PDA

View Full Version : Ok Edging doesn't happen in my city.

Freddy_Kruger
03-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I can't even find a lawn care store that has them in stock, they say they are out dated. One would sell me an attachment to a stihl for 150 canadian, John Deere dealer wanted 300 bucks for a john deere model and claimed stihl is a cheaper model.

So what about this Idea.

IS it ok to edge once a month and the rest of the time just maintain the edge with a String Trimmer?

I can find an electric trimmer for 110 black and decker but...it's electric.

I can also find this hand edger, it's long stick with a Star and rubber wheel.

JJLandscapes
03-28-2006, 02:14 PM
try ebay im sure one person will send to canada

we only use the edger the first cut or cleanup of the year and they string trim every time. If you have a good person using the wacker they can make the edge just as perfect

Freddy_Kruger
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
we only use the edger the first cut or cleanup of the year and they string trim every time. If you have a good person using the wacker they can make the edge just as perfect
I like that advice. I have limited funds for this adventure, I just wanna dip my toe in the market and learn a bit this first season I mostly do window cleaning.

Do you think that I could create an egde with an attachment to a string trimmer then maintain it with the trimmer? Or would an edge be too hard to establish on an overgrown lawn with an attachment device?

Ebay is out my store can get them in but at 690 dollars. I can buy a stihl km55 for $409 and a $150 edger attachment for less than an edger by itself pfft..

Poppy
03-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Try HomeDepot.com and search for Echo PE200 which is $219.00 and use code x2m at check out for a 10% discount. I am not sure about shipping to Canada but the discount may help. This is a very nice unit and you won't waste time changing the heads back and fourth with your string trimmer.

Freddy_Kruger
03-28-2006, 05:24 PM
Try HomeDepot.com and search for Echo PE200 which is $219.00 and use code x2m at check out for a 10% discount. I am not sure about shipping to Canada but the discount may help. This is a very nice unit and you won't waste time changing the heads back and fourth with your string trimmer.
Checked it out, Homedepot.com doesn't offer international shipping. My own Homedepot is going to get back to me sometime within a week:rolleyes: to tell me if they can get it in... pfftt.. I think I will end up buying a split boom thingama-jig.

Splicer
03-28-2006, 06:19 PM
Split shaft thinga ma jigs are actually pretty nice (at least the older ones) and I think you'll be impressed. The other option is the internet that will ship to your locale.

daveintoledo
03-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Split shaft thinga ma jigs are actually pretty nice (at least the older ones) and I think you'll be impressed. The other option is the internet that will ship to your locale.

those things are junk.... if you do a search you will find they do not last...... get a dedicated stick edger....

Freddy_Kruger
03-28-2006, 07:22 PM
those things are junk.... if you do a search you will find they do not last...... get a dedicated stick edger....
600-700 bucks here:canadaflag: eekk. I'll just get "good enough" for now.

Splicer
03-29-2006, 08:49 AM
What amazes me about these things Dave is that you are right, I have heard/read about people unhappy with the split shafts. Thing is tho, I have one, have had it for about 7 years and I have had 2 problems with it:

1] I broke the flex shaft in the main (motor) part when I was chopping a tree down with the brush cutter (about 6" diameter) when I kept smacking the brush cutting blade against the trunk. This was 5 years and about 50 tree coppings later when it finally gave out. Junk? No. Just abused.
2] Somehow some way the carb settings got all flubbed up. Don't know how, maybe my neighbor who I lent it to did some 'tweaking' but the thing never ran right after I got it back. But after about 5 minutes re-tweaking I have not had to do anything to it since. That was about 2 years ago, maybe 2-1/2.

Never in 7 years have I even had to change the spark plug. She fires EVERY time on the 3rd pull on choke, then runs the 4th pull with no choke. EVERY time without exception. Again this is the ORIGINAL model that started the whole split shaft craze.

Now I was at HD last night and I was looking at all the new versions of everything. Honestly I would not buy the new plastic to do this job day in and day out. I agree with you Dave, I don't think they will last. Even the Echo models pailed by comparrison IMHO.

But I have been wrong before. Well, At least at the time I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong.:confused: :hammerhead: :laugh:

daveintoledo
03-29-2006, 09:15 AM
you may have gotten an excetional model.... but really anything from HD is fine for trimming your own yard for a few years, it doesnt get much time on it..... but if your doing 20, 40 , 60 lawns....... your going to be disapointed....

im glad to hear you will be the one in your town doing the edging.... your lawns will stand out from the rest, im the only one around here that does it, and you can see the difference a mile away........:)

Freddy_Kruger
03-29-2006, 09:48 AM
ah stupid me, I thought I would buy the split boom then the edger attachment but I ALSO have to buy the trimmer attachment, lol. B@$ards.

Insometry
03-29-2006, 11:05 AM
I edge a couple times a year (if needed) and maintain the edge with with my string trimmer everytime I mow. --> ---|iiiiii | = string between cement (---) and grass (iiiiii).

elshauno
03-29-2006, 11:26 AM
Tanaka makes good stuff and sells up there in Canada. But remember depending on how much use you throw at it commercial grade equipment will last years and years with little or no problems. http://www.tanaka-usa.com/index.php?section=14

Freddy_Kruger
03-29-2006, 07:41 PM
--> ---|iiiiii | = string between cement (---) and grass (iiiiii).
ahhhh:confused: