PDA

View Full Version : Dig Rite!

grassyfras
03-29-2006, 01:44 AM
Ok I called Dig Rite the first time today. I was impressed, however, somethings cofuss me. They told me I can't dig for 2 days but it may be marked the next day. I know there trying to cover their ass but if I dont wait and something happens and its there fault are they clear? The guy told me its just something we have to tell you and said its "one of those things". He also said I can't did within 2 feet of a marked line, but if I do they suggest I hand dig the area. Ok fair enough but I ask the guy so I can dig in that area and hes like "no" but if you do hand dig. LOL ok so there covering their as but what do you do when you need to dig and theres a line. Also why even call if your hand digging in the first place? I guess I would be more careful but I'm just lost.

JKOOPERS
03-29-2006, 02:03 AM
what are you digging for ? most lines are buried at a pretty good depth except for Charters f$cking cable

grassyfras
03-29-2006, 02:04 AM
Drainage. Ya I cut my own cable wire twice maybe three times. I also ran over Charters wires that were never burried for a month. Velke got it.

JKOOPERS
03-29-2006, 02:06 AM
most of the other lines are buried at least 18" so you should be fine .

grassyfras
03-29-2006, 02:22 AM
Alright cool.

gammon landscaping
03-29-2006, 02:25 AM
around here as long as you call first you can pretty much just tear them out and go on if you want . of course i don't and we do our best to work around them but we do get a few from time to time

grassyfras
03-29-2006, 02:34 AM
Tear what out? The pipes? or just cable wires? Are you cutting these wires?

JKOOPERS
03-29-2006, 02:40 AM
what kind of drainage system are you doing and why?

grassyfras
03-29-2006, 02:45 AM
Just a little french drain. Their on a nice slope from front to back so the back is all soggy in this corner. SO the other day they called me to sod so I did and now they want more sod but with all the rain latly I was like wait this isnt right. So, I noticed their down spout and slope are just making a mess right there. So Im going to lay a drain pipe a foot in with some clean gravel and take it out behind there fence. Behind it is a big commercial buidling, not that nice of grounds, so I was going to just have it end there. I may end up doing a dry welll there but probbly just end it there.

dforbes
03-29-2006, 11:34 PM
It is a state law that you call 48 hours in advance of any digging. That means you must wait 48 hours after you call. I know that most utilities are at least 18 inches deep but we have ran into situations where they were not. If you hit a gas line or phone line you will not only be charged to fix it but you can be fined by the state also. I'm not telling you not to dig but just stating the facts.
Dennis

grassyfras
03-30-2006, 12:01 AM
Do you guys dig and not wait if its already marked??

sheshovel
03-30-2006, 12:32 AM
Ya see ya don't dig at all where they mark.If they lay down a mark..that means if you dig there you are gonna probably hit a line..regardless of what kind of line it is you will have to pay for them to fix it.
If they mark a line I flat won't dig there at all.It can be dangerous too,If there is a gas line under there and it has a tiny leak and you make a spark with your shovel on a rock you could blow the whole block to smithereens..don't laugh it has happened before.If they mark a line..don't dig there!

Lawnworks
03-30-2006, 12:43 AM
sheshovel,
You don't dig where lines are marked? Does that mean your irrigation systems don't have true coverage? Does that mean crappy plant spacing?

On our last irrigation project we got everything marked and still ended up cutting through 2 cables and 1 phone line while hand digging the marked areas. I don't really know how to avoid cutting through the cables. The customer can get them fixed for free more than likely, it is just a matter of causing an inconvenience for your customer. From my experiences gas lines are usually deeper and will be not hurt w/ careful hand digging.

sheshovel
03-30-2006, 12:59 AM
You bet..I don't dig over lines period!I work it out.

grassyfras
03-30-2006, 01:02 AM
That seems almost impossible to not dig over a line from time to time.

Dirty Water
03-30-2006, 02:02 AM
It is impossible. 98% of our jobs required at least 3-4 crossings.

We locate every job. It is the clients responsibitility to call the locate company, if they don't they are held responsible for any breaks. If we hit lines that were missed by the locate company, or lines that are not located (septic,propane etc) the client pays.

To keep costs at a minimum I repair telephone, water,septic and cable breaks myself. Just do it properly just like a utility company would (gel crimps enclosed in a waterproof splice housing).

We will hand dig over every locate 2' on either side of the line where our trenches cross.

often on a new development where I know the lines were buried to code (36" for power, and water/phone/cable are buried in the same ditch) I will hand dig out one locate mark, and then once I have verified that the lines are deeper than our grade, will trench the rest with a machine.

Dirty Water
03-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Do you guys dig and not wait if its already marked??

Once the locate marks are in, go ahead, there is no need to wait.

Just FYI:

Red = Power
Orange = Cable and Phone
Blue = Water
Green = Sewer
Yellow = Gas

Duck Dodger
03-30-2006, 02:29 AM
A lot of times the cable company won't mark it they figure it is cheaper to fix it if you hit it . It has to be impossable to not dig over lines. I have never herd of someone blowing up a gas line either and I have seen five lines cut through. I'm sure that could happen but one in a million.

dforbes
03-30-2006, 09:04 AM
Any person who violates in any material respect the provisions of section 319.022, 319.023, 319.025, 319.026, 319.030, 310.037 or 319.045 or who willfully damages an underground facility shall be liable to the state of Missouri for a civil penalty of up to ten thousand dollars for each violation for each day such violation persists, except that the maximum penalty for violation of the provisions of sections 319.010 to 319.050 shall not exceed five hundred thousand dollars for any related series of violations. An action to recover such civil penalty may be brought by the attorney general or a prosecuting attorney on behalf of the state of Missouri in any appropriate circuit court of this state. Trial thereof shall be before the court, which shall consider the nature, circumstances and gravity of the violation, and with respect to the person found to have committed the violation, the degree of culpability, the absence or existence of prior violations, whether the violation was a willful act, the effect on ability to continue to do business, any good faith in attempting to achieve compliance, ability to pay the penalty, and such other matters as justice may require in determining the amount of penalty imposed.
The attorney general may bring an action in any appropriate circuit court of this state for equitable relief to redress or restrain a violation by any person of any provision of sections 319.010 to 319.050. The court may grant such relief as is necessary or appropriate, including mandatory or prohibitive injunctive relief, temporary or permanent.

to read the law in its entirity go to (www.mo1call.org) copy and paste to your browser

grassyfras
03-30-2006, 10:58 AM
Alright Dforbes you win.