PDA

View Full Version : Damn...

Adam3669
03-27-2006, 04:27 PM
My mom just came in (im 16) and started yelling at me about how I'm not a business owner and about how I'm trying to be somthing I'm not, and that I'm just a neighboorhood lawn boy. That makes me feel like crap, I try to do this as 'professionally' as possibly and personally, I view myself just as professional as the 30 year old guy thats been doing it for 10 years. It just sucks when you don't have any support from your family to do this.

Sorry, Just had to vent a little.

HK45Mark23
03-27-2006, 04:33 PM
Jesus said that “A profit is not known in his own country.”

The longer you perform professionally, seek to be professional and educate your self in all aspects of business as well as turf management the better off you will be. In time you will be considered to be a professional by many. But in reality many famous people have ben successful in the worlds eyes and very profitable and yet never obtained their parents favor.

Just stick to your plan, and be flexible enough to take criticism and move on.

EPIC
03-27-2006, 04:52 PM
i never was thought to make anyting of myslef by friends or family just a party kid. when my mother passed last year i changed my life a have a good lawn company am about to get married and adopted to little girls which i raise and am told i am a very good father. friends that knew me my whole lifenever thought i would do nething with my self. it was all the " ur just talking shyt" or " ull never do anying" or just work at mc donalds" and all that crap that made me more determend to prove them wrong. most people from my experince and i am only 25 by the way is that anyone who said that to me where really made cause the didnt make something of themselves. i dont have as many friends not . most of them are always like he thinks he is better than us now " and you know what i do think that. so why they are 28 living with mommy i am a man and they are a boy nuf said lol

Scotts' Yard Care
03-27-2006, 05:18 PM
Jesus said" A prophet is not without honor save in his own country" But your version is probably closer to the truth for most of us:laugh:

rfed32
03-27-2006, 05:25 PM
dude dotn worry about it....everyone was like that...now my parents want me to do everything mulch cut plow u name it....only one of my gf's beleived in me and i wish i would have stayed with her...i am the same way, all u have to do is show them that u truely care about what u do and they will come around...even if its not gettin sleep between school working homework and billing...show them u bust ur assssssss ok....good luck with them it will prob get worse b4 it gets better....i have been kciked out and they let me back all u have to do is show them how profes. u are

StBalor
03-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Wait till you start hearing, "when are you gonna get a real job"
I make as much yearly as these people but only have to work 8-9 months for it.

Splicer
03-27-2006, 05:32 PM
Why would Mom just start screaming at you? You acting too big for your britches? Just trying to see things your way but let me tell you something and it would be wise for you to remember: There are 3 sides to every story; Yours, Theirs and The Truth...

Splicer
03-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Nobody is going to say that as long as you have your bills paid. This is a honest living. At least you aren't out buying crack and getting popped...:usflag:

stroker51
03-27-2006, 10:02 PM
Hey man, don't let anyone, and i mean anyone discourage you. I have been lucky to have the support of my family from the git go, but I have seen how it is to not have it. Prove yourself yes, but don't work your entire life just to prove to your mother that you are running a business or can be a success or whatever. My Grandad did this, he always felt that he had to prove somthing to his Dad. He built Swimming Pools in the Kansas City area, as well as most other parts of Kansas for 30 years,always trying to prove somthing, and sacrificed a lot of important things for it, such as family. My mom and her brother and sister didnt have much of a father figure for the early part of their lives. He came around to seeing the important things in life when us Grandkids started to come around, and was a big part of my life until he died in 2000. I guess my point is this, and we are both young so working a lot isnt so much of a problem, but don't work so much to prove somthing to someone that you get to the point that all you see is Financial and business success. My Grandad was VERY good at what he did, but at what cost did he gain this reputation? It could have been done without sacrificing as much. Sorry to ramble, this just brought back some memories/thoughts. Don't listen to the naysayers, keep on doing your thing and you will do fine.

Adam3669
03-27-2006, 10:06 PM
thanks guys, really needed to hear that.

stroker did your granddad build any pools in the johnson county area?

Tim Wright
03-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Just prove her wrong.

Tim

Dunn's
03-27-2006, 10:37 PM
Just as they said. Do it for you if they dont believe in you never will. I'm 24 own my own home been an Army Ranger, won the Saint Louis golden gloves am a coach an an inner city boxing gym. Oh yeah I own My own lawncare company well me and my fiance and they still dont think that much of me. I spent most of my child hood in and out of childrens homes or juvenile facilitysand still accomplished all this. But I'm still a Nobody in their eyes. So if it helps their is others that go through the same stuff we just accomplish more than others because of it.

adavenp4
03-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Hey, Dont worry I am 20 years old and I hear it all the time from my friends saying all I do is study rocks and cut grass. I own a very profitable business and the funny is thing that I think about is that I get paid 4 times as much as they do. I just keep my mouth shut and keep on trucking and getting the job done.

Andrew

jbone
03-28-2006, 01:45 AM
Thats kinda funny Im 20 and Im in the exact same situation but Im not even at the "neighborhood lawn boy" stage yet I still have to get equipment and everything together. I decided to take a break from school for personal reasons and go into this business. I plan on going back next semester but I wanted to get soemthing started. My parents were flipping out on me too. and like you said it makes me mroe determined to prove them and everyone else wrong when they say it wont work, I dont have the experience, blah blah blah. In one ear and out the other!

