PDA

View Full Version : 15 SQ spray head

scottt
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
I have a 16 x 220 strip and would love to find a way not to have to use all sprays or small rotors. I have never used rb's 15 SQ, their site says 23 x 23 but I don't see it happening with good coverage. The site gets little wind. I don't think the square spray will do it, but I've got to ask. Any opinions?

Wet_Boots
03-29-2006, 11:13 AM
They'd probably work, but even with the best of square sprays down the center of a strip, you have around a foot of overspray beyond the sides. In the ancient days of machined brass spray head nozzles, it would have been a 'Square-Undersized' nozzle going in a strip that wide.

Funny thing - Rainbird had better square nozzles for the 1800 before the ones they offer today. The SQ covered a larger area than the 15SQ, and the SQU was an effective smaller version.

Even at their best, square nozzles were a pain. You had to locate the sprayhead just right, and orient the nozzle so the square pattern is positioned correctly. If I had to water a 16-foot-wide strip with today's nozzles, run down the center of the strip, I might try 10-foot-radius full circle nozzles spaced head-to-head.

PurpHaze
03-29-2006, 09:45 PM
You had to locate the sprayhead just right, and orient the nozzle so the square pattern is positioned correctly.

If not done correctly then you end up with a "diamond" instead of a square? :dancing:

Wet_Boots
03-29-2006, 09:56 PM
For something long fallen into obscurity, the old nozzles still work, and the technique was useful when there were beds along the edges of a strip, or a split-rail fence a foot from the border. Also, back then, there weren't the same small-and-efficient nozzles that you can use today. Heads down the middle would probably save a zone, and one extra zone might have meant a significant increase in the cost of the (mechanical, of course) controller used in the system.

Also, heads down the middle of a strip of lawn near the driveway don't get plowed up after snowstorms.

PurpHaze
03-29-2006, 09:59 PM
Not to mention the galvanized pipe used in these "oldies but goodies" systems. Thank gawd that Marlex screws in quite nicely into galvanized 90s. :laugh:

Ohh... reminds me that if this type of system were put in then the obligatory diamond-shape grass cutouts around each head would add to the detailing.

Wet_Boots
03-29-2006, 10:07 PM
I gunno, brass popup spray bodies and nozzles were used well into the poly pipe days, often with brass saddle tees and poly cutoff risers. No swing joints or funny pipe, though. With only a meager 2 inch popup, they still managed to cover.

PurpHaze
03-29-2006, 10:13 PM
In my area every brass pop-up I've ever come across is securely fastened via a galvanized nipple to galvanized pipe. :cry:

Wet_Boots
03-29-2006, 10:27 PM
You were deprived, what can I say? I do remember such systems with fixed (no popup) sprayheads watering dichondra lawns. One thing that the brass sprayheads-on-cutoff-risers ran afoul of, was the 'new breed' of landscaper lawnmowers, with strongly powered wheels, that were capable tearing a head right off the riser.

PurpHaze
03-29-2006, 10:31 PM
You were deprived, what can I say? I do remember such systems with fixed (no popup) sprayheads watering dichondra lawns. One thing that the brass sprayheads-on-cutoff-risers ran afoul of, was the 'new breed' of landscaper lawnmowers, with strongly powered wheels, that were capable tearing a head right off the riser.

LOL... still happens. The dichondra might be gone but the brass heads are still there and still susceptible to mowers. :laugh:

Wet_Boots
03-29-2006, 10:40 PM
The lawnmower-damage phenomenon was a head-scratcher at first. Perfectly reliable systems were losing sprayheads for no good reason. The shorter the cutoff riser, the likelier the damage. Took a while to realize the new mowers were doing the damage. Cutoff risers quickly went from a installation convenience to a reliability problem.

A&H Turf
04-03-2006, 06:22 PM
scottt the mp 2000 would be a perfect fit and drastically lower your number of zones. go to mprotator.com to find the distributor in your area.

Beartooth
04-04-2006, 12:32 AM
Would you install the Mp on a Rain Bird 1804, Hunter Pro-Spray, or an MP riser? Just curious!!!

PurpHaze
04-04-2006, 08:29 AM
Would you install the Mp on a Rain Bird 1804, Hunter Pro-Spray, or an MP riser? Just curious!!!

It'll work on whatever pop-up spray body you're comfortable with.

scottt
04-04-2006, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was planning on using the mpr2000 if I go in from both sides, but I was just looking for a way to run heads down the middle and not have to run as much pipe or install as many heads as if I was spraying from both sides in.

A&H Turf
04-05-2006, 06:13 PM
and you should be comfortable with an 1804.

aquamtic
04-08-2006, 07:25 AM
You can go with 13 Hunter Prosprays or RB1800 on each side and 15' Half and Quarter Fixed Pattern Nozzles that Hunter makes. If you have a 35-40 working psi, these will push to the 16' But they are are also pushing over 2gpm each.

Wet_Boots
04-17-2006, 08:00 AM
Should have had my camera with me, so I could have taken a photo of a square-sprays-down-the-middle zone in operation. Old system, with brass popup sprays and mini/maxi paw heads. Covered about 18x80 with 6 heads.