PDA

View Full Version : Business vehicle magnets stolen

Dunn's
03-27-2006, 10:39 PM
So today, I was at the local lawn mower dealer, El-Mel. When we went in, there were no other customers there except for one, other than us. The other customer purchased belts for a commercial lawnmower and to our surprise when we came out, our vehicle magnets were gone, on BOTH sides!! We retraced our whole route there just to make sure that they didn't fall off the truck, but those things don't fall off that easy. So, that does it, this freakin' guy stole our business magnets because we are competition? But where we live, we could cut anywhere, nowhere near his area, what the hell? Anyone else ever have any similar problems? If so, please share so I can feel like I am not alone on this, and have the worst luck in the world. So :angry: I could :cry:

PaulJ
03-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I "lost" a set last fall. These magnets have STUCK on my truck through about everything but last fall right before thanksgiving I went to another small town ot help a friend with some remodel work in a commercial building of his. I am sure they were on when I left home and pretty sure they were on when I got there. We go inside and come out a hour later and they are gone. I was parked on a busy street about 2 blocks from a school but why would someone want a couple of lawn care magnets? If they were lost you would think someone might find them and call the number on them. That's what I would do.
You just cant count on average intelligence form some people.

Dunn's
03-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Yeah, that's what you would think an average person would do. We don't understand why anyone would want them, I mean it has OUR name on it, what could they possibly do with it?

mindset063
03-27-2006, 10:58 PM
I don't think they fell off.... someone is trying to hurt the competition!!!!! F%&@ing loosers! I say when you go to a common place in which you might run into competition, take the signs off while your inside.

bradluvsjesus
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
steal your competition or just a bunch of stupid high school kids thinking they are funny. the guys at my college steal big school signs and put them up in their room. signs that cost a lot...

Dunn's
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Every other time we go into a place we always take them off, why didn't we today? ...Especially at a place, like you said, where we will have competition there. I guess we learned our lesson though.

rfed32
03-28-2006, 12:44 AM
well how about this...one day i was at the shore and hangin out with a couple buddies and i come out to my truck and there is a set of mags on there for a local ice cream shop...but didnt know untill i got bacl to the house i was stayin at....it was on the pass side and the tailgate so i had no clue...i know it wasnt my buddies b.c they were with me...u cant single out kids in the matter b.c u never know...thats why i dont do the whole mag thing...i have seen to manythings happen...i have a licens plate on the front of my truck and a vinal cut deacal on the back window...soon to put them on the side windows too...

topsites
03-28-2006, 02:12 AM
Don't use magnetic signs, they always come off.

At least that's been my experience... Sometimes one or the other, sometimes both.
Once lost, they are always gone forever (you will NEVER find a sign that came off while driving).

Yes, I've thought mine got stolen years ago... But later I actually saw / heard one come off while I was driving and turned right around and still could not find it - the bottom surface is dark, and it's a thin but flexible thing so wherever it lands, it will mold itself to the surface (the more so if it's hot outside).
Once, I did find one... It had only just come off and landed, and it was cracked and ruined.
They are very fragile.

They cost 50-80 dollars each, and you will get tired of replacing them.

When it gets hot, the heat erodes the magnetism from the sign.
When it gets cold, the chill makes the sign stiff and brittle.

When it's windy or the breeze hits the curve of the car just right, off it comes.

Far as someone stealing it to hurt you?
I've never heard of this but I wouldn't put it past some folks either...
By having mag.signs, one unfortunately facilitates this.
Still, the chances of theft vs. it come off while driving?
I'd put my money on it coming off.

midwest
03-28-2006, 02:18 AM
Never had a problem with this. Thought it would be a problem when I first got my magnets. Buy they way How is El-Mel?What do they sell? I think they are a little far from us. They are in North County right?

Brianslawn
03-28-2006, 03:42 AM
my signs are 2'x8' plywood bolted on solid. they never 'come off.' on the trucks we use the same stuff the cops use on their cars. reflective, too.

Dunn's
03-28-2006, 07:28 PM
To Midwest:

There is an El-Mel in North County on N. Highway 67 across from Jamestown Mall and there is also another one in Saint Charles on First Capitol, across the street from a pet store with a coy pond in front. They sell new and used / rebuilt trimmers, blowers, commercial and residential mowers. Their addresses and numbers are:

2139 First Capitol Dr, St. Charles (636) 946-9049
6185 N. Hwy 67, Florissant (314) 741-2117

iluvscag
03-28-2006, 07:30 PM
That sucks.

midwest
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
How do you like their services? What kind do they sell?

cha-chas plowing and lawn
03-28-2006, 09:33 PM
same here we just our new one,s on id say 1hr later thay were stolen:cry: :hammerhead:

MMLawn
03-28-2006, 09:41 PM
He did you a favor. Magnetic signs are cheesy and for wanabes and part-timers, professionals use professional lettering.

Dunn's
03-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Most of their workers are very friendly and know a lot about the equipment they sell Toro, echo, snapper pro, john deere, stihl, and I believe they can get other brands for you as well.

The magnets are for people who dont want the whole world to know that they have a few thousand dollars of equipment in the garage buy just looking at the truck in front unfortunately we cant all live in Hometown USA. If you havent noticed saint louis has had the highest crime in the country for a couple of years going now.

Freddy_Kruger
03-28-2006, 09:56 PM
He did you a favor. Magnetic signs are cheesy and for wanabes and part-timers, professionals use professional lettering.
That was Exactly my thought, EXACTLY!