PDA

View Full Version : lawn striping

ejenkins
05-02-2001, 10:36 PM
I like the stripped lawns. I am a home owner with a Kubota 40" cut rider. Is there anything I can do to get this with my lawn tractor? Or do you have to have commercial mower with more options?

Eric ELM
05-02-2001, 10:57 PM
You can do it with a lawn tractor. I used to use my 430 JD tractor and make stripes. Here is an old picture of me striping with it.
http://elmlawnsite.com/images/jdme1.jpg

joshua
05-03-2001, 11:55 PM
man eric nice strips, mine aren't as dark as yours but they look good.:)

about getting strips with a lawn tractor take a few laps around your property then go back and forth, this will make you have to use the reverse alot but it will be well worth it, i did it before i got in the business on my own yard a few times looked good but didn't compare to my lazer strips. don't go and buy a comercail mower just use yours as if it was one by backing up and going back right next to what you just cut.

Catcher
05-04-2001, 07:52 AM
The striping effect is due to the grass being 'laid down' in different directions.
If you make a pass in one direction the grass will lay down the same direction, when you return the grass will lay the opposite way. The striping effect is a result of sun-light being reflected differently from the two directions.
To get a more pronounced look you can make an attachment for behind the tractor or the deck, which brushes over the grass and 'bends' it in the driving direction.
Another benefit of this is that it will knock any clippings off the top.

Eric ELM
05-04-2001, 08:45 PM
Thanks Joshua, I call that picture, "Deere Tracks" :)