PDA

View Full Version : i want to starter aeration service ?

EPIC
03-27-2006, 06:00 PM
need help dont have alot of money to put in it right now so what would be a good start . maybe a core aerator from home depo what do u guys think was looking to spend only up to maybe $300 but hopefully less for now till i get a few jobs in

please help

Runner
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
this topic hes been discussed several times over the last 5 or 6 years. Here's what you do. First of all, you don't go out and throw your money away on a toy aerator like what is available at home cheapo. First of all, they don't work. What I mean by this, is that they are essentially ineffective. The tines are spaced so far apart, and are so shallow that you are doing next to nothing. Second of al, they are NOT built for commercial use and will fall apart from any heavier use. These are designed for Mr. Johnson to get out of the back of the shed once a year and and pull behind his home depot john deere tractor around his subdivision lot just before he spreads hi scotts "weed and feed".
Now,...on to how it IS done. First, I have no idea how many customers you have and/or how many of these aerations you can sell. Go around and sell all the aerations you can, and set them up. *What I mean by set them up is that you have to make provisions for irrigation systems, access, etc.. Next, after you have these set up, you book them all for a weekend. You rent an aerator - a REAL aerator, and you go out and do all your aerations. Now, notice I had mentioned a weekend to do these. there are two reasons. 1. Many times you can get a discount and/or no rental fees for Sundays, since many of them are closed. If they don't do that, shop for a place that does. 2. When you do these on a saturday, when everyone is home, Mr Jones looks across the street and sees Mr. Miller getting his lawn aerated. Well, Mr. Jones can't have that, so he will want the service done, too. It sells. You can set enough of these up, plan your route, and knock a bunch of these down in an afternoon if you have your act together and a system of operation. You will pay for your rent with your first yard, and you are good to go for the rest of them. It is just good business sense (take it while you can get it, because I don't give it very often). I hope this helps, and good luck with it.

EPIC
03-27-2006, 06:32 PM
thanks made alot of sense

you're the man

i get more info from everthing i read when u post replies than anyone else and i have alomst 40 accouts btw thankx

StBalor
03-27-2006, 06:34 PM
That is a real good way of doing it. If you really want to buy 1 though, go down to your local rental store and ask them if they have 1 they want to sell?
I brought a bluebird dethatcher from my rental store 4 years ago for 150.00. It was in great shape and the guy told me they would straight out sell any piece of equipment they have. So it does not hurt to ask.

Runner
03-27-2006, 06:45 PM
That is always a good way to go. Many times they've been through the ringer, but if you kno what to look for, it is a good way to go. Even by the time you change all the tines, maybe a belt, or some other miscellanious stuff, you are STILL way ahead of buying new. You have to be careful with this, tough. Like I say, make sure you know what to look for.

rfed32
03-27-2006, 09:11 PM
like stb said go to a rental shop...thats where i picked up my dethatcher and it works good...if u friendly with them they might cut u a deal, i've gone in there so many times b4 i started landscapin for the construction company i work for they knew me by 1st name theyg ave me a little bit of a deal...200hrs for 350bucks cant beat it when u know the service it as it comes in at the end of the day...or another thing...rent one for a little bit till u get some moeny under ur belt but try to line up a few so u can bang out 3,4,5,6 in a day and only have to pay one daily rate and then buy somehting