PDA

View Full Version : Intermediate Paver Questions

matthew horner
03-28-2006, 09:23 PM
I've done a few small paver jobs. Patio, walkway. No Biggie.
This one is. I need a little bit of advise.
Basically its coming off of the house and out to the edge of a hill.
Looking at around 3000 ft 2.
Access is fine. Will need to do a fair amount of leveling and the outside edge will be a bit of a curveball but basically my questions are......
What is the best type of stone to use---The client is most likely going to choose a tumbledstone. Who are the suppliers, and is there a ballpark materials cost estimator I can use.
Also, I've seen 10 to 15 dollars per square foot labor on this site for these jobs. That would bring this in the 30,000 range. This is on a 150,000 house. Sounds pretty expensive.
Could some of you point me in the right direction. I don't want to end up eating this job.
Thank You Very Much
Matthew Horner

WildLake
03-28-2006, 09:36 PM
If you need any kind of retaining wall at the end, $30,000 wouldn't even be in the ball park. I would be well over that for just the patio on flat ground. Without more detail thats the best I can do. Materials are in the $7 sqft. range, plus labor. Unless you are extremely streamlined, $10 a square could end up costing you money.

matthew horner
03-28-2006, 09:50 PM
WOW> This work is expensive. At $7/sf materials, is that including any markup? What kind of paver do you use?
Thank you

WildLake
03-28-2006, 09:59 PM
That $7 includes geotex, aggregate, sand, pavers, edge restraint, spikes , polysand, ect. I use several brands, EP Henry, Belgard, Hanover, Techo, or whatever else a customer saw in some magazine and is dead set on. Most of them are within a dollar of one another. Tumble is usually a buck more a square.

matthew horner
03-28-2006, 10:49 PM
Thank you very much. I'll bid accordingly. Any other tips?

mbella
03-28-2006, 11:06 PM
Thank you very much. I'll bid accordingly. Any other tips?

Pics of the site would be helpful in order to help you figure out that "curveball."

However, I'm going to say the following: The questions you are asking and the statements you've made are not what somebody that is qualified to do this kind of job should be asking and saying.

You say you'll bid accordingly. You'll bid according to what? You're going to bid according to what Wildlake bids?

I'll give you what I believe is the best advise anybody could give you and tell you to walk away. This job doesn't sound like a little "feet getter wetter."

By walk away, I don't necessarily mean drop it altogether. Possibly, you could hook up with an experienced contractor and turn it over. If the contractor is awarded the project, you could tag along and help out. It might only take one job for you to pull it together.

matthew horner
03-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Thanks Mike,
I've thought of that, and might do that. If I can get it with enough cushion to cover my learning curve (taking my time, doing things extra well) I'll go ahead and do it. Thats what I mean by bidding accordingly.

mbella
03-29-2006, 06:32 AM
Thanks Mike,
I've thought of that, and might do that. If I can get it with enough cushion to cover my learning curve (taking my time, doing things extra well) I'll go ahead and do it. Thats what I mean by bidding accordingly.

If you get a chance, post some pics of the site.

neversatisfiedj
03-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Wildlake what part of MD are you in ?

--Josh

matthew horner
03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I tried to post pics last night but they were too big and I haven't the time yet to resize them.

matthew horner
03-30-2006, 12:00 AM
The client said the price was way more than they anticipated. I quoted around 35 thousand. My gut said I didn't want this one anyways!