PDA

View Full Version : Break Away Brakes

FordManKubotaDreamer
03-28-2006, 08:28 PM
I was just curious how many of you have functional break away brakes, and is it mandatory in Ohio. :confused: And yes we do have them on our trailer, just for the record. :weightlifter:

FearThisDeere
03-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Not sure if they are mandatory in your area or not, but I think that it is a very good idea to have them. Most newer trailers with brakes around here have them. I have a setup on my CAM dump trailer. Never hurts to have too much piece of mind!

MysticLandscape
03-28-2006, 09:35 PM
I have them on my trailer...

qualitylawnmanagement
03-28-2006, 10:20 PM
If your hauling a trailer of mowers around why wouldn't you want to have brakes? Now my dads buddy has brakes and a brake away kit on it but his wiring is fried to the brake away kit but he still has brakes other wise he would get rid of the trailer and buy a new one.

G.M.Landscaping
03-28-2006, 10:40 PM
For those that have them, check the battery in the box. If it's a couple years old it's probably dead. So even if you had a problem(trailer gets away from truck) they won't work if your trailer has electric brakes if the battery is dead.

Buckeye Lawncare
03-28-2006, 10:59 PM
I just bought a 16' Prostar Trailer yesterday with brakes on both axles. The dealer told me that in the state of Ohio if you don't have the breakaway box hooked up, it is a $75 fine if you get pulled over. My battery box for the trailer brakes has a tester button on it that tests the battery to see if it still good.

tez34
03-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Wouldn't leave home without them !!

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Have a break away and it works...just a word of advice...never pull the pin and test with the trailer plugged into the tow vehicle, you can burn up the brake control..I speak from experience!:hammerhead:...I have the push button test light, but was told they sometimes show a charge but the battery may not lock the brakes...so I unplug the trailer...pull the pin.. and make sure the brakes are locked

FearThisDeere
03-29-2006, 04:46 PM
I was just curious how many of you have functional break away brakes, and is it mandatory in Ohio. :confused: And yes we do have them on our trailer, just for the record. :weightlifter:
Wait, you are from Wapakoneta, Ohio? Wow, my Mom used to live there, small world!

FordManKubotaDreamer
03-29-2006, 05:28 PM
:waving: Yes, I am from Wapakoneta, Ohio. I live in the center of the city. LOL :usflag:

jim dailey
03-29-2006, 10:15 PM
:waving: Yes, I am from Wapakoneta, Ohio. I live in the center of the city. LOL :usflag:

You mean, there's actually people living there??? ONLY KIDDING...

FearThisDeere
03-30-2006, 09:45 AM
That is just crazy! I have stayed at the Best Western? there for about the last 5 summers in a row. My uncle sells airplanes out of the airport down towards New Knoxville where he and my grandmother live. Samll world man.