PDA

View Full Version : Scalping lawns

realtree27
03-27-2006, 10:20 PM
How low should i cut the lawn when i scalp it? It will be bermuda grass. thanks guys

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 10:27 PM
why do you want to scalp the bermuda? Are you trying to dethatch or overseed? Define "scalp" in your terms. I may be able to help you. My yard is all Bermuda and I maintain it with a reel mower, like on a golf course or ball field. What state are you in?

Greenscapes, LLC
03-27-2006, 11:13 PM
well im in GA with bermuda, i just shaved down my bermuda last week, probly 1-1.5 inches tall right now, im gonna dethatch this weekend and follow that up with aerating and seed. Ive been taking care of my bermuda for 3 years no problems with doing it this way. i take care of it with my 21" mower.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 11:21 PM
Sounds good. I would mow it down to 1 inch (since it's a rotary mower)and then rake the hell out of it with a wire rake. I have had very good results doing the same method you are doing. My rye is fading out now and the Bermuda is getting more aggressive. I can't decide if I am going to dethatch and seed this year. I have done it the last two years and don't feel like doing it! I have 6800 sq ft of it. Takes me about 14 hours to dethatch. I get everything out, hahahaha. However, I said that last year, but it's hard to resist the urge to do it up really nice before summer with dethatching and overseeding. Bermuda is so nice. I bet you have some sweet Bermuda up in Georgia, the Bermuda headquarters. Later man!

Dave

Greenscapes, LLC
03-27-2006, 11:25 PM
yeah its nice, first year it was so nice, bad drought last summer and i just couldn't get it to green up, this year im on the attack.

Lawn Lizards
03-27-2006, 11:51 PM
man, you got me thinking. now I have the same old schedule in my head. Rye dies out, then dethatch, then Trimec weed control-wait a week, then seed-water 2-3 times per day at 20 min intervals for 2 weeks, let it grow, THEN finally apply-first the first time EVER-a Plant Growth Regulator, to cut my mowing down to 50% this year! I just learned all about the right PGR stuff to get on this forum yesterday and today. I'm so excited. Now I need to get the dang reel mower sharpened. Sorry for the long explanation. It's fun to share routines.

Dave