PDA

View Full Version : Guy goes off on me about flyer

DynaMow
03-28-2006, 10:48 PM
today this guy is waiting for me to deliver flyer (getting mail and sees me coming) and goes off on me about idiots like me trash his neighborhood with this sh*t. Gives me crap for five minutes. Then I got out of my car I think he pooped his pants. I got out, sees I am bigger then him and not very happy. Ripped my flyer out of his hands, show him that I am just trying to support my family. He sees I am bigger then him, not very happy with him, and sees that I am willing to put him down.
I love seeing a grown man, try to bully somebody, then put their tail between their legs and run back inside. Flips me off when he gets 2 steps from garage.
This is the best, at one point he says if he finds my flyer on ground in morning he was going to call me. Then asks if this is a good number on flyer? I laugh and reply, "No you dumbass I pass out flyers to get business but do not put my real number on it". Call me in the morning.
I was cracking up right in this guys face, in his own driveway of his $350,000 house and he still didn't figure out that he was the idiot.

grass disaster
03-28-2006, 11:24 PM
i'm not a big fan of people coming to my house and selling me services(bothering me). if i wanted them i'm sure i could just look in the paper and find someone.

olderthandirt
03-28-2006, 11:34 PM
I was cracking up right in this guys face, in his own driveway of his $350,000 house and he still didn't figure out that he was the idiot.

Guess who had the last laugh :hammerhead: the lawn boy or the guy that went back inside his 350K house? And if the guy wants he can get your AZZ in all kinds of trouble. Yes it was INSIDE my mail box. Yes he did litter my property. OH and he DID threaten me on my own property. :dizzy: :dizzy:

DynaMow
03-28-2006, 11:35 PM
i'm not a big fan of people coming to my house and selling me services(bothering me). if i wanted them i'm sure i could just look in the paper and find someone.
I was at his paperbox, at the road, in my car. I do not go and bother people at their house. I do distribute flyers to paper boxes, and will continue, because it is my best way of attracting new business.

grass disaster
03-28-2006, 11:42 PM
that may be so.

i didn't think you could put stuff in there but it may be something that is reserved just for junk.

i could see his reasoning for being upset is if it was littering the ground and flying all over the place.

Lawnaholic
03-28-2006, 11:55 PM
I was at his paperbox, at the road, in my car. I do not go and bother people at their house. I do distribute flyers to paper boxes, and will continue, because it is my best way of attracting new business.
Craig, I don't see where any harm was done. To me it just seems like you were trying to get new business/customers. Around here we have flyer distribution companies that pass out thousands upon thousands at a time, and that's door to door. Some people are just jack asses and it seems like you ran into one this go around.

mtdman
03-29-2006, 12:44 AM
Honestly, you're better off just leaving and not confronting the guy. Number 1, the guy is never going to be convinced he's wrong. And I'm not sure I disagree with him, I hate getting those dumb fliers on my door as well. Number 2, arguing with him is only going to prove him right in his eyes. Instead of telling him he's a dumbass, just apologize and move on. If anything, it might impress him more that you wanted to respect his wishes and maybe change his mind in the future. But arguing with him and getting into a yelling match won't, not to mention any neighbors that might see the confrontation as well.

Back when I used to flier, every once in a while I'd get a complaint phone call. People who take the time to call you aren't exactly reasonable people to begin with. Just write them off and keep going. It's better for your state of mind in the long run anyway.

DynaMow
03-29-2006, 12:48 AM
that may be so.

i didn't think you could put stuff in there but it may be something that is reserved just for junk.

i could see his reasoning for being upset is if it was littering the ground and flying all over the place.

In my area this is a natural practice to use paperboxes, it works well

they are not on the ground, or flying. they are cardstock and I put the in longways so they curl side to side. Doesn't make much sense for me to litter a neighborhood I am trying to gain respect in and earn business. Or waste my time to design, print, distribute flyers to the ground. I see others on the ground and years ago I had a problem with flying out, but changed style.

I am not doing anything wrong, illegal, or dishonest. If its illegal, I would love to see that regulation in print.

Roger
03-29-2006, 06:25 AM
I agree with mtdman ... Guess who will be the talk of the next block party on his street? How many of his neighbors and friends will he tell this story? You may feel good about being the bully, being bigger than he, but what was the gain in being hostile toward him? Can you expect to get ANY customers from this man's neighbors?

There are so many threads on LS that speak about "being professional," "we are professionals," "... we don't get the respect we deserve," "... we work hard and should get paid ...." and the like. The behavior at the end of this man's driveway give the residents in his neighborhood every reason to form negative opinions about LCOs, responses we hear often on LS.

John Gamba
03-29-2006, 06:36 AM
Guess who had the last laugh :hammerhead: the lawn boy or the guy that went back inside his 350K house? And if the guy wants he can get your AZZ in all kinds of trouble. Yes it was INSIDE my mail box. Yes he did litter my property. OH and he DID threaten me on my own property. :dizzy: :dizzy:

So True :hammerhead:

BladeRunner1967
03-29-2006, 07:48 AM
So True :hammerhead:

I agree. Turn a negative into a positive. Never know when Paulie is gonna hit you in the back of the head with a shovel. :hammerhead: :gunsfirin

mcwlandscaping
03-29-2006, 07:53 AM
Ok, i had to laugh, threads like this make Social Studies class go by so much faster!!haha, but, that guy was a jerk, some will never learn, just move on, its easier then to keep thinking about it. Hopefully i dont run into any experiencs like that handing out flyers today!

Coreyb
03-29-2006, 08:38 AM
i'm all for flyers. but you handled it all wrong. simply apologize and leave. a happy customer tells a friend. an unhappy customer (or person) tells ten.

DynaMow
03-29-2006, 09:16 AM
Honestly, you're better off just leaving and not confronting the guy. Number 1, the guy is never going to be convinced he's wrong. And I'm not sure I disagree with him, I hate getting those dumb fliers on my door as well. Number 2, arguing with him is only going to prove him right in his eyes. Instead of telling him he's a dumbass, just apologize and move on. If anything, it might impress him more that you wanted to respect his wishes and maybe change his mind in the future. But arguing with him and getting into a yelling match won't, not to mention any neighbors that might see the confrontation as well.

Back when I used to flier, every once in a while I'd get a complaint phone call. People who take the time to call you aren't exactly reasonable people to begin with. Just write them off and keep going. It's better for your state of mind in the long run anyway.

I agree with you, i did apologize he just kept cursing, and calling me names. I did not want him to have my flyer. I should of gone on my way but he pushed way to far.

And if you think I am worried about this part of a neighborhood, no way, to many other opportunities. I knew I could not change his mind but wasn't going to let him abuse me neither.

Splicer
03-29-2006, 09:23 AM
I agree with you, i did apologize he just kept cursing, and calling me names. I did not want him to have my flyer. I should of gone on my way but he pushed way to far.

And if you think I am worried about this part of a neighborhood, no way, to many other opportunities. I knew I could not change his mind but wasn't going to let him abuse me neither.
You've done nothing wrong. You done good man!

BTW, who is that chick in your avatar? Saweet!:cool2:

mtdman
03-29-2006, 02:02 PM

Just walk away. There's nothing to be gained from what you did, and much to be lost.

Attitudes like this is why customer service sucks in this country today.

Blade-o-grass
03-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Well I've got my flyers in hand....going to see if I can make someone mad too :walking: :headphones: :cry: :angry: :mad: :laughing: :o :p :gunsfirin payup

DynaMow
03-29-2006, 02:30 PM
BTW, who is that chick in your avatar? Saweet!:cool2:

that is my lovely wife.

Splicer
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
that is my lovely wife.
Thats what I'm talking about brutha!:drinkup: She is lovely indeed. Take care...

oslo
03-29-2006, 05:32 PM
There is nothing wrong with the flyer in the paper box, but if you are indeed trying to support a family, and run a legitimate business, act professionally when confronted, apologize and continue on. What is to be gained by getting out of the car?

All outcomes bad..
1. He beats you down.
2. You beat him down and
a) get arrested
b) get fined
c) make your company look bad (potential customers could be watching)
3. He is bored and mad enough to follow behind you removing your flyers.
4. Badmouths your work to everyone he knows.
5. Remembers you and damages your equipment sometime in the future.
6. Files a complaint against you with the BBB or CoC
7. You get shot.
8. You hurt your leg and can't work (while beating him down).
9. You hurt your leg and can't work (while getting beat down).

hmmm. can anyone add a tenth

But, hey, thanks for perpetuating the stereotype that we are a bunch of uneducated socially inept monkeys in this business.

DynaMow
03-29-2006, 10:29 PM
There is nothing wrong with the flyer in the paper box, but if you are indeed trying to support a family, and run a legitimate business, act professionally when confronted, apologize and continue on. What is to be gained by getting out of the car?

All outcomes bad..
1. He beats you down.
2. You beat him down and
a) get arrested
b) get fined
c) make your company look bad (potential customers could be watching)
3. He is bored and mad enough to follow behind you removing your flyers.
4. Badmouths your work to everyone he knows.
5. Remembers you and damages your equipment sometime in the future.
6. Files a complaint against you with the BBB or CoC
7. You get shot.
8. You hurt your leg and can't work (while beating him down).
9. You hurt your leg and can't work (while getting beat down).

hmmm. can anyone add a tenth

But, hey, thanks for perpetuating the stereotype that we are a bunch of uneducated socially inept monkeys in this business.

first when a man is leaning inside my car angry at me, I am in a vulnerble position, I will get out every time.

here is your #10. Look like an idiot.

last, your welcome, I am glad I could help you out.

get rich
03-29-2006, 10:33 PM
Here's a better way to hand out your flyer, get up real early and follow the paper guy around and insert your flyer in the paper itself. And find all the paperbox's around town pay 50 cents,open it and insert flyer in each paper. I know...off topic hijacker i am, but this just came too me when reading paperbox. I've never had the pleasure of getting screamed at by potential customer while hanging 2 million flyers in the past couple seasons. But if that happened to me i would just smile at em and say sorry for the inconvienance sir. Although i am only 5'7 and 140 pounds soaking wet, so it would have to be a senior citizen neighborhood in order for me to beat anyone down...lol. Still your reputation is always on the line, just go home and spank the wife or kick the dog. Hope you get some leads off your stressful day of hangin flyers though.

DynaMow
03-30-2006, 12:50 AM
Here's a better way to hand out your flyer, get up real early and follow the paper guy around and insert your flyer in the paper itself. And find all the paperbox's around town pay 50 cents,open it and insert flyer in each paper. I know...off topic hijacker i am, but this just came too me when reading paperbox. I've never had the pleasure of getting screamed at by potential customer while hanging 2 million flyers in the past couple seasons. But if that happened to me i would just smile at em and say sorry for the inconvienance sir. Although i am only 5'7 and 140 pounds soaking wet, so it would have to be a senior citizen neighborhood in order for me to beat anyone down...lol. Still your reputation is always on the line, just go home and spank the wife or kick the dog. Hope you get some leads off your stressful day of hangin flyers though.

thanks nice post, and yes I got one mowing account today from those. 1 block away from my new friends house.

I do not disagree with any of the posts here, I always try to do better and I am, but sometimes it gets away from me.

oilfield
03-30-2006, 01:45 PM
It would be easy for anyone to say they would be non confontational in that situation. But there is no telling what one will do in that situation. If I had a bad day i probably would of acted the same way. But if i had a good day probably not. I usually give it a shot to try and be nice but I usually can only be pushed so far. So i would probably reacted in the same way then really felt bad about it later due to it not being good buisness practice.

daveintoledo
03-30-2006, 01:50 PM

you have to pay the newpaper to insert your flyers, or your in BIG trouble..... this is a service all papers provide and customers pay for, you do this you will be arrested for theft of services...

i pay 160 for every 5000 flyers inserted into a local paper.....

DynaMow
03-30-2006, 03:03 PM
you have to pay the newpaper to insert your flyers, or your in BIG trouble..... this is a service all papers provide and customers pay for, you do this you will be arrested for theft of services...

i pay 160 for every 5000 flyers inserted into a local paper.....

Dave, Dave, Dave, I am not stuffing them into papers.

What I am doing is completely legal in my city. I know because I have checked with my local officials about this practice, and I am not breaking any laws.