PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Installation, tough site access, lots of grading...

BSDeality
03-27-2006, 07:10 PM
Got a call for a lawn install of 27K sqft. The HO had a major patio/ retaining wall installed and the contractor isn't putting the lawn back in, he simply did a rough grade and is leaving it at that. There are basically two areas, one is about 11K and the other is 16K. Site access is no problem on the 11K, but the 16K'er has virtually no truck/machine access to drop topsoil, it will have to be dumped over an embankment (that will be lawn in the end) and then shuttled to the lawn (farthest point about 150' away) to be spread to raise the grade by 2". All together I estimate to use 180yds topsoil.

Whats the best method to attack this? My plan is to move all the topsoil with a large skid steer from the hill to the new lawn arrea. While I'm shuttling the topsoil I will have the grading done by my cousin with a 6way dozer blade Komatsu. Then final rake and seed,fert and hay it with some manual labor. I will also be looking into hydroseed if the HO can assure me that everything will stay watered.

PSUturf
03-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Can you get a Dingo with tracks to the inaccessible area? Maybe lower it there with a winch if it's too steep.
Is it possible to regrade with existing soil instead of hauling in a lot of new soil? A lot of people think they have to bring in new topsoil every time they plant a grass seed. Grass will grow on most anything if you manage it right.

BSDeality
03-28-2006, 05:03 PM
I can get the machines to the bottom of the hill where the topsoil will be dropped by going behind the house. I'm wondering how far down the topsoil is going to "roll" when they drop it, if it doesn't roll far enough I will have to use the dozer to push it down the hill I guess.

HO asked for 3" raise in grade, I'm going to tell him 1.5-2" will be more economically feasible. I'm sure I could manage with whats there, but if he asks for it, i'll do it (cha-ching)

CutRight
03-28-2006, 05:49 PM
what exactly is blocking access to the area?

BSDeality
03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
10' near vertical drop, I might be able to make a road with the first tri-axle for the delivery guy to get farther down into the lawn, then I'll have to break it apart at the end of the day.