PDA

View Full Version : Can I legally do this?

zmt5176
03-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Hey, I'm new to this site and I have a question I was hoping I could get some answers about. I've never owned a lawncare business. I am in college studying to be a teacher and big goal of mine is to start my own lawncare business within the next 2 years to supplement my job here in Pennsylvania. However, at this point in time I'm just trying to make some extra money. So, here is the question. I have a hookup who works for the township and I can get mulch for free andytime i want. I have a truck and everything, so getting and hauling the mulch wouldn't be a problem. I came up with the idea to go around and do a little advertising with doorhangers or fliers and try to get a few mulching jobs. I figure it's early spring and a lot of people would be willing to pay me to spread their mulch so they don't have to do it. Like I said, I don't have a business and this would just be an under the table thing and I was wondering if it's even legal. I have yet to start doing this, because I know if you have a business you need a business license. I'm not really trying to start a full blown business at this point I would just like to do a little work and maybe get my feet wet. If anybody can help me out and give me a little feedback i would appreciate it. I'm just not looking to get myself in any kind of trouble.

Runner
03-28-2006, 04:23 PM
Anytime you make money....you pay taxes. Plain and simple. What are you going to teach? History? Government? Business? Economics? Society? Ethics?
I was more caught up attentionwise with the "mulcH' deal that is coming from the "hookup" at the township. What type of mulch is this?

Splicer
03-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Anytime you work "under the table" it is illegal...

That said...do what you gotta do...

D and H Seasonal Services
03-28-2006, 05:39 PM
Where are you in Pa

soccer911
03-28-2006, 05:41 PM
You can claim your mulch income on your personal taxes at the end of the year. You can pay in at that time or if you would receive a return you could elect to have you business taxes taken out of that total. Just an Idea:)

John Gamba
03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Hey, I'm new to this site and I have a question I was hoping I could get some answers about. I've never owned a lawncare business. I am in college studying to be a teacher and big goal of mine is to start my own lawncare business within the next 2 years to supplement my job here in Pennsylvania. However, at this point in time I'm just trying to make some extra money. So, here is the question. I have a hookup who works for the township and I can get mulch for free andytime i want. I have a truck and everything, so getting and hauling the mulch wouldn't be a problem. I came up with the idea to go around and do a little advertising with doorhangers or fliers and try to get a few mulching jobs. I figure it's early spring and a lot of people would be willing to pay me to spread their mulch so they don't have to do it. Like I said, I don't have a business and this would just be an under the table thing and I was wondering if it's even legal. I have yet to start doing this, because I know if you have a business you need a business license. I'm not really trying to start a full blown business at this point I would just like to do a little work and maybe get my feet wet. If anybody can help me out and give me a little feedback i would appreciate it. I'm just not looking to get myself in any kind of trouble.

Why don't you work a take out window for extra cash:clapping: That way you wont break any laws:hammerhead:

John Gamba
03-28-2006, 05:45 PM
return you could elect to have you business taxes taken out of that total. Just an Idea:)

This will never happen:hammerhead:

StBalor
03-28-2006, 05:52 PM
You can get mulch here for free also, but don't know if you would want to put it in a clients yard. The landfill here gives it away for free. It's not the best though.

qualitylawnmanagement
03-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Around here you will be turned in for it, cause your not paying taxes on what you claim as profit.

BLS 2002
03-28-2006, 08:31 PM
Start keeping track of all your expendatures (ins-outs) just like you would any other business. You don't need a business license to spread mulch or mow grass. Just need to claim it on your taxes. It's called a schedule C form you fill out at the end of the year. At least that's how it is in MD. So yes it is legal if you claim it.

JJLandscapes
03-28-2006, 10:12 PM

stop letting everyone scare you on this site . Its all your choice man you know there is a .001% chance anyone would turn you in for using free multch and there is a .000001% chance the IRS will say anything because you are making an extra couple bucks off some free multch

qualitylawnmanagement
03-28-2006, 10:25 PM
If you charge somebody for labor you have to claim it. Make sure you keep all your receipts and invoices so when you go and write off your mulch and gas and other stuff equipment, make sure you keep them for at least three years, cause if you can't show proof again to the IRS if they go and ask you again. If you can show proof then that's a no no:nono: if they stat to get involved.

topsites
03-28-2006, 10:44 PM
There are a couple of things you can do for starters:
please note: the amounts cited below are dated 3-4 years - if anything has changed (which is possible), the figures today might be slightly higher.

1) An income from a source (any source) that does not exceed 600 dollars / year does not have to be claimed as such and can be gained under the table. Keep in mind, only one source per person per year is allowed... You might be able to draw 600 for yourself and another 600 via your wife's account, so to speak <- That would be pushing things but it gives you 1,200 / year not to worry about, might be good for starters (this last might not work if you file jointly, I do not know). Even if you expect to grossly exceed this income remember it's just for starters: it buys you some time and it may in the end suit you.

2) If you do something as a hobby, up to one thousand dollars / year can be claimed under personal taxes by using form 1040A and I believe it's under 'other income.' Again, it's not a lot of money but you might be surprised how much work you can do for a thousand dollars before you have to worry about it. For many years, I claimed something I did mostly for fun under 'hobby' as neither my expenses nor my income for the project exceeded 1k / year, has nothing to do with what I do for a living, but it did eventually grow into a little bit more so now it's filed under the business' taxes, which:

3) A business license is only 35 or 40 dollars. Consider getting one of these after you've earned your first 600 dollars, then re-consider the idea again (and this time strongly) once you reach the 1000 dollar / year mark. You can, in most cases, file your business taxes for a part-time thing right along with your personal stuff, it all goes under your social security number anyhow: a business isn't some magical thing made out of thin air, in my case my business and my own money is all one account, at least as far as the IRS is concerned.