PDA

View Full Version : Does machine 'operating weight' include bucket?

mrusk
03-28-2006, 07:37 PM
I'm ready to pull the trigger on a cat skid steer in the next 2 weeks. I just want to make sure that i can tow what i buy. When they list the 246b operating weight at 7142lbs is that with or without a bucket? Full tank of fuel and fluids?

Matt

UNISCAPER
03-28-2006, 08:16 PM
Matt:

First of all, a bucket for a 246 is only going to weight 4-500 lbs. Fluids, you got a 22 gallon fuel tank, fuel 7 lbs a gallon, so add 150 lbs or so. Crankcase oils and anti freeze, what can that weigh, another 20 lbs???

What's your trailer capacity?

I thought most listed weight on machinery is fluidless. I'm not sure though.

Tigerotor77W
03-28-2006, 08:43 PM
According to ISO7131, operating mass is defined as "Mass of the base machine with all standard equipment, operator (75 kg +/- 3kg), full fuel tank, full lubricating, hydraulic and cooling systems, and, where provided, with empty bucket, body, or bowl."

SAEJ1234 says, "Operating performance measurements shall be made with the base machine and its equipment, without payload, with full fuel, lubricating, cooling and hydrualic systems, and with a 75 kg (175 lb) operator."

The specifications *should* state the machine's operating weight condition (eg with what fluids, operator, attachment, etc).

gammon landscaping
03-28-2006, 08:52 PM
that is a wet weight. it means with all the fluids fill to compacity. but does not include the bucket. because technicly that is just a work tool not standard equipment. and just a fyi your trailer is derated for safty reasons if it says 7000lb capacity i wouldn't worry about putting 8-10,000lbs on it. most things like this are rated at 2/3 for the fact of people over loading them. now if you load somthing and you see the tounge bending i would say don't do it. but if the springs still have travel and it seems well i would go with it

ma5tr
03-28-2006, 09:02 PM
if you look in a cat brochure.....it states that the weights include a bucket, full fuel tank and a operator.

Electra_Glide
03-29-2006, 08:40 AM
and just a fyi your trailer is derated for safty reasons if it says 7000lb capacity i wouldn't worry about putting 8-10,000lbs on it.

Until you get stopped by the DOT, or get in an accident, and they determine you're exceeding the GVWR of your trailer...:cry:. Remember, in the real world, stuff happens...

If you're putting that machine on a 10000lb. trailer, you should be fine. I wouldn't put it on any less of a trailer.

What other have said about the weight being the machine, plus fluids, plus bucket, plus operator is they way I understand it as well.

Joe

ksss
03-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Yea it hard to support purposely over loading a trailer. I am no saint and have done it on occasions but I always try to buy more trailer than I need at the time to compensate for future needs. The other issue is 12K trailers and above are built to take a little more abuse. With 16" tires or better and more heavier duty brakes/frames etc. Trailers less than 12K from my experience tend to be too light for construction and typically are more car haulers than equipment movers to start with. So I guess I would be less inclined to overload such a light trailer to begin with.

UNISCAPER
03-29-2006, 12:25 PM
I have a novel thought which would solve your impending problem. It does not happen often, but a few times a year our Cat rep gets a sale where the pesrson is budgeted out and has no money for a heavier trailer to fit the machine they bought. It is entirely possible to finance a trailer through your Cat finance package, the salesman just has to get creative as to how it is written up. That is what I might be thinking about doing in a situation like this.

qps
03-29-2006, 01:49 PM
Until you get stopped by the DOT, or get in an accident, and they determine you're exceeding the GVWR of your trailer...:cry:. Remember, in the real world, stuff happens...

If you're putting that machine on a 10000lb. trailer, you should be fine. I wouldn't put it on any less of a trailer.

What other have said about the weight being the machine, plus fluids, plus bucket, plus operator is they way I understand it as well.

Joe

I would never put 10K on a 7K trailer...that's asking for trouble..:dizzy:

Gravel Rat
03-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Always have the proper sized trailer for the load you want you actually want a decent sized buffer zone. Say your machine weighs 8000lbs get a trailer that will carry 12,000lbs or 10,000lbs.

You flatlanders don't know what trying to decend 10% grades with poor brakes its not nice whatsoever. You can pretty much taste the seat of your truck in the back of your throat from the pucker factor :D

When your stepping on the brakes and its not doing anything then you know your overloaded.

Electra_Glide
03-29-2006, 04:41 PM
I would never put 10K on a 7K trailer...that's asking for trouble..:dizzy:
But you would put a 7k machine on a 10k trailer, right?

Joe

qps
03-29-2006, 06:22 PM
But you would put a 7k machine on a 10k trailer, right?

Joe

depends on how much the trailer weights....its no fun trying to stop when you got all that weight pushing you...if trailer weighted 2k...sure I'd put 7K on it....I updated from a 10K trailer to 14K to move my skidsteer on...money well spent...

mrusk
03-29-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm not worried about the trailer, i'm worried about the truck!!

I'm going to buy a 14k gvw trailer for the machine. My dodge 2500 cummins has a 20k gvcw and i just want to make sure i stay legal. Truck weighs 7100lbs with a full tank of gas and me, and the trailers i am looking at are around 3200-3300lbs. Cat says the 246 weighs 7200ish. So i am cutting it close, but legal is legal. To save weight i don't even have a tool box on my truck! I keep everything in my enclosed trailer.

matt

gammon landscaping
03-29-2006, 08:55 PM
man when i started with my skid o moved it with a home made trailer dad made it was a 20ft tilt top with a axel made out of a 3/4 ton dodge rearend. he just cut the hogs head out of the middle and ordered a pipe to slid over the axle tubs and machined down and wealded it up to the trailer. no springs at all. it was a single axle trailer. now it did have a surge breaks that worked well. it did me fine for almost a year before i got my 24ft gooseneck. it is rated at 14k. and it will handle alot more than that. i have hauled my 236 wich is just shy of 7k, and a massy 245 tractor with a pulvariser which is around 6k( fluid in all the wheels). so that is 13k and the trailer weighs in at 4300lb. so that was 17,300. and it did just fine. now my 3/4 ton truck was sitting alittle low in the back but it was fine.
i am not saying to put your new skid on a 6x12 landscaping trailer. but if it is close you should be fine