Brianslawn
03-28-2006, 02:49 AM
My mom just came in (im 16) and started yelling at me about how I'm not a business owner and about how I'm trying to be somthing I'm not, and that I'm just a neighboorhood lawn boy. That makes me feel like crap, I try to do this as 'professionally' as possibly and personally, I view myself just as professional as the 30 year old guy thats been doing it for 10 years. It just sucks when you don't have any support from your family to do this.

my dad used to be treat me like that and tell me to get a real job cause i cant make any money mowing. now he works for me part time cause he cant make any money at his real job. :dizzy:

you shall have your revenge!!!!!!!

you better have biz lic and insurance, too!

garth1967
03-28-2006, 03:42 AM
Just prove her wrong.

Tim

better still prove yourself right.being professional is in attitude and approach.i have a suggestion,watch forrest gump and the big fish.being professional is so simple.whether it be parents or friends .....whatever,this your life not theirs.live good and by the law

bigjeeping
03-28-2006, 05:28 AM
tell them they can choose...

you cut grass or you do extacy.

daveintoledo
03-28-2006, 08:33 AM
so what you are just a kid, and you probably dont run it like a true business YET...... BUT.......you ae closer then most people ever get, you are getting the experience and trainiing you need so when you turn 18........ you can take care of all the rest of the formalities that you cant do yet....no big deal, just keep doing what your doing........they will see... you are going to go to college right.....:drinkup:

diamondcare
03-28-2006, 08:48 AM
you can be 16 and have everything legal.

i'm there.

i'm reg. with the state of missouri and still getting to the feds for tax.

rfed32
03-28-2006, 09:26 AM

that one is the worst....

CutNLawns
03-28-2006, 12:33 PM
My wife and now i am listening to the same thing (we're 35). My wife wanted to go to beauty school when she got out oof HS because that is what SHE wanted to do. Her family discouraged her from going telling because in thier mind they pictured all "hair stylists" as those who has a shop in thier own home (not that there is anything wrong with that) making $50/day. Well she went to school when we moved away at 25yrs of age. After 8yrs of doing hair she now averages about $75/hr take home plus we now own the salon she works at for around $400K in revenue. She followed through with what she wanted to do so don't let people talk you out of doing what you want to do.

I told my parenent I was tired of my cushy Engineering job and was going to do what i wanted and start a lawn care company which I did last year. I think the problem they have is now they don't like to tell thier friends that I cut grass instead of an Engineer. Anyway if you ask they they just say was an Engineer and retired at 35????? Only makes me want to work harder to prove that not only is this a legitimate business but if done correctly you can make a great living doing what you want to do. Keep after it!

mike lane lawn care
03-28-2006, 07:44 PM
wow, my dad supports me and my mom semi-supports me. the only thing she says is "if you're planning on doing this as a career, then get a buisness and horticulture degree". this just goes to show you how backwards my family is. but, there are several people who do landscaping and such in my family. my grandfather has been working on a farm for 20 years, and worked for the town before that. and my uncle, just sold both of his custom built houses(1 was lakefront) and bought a hobbyist farm, because that's what he likes. so it's not like everyone in my family is a rocket scientist.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-28-2006, 07:54 PM

Young man... your mother is right... but one day if you do the right thing , you will be a LCO! if thats what you really want to be when you grow up.:laugh:

topsites
03-28-2006, 10:45 PM

LOL I've heard that one !!!
Now I'm a little below the average annual american income, but I dare say I actually work maybe 6 or 7 months out of the year, so it's all good <- This last bit makes some folks throw the crap our way, maybe they're jealous but there's a fine line between not working a lot so long you can pay the bills, and just being plain lazy (I suspect sometimes I'm right on that line if not a little over lol).

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-- Mahatma Gandhi

I catch it, too... And caught it for many years... I suspect in some ways folks don't want to see you (or me) succeed, so to speak. They say they do, but later turn right around and throw a pile of dung our way, it's just how it is. Then to some people, if you're not earning at least 100k / year that's not good enough, and then if you do earn 100k, they think 250k would be more like it so you can't please everybody all the time.

It's one reason why I bought first one, then later another bmw...
And still it's not good enough for everybody, but it did help.
Not to say you should buy a bmw, but my advice to you is strive to go up, up, and up - always.
There's still always a few, but so long you're mostly on the up + up, most of them leave you alone.
On that note, consistent persistence is the key.

topsites
03-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I told my parenent I was tired of my cushy Engineering job and was going to do what i wanted and start a lawn care company which I did last year. I think the problem they have is now they don't like to tell thier friends that I cut grass instead of an Engineer. Anyway if you ask they they just say was an Engineer and retired at 35????? Only makes me want to work harder to prove that not only is this a legitimate business but if done correctly you can make a great living doing what you want to do. Keep after it!

Funny you say that, I find ridicule tends to drive me, too.
Far as your parents, tell them you're an Lco, which stands for Landscape Corporation Organization or Landscape Company Officer or make up some such good-sounding thing (I never did figure out what exactly Lco stands for, but I've made up some real good ones over the years).

One thing can help as well is form an LLC (Limited Liability Company) because that in and of itself sounds good but now you can legally call yourself the President or the Executive Officer or some such great-sounding bs. Likely, once incorporated you can file both your wife's and your own business under the LLC, so then your wife becomes the Veep and you're the XO or the other way around or whatever floats your boat.

To some extent, you almost have to acquire a little 'my dookie don't stink' attitude and walk with your head high (but not too high, your nose might bleed and if the chip is too big, someone will try to knock it off all the time).