PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Home Axles

drsogr
03-27-2006, 08:23 AM
I found a home made trailer for sale with mobile home axles on it. Are mobile home axles as good as regular trailer axles? Do they have a typical bolt setup for the rims? Can you go to the salvage yard and get rims for them? Can you add brakes to an axles like that?

If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate it.

br549oicu8
03-27-2006, 08:41 AM
Very heavy duty axles but as I remember the tire size is 14.5. Weird size.
I doubt that they can be converted to lighter duty rims. Might check with a tire store..

LupineLandscaping
03-27-2006, 11:12 AM
I just looked at a home made trailer w/ mobile home axles. They are very heavy duty axles and yes the tire set up is odd. I don't know what you could do to change the tire set up or add brakes but the good news is that you can generally pick up a tire and rim for the axle for around 10$ used. So it's a trade off. I wouldn't reccomend using them, unless it was for that seldomly used trailer that hauls trash or just debris. Good luck,
sp

drsogr
03-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Thanks for your help guys. This trailer would be used practically everyday.

FearThisDeere
03-27-2006, 04:17 PM
I had a homemade dual axle car trailer with mobile home axles. It was very heavy duty. The wheels and tires pretty much come as a pair, or atleast it is the easiest way to get them. About $10 per tire and wheel seems about right. My trailer had brakes, but I never wired them in, so it can be done. All in all they are just as good if not better than anyother trailer axle. If you need new tires and wheels go do a mobile home park or a place that sells mobile homes and they can hook you up with stuff that they don't need, or just take them off someone's house when they aren't looking!:laugh:

drsogr
03-27-2006, 05:15 PM
LOL...take them off someone else's home. You are killing me.

So I take it they are not a typical bolt pattern. If they are heavy duty....why are they not recommended?

cward76
03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Mobile home axles not bad to have on a trailer if you have access to tires. I have built two trailers and have used mobile home axles on both. They both have dual axles. My dad sets up mobile homes for a living and these trailers go to work every day. On average 100-250 miles per day for the last 12 years. So, these trailers really have the miles on them. Also, they are loaded with around 300 concrete blocks @ 42lb a peace half of that distance.
The tires are a lot better than they were a few years ago. Most are either (12 or 14) ply. Dad has a truck pick up around (50-100) axles and (100-200) tires a month that he takes off new houses. He sales them for $49 on the brake axles and $39 on the drag axles. He gets $25 on the new tires and $10 to $15 on the not so new ones. Most newer ones are (12 or 14)ply. He usually wears a set for a month or so and swaps them out before they are to bad to sell.

The rims of the tires are open and they are mounted to the axles with a washer that fits the rim. If the lugs are loose or the washers are worn the rim will pop off the axle. But if they are put on right the time, they will stay on.

If money was not a problem I would go with the regular axles because they seam to ride smoother. But I would be scared of the mobile home axles. They are made for abuse. And yes there are brake axles.
I hope this helps some, Cheyenne

Madstriper
03-27-2006, 06:55 PM
We used those axles on the trailers at my dad's equipment rental store, for carrying Bobcat trackhoes, skidsteers, and track loaders. They are strong, very strong, tires are cheap, and I only remember changes bearings two or three times in many years. The tire and rim combos cost us $25 new( basically new).
I would say it would be an asset to have these axles.

drsogr
03-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys for the help. I appreciate it. The rims and axles around here could be had easily I am sure. There is a lot of trailer parks in the area. I was guessing that they would be pretty heavy duty. Do they look goofy on trailers or is it something that really doesn't look too bad?

gammon landscaping
03-27-2006, 09:13 PM
they are dayton axles that mean not bolts that tighten them they are wedged on to the hubs. they are not recomended because for the longest time when you bought a home the axles came with them so the were designed to go a few hundred miles and that was it. so they would save money by puting cheap berrings and races in them. not to metion cheap break systems. they will carry a heavy load but not that far. most people that run them alot have already replaced the berrings with better. but if you really look at a pile of moblie home axles you will notice that 1 out of 10 is bent because they have to put 8-12 of them on the homes. so when you turn that you tend to tear up stuff. the up side is now you have to pay extra for the axels now. because they are a little better these days so the companys can reuse them

jim dailey
03-28-2006, 07:02 PM
I found a home made trailer for sale with mobile home axles on it. Are mobile home axles as good as regular trailer axles? Do they have a typical bolt setup for the rims? Can you go to the salvage yard and get rims for them? Can you add brakes to an axles like that?

If anyone has any insight on this I would appreciate it.

I built my own 20' enclosed. I am on my 3rd set of axles. The first 2 sets were bought from Northern. They were NOT strong enough. I then purchased a used set of mobile home axles. They are DEXTER 8,000 lb. axles. That is, 8,000 lbs., each. They have electric brakes already on them. I cut 3' out of the center of both of them. That was necessary to lengthen the width to accomodate my trailer. The wall thickness of the axles is 1/4". I then purchased a large length of ROLLED STEEL. The wall thickness of that is 5/16th of an inch. The lengths of rolled steel were cut to fill the space between the insides of the leaf springs. I then had the axles professionally welded by a good friend. I now have a carriage under my trailer that is good for 16,000 lbs. of weight. I carry 1 Stander, 2 W/B's, a 22 incher and a lot of hand tools. I have no problem with the weight issue. I only received 2 rims in the deal, so had to order 4 new ones from a mobile home dealer in TN. Then I went to a Goodyear Tire Store and ordered the 14.5" tires. They are 12-ply and 7.5" wide. $250.00 for the new tires. $100.00 for the new rims. The rims are kept on the drums by "KEEPERS". It works on the same principle as the BUDD WHEELS on a semi truck trailer. I have had NO problems with the axles at all. I will be moving to sunny Florida in a couple of months. I will go through all of the bearings and races. brake magnets and electric brake wiring before my trip. Wish me luck...JIM.

FearThisDeere
03-28-2006, 07:59 PM
It works on the same principle as the BUDD WHEELS on a semi truck trailer.
You hit the nail on the head. That is what I was thinking about, but it escaped my mind. It makes them fairly easy to change. Just don't tighten the lug nut bolts too hard, as they break easy with an impace wrench and an inexperienced user!:hammerhead:

PLM-1
03-28-2006, 08:17 PM
You might make sure that mobile home axles are legal in KS. A buddy of mine had a gooseneck with tri-mobile home axles, and he was told that they are not road legal...just something to think about if DOT is heavy in your area.

captjack
03-31-2006, 09:22 PM
I think Gammon is right on. The axles in question here where made for a purpose and that purpose was to get a very heavy object from point A to point B and where it will sit for the rest of its life. If I remember right you cant service the breaks one those axles and the brake shoes are a lot thinner then the standard servicable Dexter Axles. The backing plate is welded on so you cant change the brake shoes. I have a trailer that has 6k Dexter Axles they look like the mobile home type but they are not - they are fully servicable axles with electric brakes. The tire/wheel set up is fine I have changed the tires on the trailer and its not hard to get them centered on the hub. Good luck

oldrustycars
03-31-2006, 09:54 PM
i never used mobile home axles, but i have used those type of dayton hubs. they use a wedge type retainer, i used a brick next to the tire and spin it, watching for the tire to wobble. may have to tighten one side, and loosen the other, you'll get the hang of it. the tires were 14 ply, about 150 each.
by the way, a "budd" style wheel uses regular lug nuts, just like a car. some with dual wheels have an inner and outer nut. a "dayton" or spoke type, uses the wedge retainers around the edge. in any case, i would use all NEW wheel bearings and seals, packed in good lithium grease, before using the trailer. then you'll know its right.

Gravel Rat
03-31-2006, 10:47 PM
Mobile home axles are not legal in B.C. Canada either. I have seen those axles bend pretty easy and seen the spindle snap off of one. They are only designed for one purpose and it is to move the trailer to one spot and thats it.

Most manufactured homes (new name for mobile home) doesn't come with those axles anymore most of them are axle less. The people that move those trailers have special dollies that chain under them and a hitch that bolts on the front. Once they get the trailer to the site take the hitch off and pull the dollies out job done.

What we make axles out of is old Dana 60s chop the center chunk out and weld a piece of pipe inbetween. Making some brakes work is the tough part usually is vacuum over juice.

DLCS
03-31-2006, 11:23 PM
Mobile home axles are not legal in B.C. Canada either. I have seen those axles bend pretty easy and seen the spindle snap off of one. They are only designed for one purpose and it is to move the trailer to one spot and thats it.

Most manufactured homes (new name for mobile home) doesn't come with those axles anymore most of them are axle less. The people that move those trailers have special dollies that chain under them and a hitch that bolts on the front. Once they get the trailer to the site take the hitch off and pull the dollies out job done.

What we make axles out of is old Dana 60s chop the center chunk out and weld a piece of pipe inbetween. Making some brakes work is the tough part usually is vacuum over juice.

I agree with Gravel Rat.

Those axles are not designed for everyday use. Why would they put good axles under a mobile home if it was intended to sit most if not all of its life in one spot.

But like Gravel Rat siad, they don't use regular axles anymore most use dollies and a removable hitch.

BTW, not legal in Illinois to use those axles on anything other than a mobil home.

Gravel Rat
03-31-2006, 11:45 PM
We have a Atco trailer at my famillies company its used as a office just moving it around the yard we bent a spindle. The wheels are not that strong either.