PDA

View Full Version : Advice on my News Paper Add

Full throttle lawn care
03-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Any advice on makeing my add better?

grandview (2006)
03-27-2006, 10:09 PM
I kind of like it are you hiding your phone #?

mindset063
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Looks great!! I would hate to pay for the cost to run it though. I hope you get a good response. Good luck!

Full throttle lawn care
03-27-2006, 10:23 PM
I decided to leave my phone number out. I pay 400.00 for 6month in my local paper. It's a double size add. I really need HELP with my LOVE YOUR LAWN PACKAGE. What's in the package? What would you offer in this special package?:confused:

Killswitch
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
That ad looks like something from the forties. Whered you get that? Seriously.....it looks pretty old school but no matter I suppose.

Love your lawn package....Who's idea was that and why dont you know what it is????

:confused:

1MajorTom
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
I do not like the "love your lawn" package. What exactly does that mean?
Get down to business, and tell the reader what services you provide instead.

grandview (2006)
03-27-2006, 10:33 PM
I thought the same thing so i would call you to find out what it is.

Have your package deal by the phone so when they ask you tell them and set up the estimate right away.

Full throttle lawn care
03-27-2006, 10:42 PM
This is the first week for the add so I need to think quick on my new offering. Any ideas what should be in the package? How would YOU sell this package?I really need help here. :confused:

Full throttle lawn care
03-27-2006, 10:53 PM
Do you like the hearts?:rolleyes:

dcgreenspro
03-27-2006, 11:03 PM
Dude, you need to give people a discount for your services that you are going to provide in your "love your lawn" or what ever. If you have some seed and starter fert and an aerifier offer it in a combo package and discount it if they sign up for a whole year.

interesting logo...looks cool:weightlifter:

4curbappeal
03-27-2006, 11:05 PM
I don't hate it, but you need a phone number! If I were interested, then how could I reach you? You must live in a small town because that ad would cost me about $450 a week.

4curbappeal
03-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Maybe take out the hearts and add a phone number!!! It kind of looks and sounds like you live in a pretty small town, but the client still needs to be able to contact you!

Good luck!!!!

Full throttle lawn care
03-27-2006, 11:58 PM
The phone number is on the bottom,it's just not in the picture. The problem I'm haveing with my special is there's nothing I can offer that I don't offer now. I don't do chemicals just a full service mow and blow. :clapping:

dcgreenspro
03-28-2006, 12:10 AM
you don't do anything else? aerify, seed, mulch, edge

TURF DOCTOR
03-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Man i have ran a few ads in my day keep it simple,lawn work, or mowing something simple with a name and a number.

Full throttle lawn care
03-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Edging is part of my full service. I did do a small mulch job last week for the first time and really liked it. I'm a one man band so I try to keep things small and simple. This is my 2nd year ever cutting grass in my life and I'm 36. I practiced on my grass for a little over a year and found out I really like doing lawn care so I started up my own biz. So far I'm really liking the Biz.

dcgreenspro
03-28-2006, 12:41 AM
I would definetly remove the love your lawn thing if you aren't going to do any of that stuff. mybe offer incentive to sign up with you for a year at a special rate instead. Just trying to help you make the most you can with the ad.:dancing:

Full throttle lawn care
03-28-2006, 12:58 AM
My whole idea behind this add was to target WOMEN! From what I've noticed there much easier to work with so I came up with this add or package late one night and just figured I would try it out in the paper and see if It works. I just figured by the time the add hit the paper I would have something put together. I just may have to wing it for a while and see if it develops into something.:dizzy:

AlleganyLawnCare
03-28-2006, 08:55 AM
I ma not trying to bash you or your ad. And I am sure you don't want to hear this. But I am a small business operator, my funds for advertising are strictly limited. So when I place an ad, I put it together, knowing in advance exactly what I am putting in it, meaning I know what I am offering to all of those potential clients that will read my ads. I am not saying they are fancy, I have done that before, found that they were a waste of money. I personally found an ad direct and to the point, spelling out exactly what I can do for them is the best way to go. I normally take a week or two to put a small ad together (even a 5-line classified ad) before I even actually call the newspaper up to place it. A lot longer for a large ad. I can't afford to spend $100 a month on a classified ad or $250 for a one-time display ad, just to find out I screwed it up royally, or don't even know what I, myself is offering.

When you write an ad, slow down, think about it for a day or two. Look it over (as a potential client wold do). Put it down. Think again about it from a potential clients' perspective for a couple of hours. This may sound mundane, but most people when looking for services to be done, they just don't read the ad, pick up the phone, and say "sign me up". They read the ad, they put it down, think about what the ad said, and how it would help them. Then might decide to call. They might even wait a day or week before calling. Always think about your ad from the potential clients' point of view. It always helps to get another persons (spouse, friend, coworker, etc) opinion on the ad prior to placement. They may see a mistake or even a better way of bringing your message across. Alot of business owners have the tendancy to think one-dimensional (like having blinders on). They have the mentality, it is my business, I will do it MY way, for it is the ONLY way. A successful business needs a good leader, that can not only run a business, make decisions on the run, but who is also is willing to ask for opinions/help/advice before making finanicial decisions or taking on major tasks. If you do something on a whim, chances are you will regret it. Have you ever made up a form, thought it looked good (say an estimate sheet, or a yard task sheet), printed it up a couple of times. To find out you missed something. So you corrected it, then printed it out several more times, to find out you did the same thing again? By the time you got it correct completely, you were out of ink? It is the same principle.

Well anyways, I know you probably did not want to read all of that, or feel lectured to. Sorry for that. I do envy you, for you are able to place such large ads for such a small amount. I wish I could. Even our weekly free newspaper would be out of touch for that rate and length of time for an ad that size. Chalk the lesson up, and learn upon it. And don't do it again.

Also, ask the newspaper if you are able to change the ad. Since you have six months on it, I would think you could. But I would do it asap - but remember, think about your new ad first for awhile, before sending it in.

Splicer
03-28-2006, 09:14 AM
Love the ad, looks good and is eye catching...The 'Love your Lawn' package deal includes:

Mowing
Edging
Trimming
Blowing

all for 10% off the normal seperate prices.

Not knowing you any better, this is how I would make the package. The package does not have to include anything special. Just bundle your services to make the package attractive to potential accounts...

StBalor
03-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Love your lawn package could include:
Mowing
edging
trimming
blowing
and flowerbed maintenance.

This would include cleaning leaves and pulling weeds every time you cut. and trimming bushes and edging flower beds when needed?
How does that sound?