PDA

View Full Version : French Drain

grassyfras
03-27-2006, 10:10 PM
Im installing a french drain about 40' long on fairly level ground with a small slope in my favor. Im planning on digging one foot down at the lowest point and filling with gravel and drain pipe (4"). How long do you think it would take to dig and remove dirt?

lawncare18
03-27-2006, 10:32 PM
Go rent a trencher.... with a trencher it shouldnt take to long at all then just backfill it wiht shovel and rake unless you have a small backhoe or something.. also will be a lot neater job with a trencher... best of luck

PSUturf
03-28-2006, 02:35 PM
1-2 hrs depending on soil just to dig the trench

grassyfras
03-28-2006, 06:55 PM
I was hoping for 2 hours sounds good.

JimLewis
03-29-2006, 12:03 AM
A trencher??? For a 40' Trench??? You're crazy! Talk about overkill!

Nah, that shouldn't take much longer than 2 hours. Maybe 3 of you got some rocky soil. But there's definitely no need to bring a trencher into the mix, unless you already own one.

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
03-29-2006, 12:14 AM
A trencher??? For a 40' Trench??? You're crazy! Talk about overkill!

Nah, that shouldn't take much longer than 2 hours. Maybe 3 of you got some rocky soil. But there's definitely no need to bring a trencher into the mix, unless you already own one.

Agreed, unless your digging in hard clay. Even then still questionable.

Dirty Water
03-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Agreed, unless your digging in hard clay. Even then still questionable.

We own a handfull of trenchers.

You'll never see me dig 40' by hand and smile about it.

JimLewis
03-29-2006, 12:28 AM
We own a handfull of trenchers.

You'll never see me dig 40' by hand and smile about it.

Like I said, if you already own one, sure. Go ahead and bring it out and use it. But if not, why go rent one just for one small 40' trench? It don't make sense.

And I agree. It ain't fun to dig a 40' trench. But I got workers that are chompin' at the bit for any kind of work I can give them. And I pay them about $11 per hour. So why rent a trencher for $125 a day (going rate here) when I could have one of my eager workers do it and cost me a whole lot less? Besides, by the time they go rent the trencher, bring it to the jobsite, take it back to the rental store, etc. that's two hours right there already. So now I gotta pay for 2 hours labor PLUS whatever the trencher costs.

grassyfras
03-29-2006, 12:41 AM
Its not even 40' true feet little less and I'm not diging a full foot either. I got a new employee who needs the hours and a boss who needs to loose weight:weightlifter:. Dig right says I can't legally dig till Friday till 8 am. Ill let you guys know.