PDA

View Full Version : sleeve size?

tonypop
03-27-2006, 05:43 PM
Am boring under a track (sports field) running a 3.00 supply, trying to get away with a 4.00 sleeve. dont want to go with a 6.00, think I can get away with this? running a separate sleeve for elec. :confused:

jerryrwm
03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Am boring under a track (sports field) running a 3.00 supply, trying to get away with a 4.00 sleeve. dont want to go with a 6.00, think I can get away with this? running a separate sleeve for elec. :confused:

NOPE!! Not gonna happen

koster_irrigation
03-27-2006, 06:08 PM
can't you use a 2.5" supply and then use a 4" sleeve?

Wet_Boots
03-27-2006, 06:16 PM
What if he used a 4-inch SDR-26 sleeve? :p

phototropic1
03-27-2006, 07:00 PM
I know boring sucks! It's so boring!!! HaHa :hammerhead: Make sure you leave yourself a little wiggle room. It really stinks to have to do another bore when you could have wiped it out with one. And usually reaming a bore a little wider is not as much trouble as a complete bore. But that all depends on what is under the track. You, no doubt, know this conundrum. I don't think I've helped here....

tonypop
03-27-2006, 09:01 PM
yea boots, that is what i was going to use, figuring it was not as flexible. but was wondering if anyone came across this layout. .500 is not much clearance.

Dirty Water
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
It will fit (not a bell), but you'll never get it back out.

PurpHaze
03-27-2006, 09:57 PM

Like others have said, "NO!" :hammerhead:

Not knowing what your exact situation is, why do you want to sleeve it? [I'm betting because a LA specified it that way.] If the reason is due to potential leaks coming up through the track surface then you'd better put the 6" in as a sleeve. If leakage is not critical then just bore the 3" main line and let it be. If you really want to put 3" through 4" then switch to HDPE pipe through the sleeve. The "weld" lines are flush to the pipe and you'll be able to push it through easily. Of course you'll have to sub it out to someone that handles HDPE for butt fusion welding but they can also weld flanges at both ends so a PVC flange glued to the ends of your PVC will make the transition. Just bolt them together with a full faced gasket between the flanges.

tonypop
03-28-2006, 03:50 PM
you win the bet purp, LA specs. if it wasn't for inspection, i'd put it in without sleeving.

PurpHaze
03-28-2006, 09:31 PM
It's actually a good idea since you'll be carrying water and possible wiring into an isolated area. It will give you more options in the future but I'm curious why the LA didn't spec out a sleeve size. They're such control freaks. :dizzy:

We have many areas where main lines have been covered up by various things and have never leaked. Of course there's always the exception and something will really blow up. Sounds like a lot of fun. :laugh: