View Full Version : Swampy area

03-29-2006, 12:02 AM
Im looking at a job where the backyard backs up to a swampy area and one corner of the yard is slightly lower than the other; the low side stays wet most of the year. The customer wants me to take care of this, and his concern is that if I simply bring up the grade that overtime water will still soak in and take over the yard again. I told him it would be fine, especially with a 6 or 8 in dropoff to the 'swamp'. Did I tell him the right thing or what else should be done?

03-29-2006, 12:24 PM
What you told him could get you or the homeowner in big trouble with environmental regulators. The area you are describing is a wetland. It is against federal regulations to drain or fill a wetland (unless you made a large campaign donation to somebody high up in government). Over time water is not going to soak in and make the rest of the yard swampy unless the water table was elevated. Plant the area with native wetland plants. Sell it as minimal maintenance which reduces the homeowners mowing time or what they are paying someone to mow it.

03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
I would plant some great water loving plants like Betula nigra, hibiscus, ferns etc.... could be a great planting and the trees will help soak up some of that water.

03-29-2006, 04:44 PM
Its not a natural wetland. He tells me years ago there were trenches dug for the water to flow through and over time with leaves and other natural debris building up in there it stop flowing and started seeping into his yard. There are houses on both sides of the 'wetland' and is probably only 50 or 100 yds wide. I am only filling in and raising an area that has turfgrass planted already, no wild plants.

03-29-2006, 05:05 PM
i would still be careful about the wetland regulations in connecticut. wetlands in connecticut are determined by the soil type, not by plants, or even water technically. where in ct is this? you need to be careful because you could get in trouble with wetland disturbance. you may have to submit a plan to the town and have it approved before you do anything. you can maybe do some plantings like suggested above and try to just leave the area alone.

03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
you may be able to get away with doing some drainage systems that would lower the water table in the area around his house.

if you need any help with this, im in CT and i have some experience doing drainage systems. have one coming up to install in bristol, ct. in the next couple weeks.