PDA

View Full Version : Weight/ insurance coverage

dtelawncare
03-29-2006, 01:48 AM
Does anyone know how insurance claims are handled if God forbid you rear end someone and you are towing more weight than your truck is rated for??

MMLawn
03-29-2006, 10:37 AM
FIRST, and most important is do you have TRUE Commercial auto liability insurance on your truck? If you do not and have only "normal" personal auto liability insurance and you are towing your trailer loaded with your mowing equipment and hit someone, then I promise you the chances are very great that your insurance will not pay out at all regardless of the circumstances. They can, but they legally can refuse and most of them will. Personal auto insurance is not what you need you must have commercial auto insurance and they are entirely different animals.

Now, if you do have Commercial coverage, they have the legal right to refuse to pay out if you are overloaded, but would only probably do so if that was a main contributing factor to the accident. But in the end with the correct comercial coverage I'd bet they'd still pay off.

UNISCAPER
03-29-2006, 04:11 PM
If you get a cop who is on their toes they will tag all the weight classifications, consider if you are over, and may even call a DOT officer if the city they are working for needs operatiing capital.

Some/most cities use their truck enforcement divisions as ways to subsidize costs in the city and police department and have little to do with the safety issues they use to justify their presence.

I have never had this happen, San Diego is so under copped and under funded it is not even funny (we have to argue with the detectives to write up petty theft violations) so they just write the report and send you along.

As far as insurance goes, unless your policy has a specific written exclusion stating your coverage is void if you are overwieght, I would think they have to cover you. Call your broker to be sure and ask them, we are not the right resorces to answer you correctly. After you get an answer, I would be interested if you could post back to see what they told you

grandview (2006)
03-29-2006, 09:00 PM
This is just a little off, but I was talking to a friend of mine and he's the DOT supervisor in my area.He told me if your using a trailer for your business you have to have separate insurance for the trailer. Also said that's how they catch guys at the end of the inspection they ask for the ins. card for the trailer if not 350.00 find.

MMLawn
03-29-2006, 09:06 PM
This is just a little off, but I was talking to a friend of mine and he's the DOT supervisor in my area.He told me if your using a trailer for your business you have to have separate insurance for the trailer. Also said that's how they catch guys at the end of the inspection they ask for the ins. card for the trailer if not 350.00 find.

That TOTALLY depends on the state. While it may be in your state many other states do not require seperate insurance on a trailer as the vehicles insurance covers it and some states such as SC, don't even require tags on smaller landscape type trailers.

UNISCAPER
03-29-2006, 09:08 PM
Yep. Costs about $50.00 a year for each trailer. We photocoy all of our trailer card and place them in an envelope with the truck insurance card for that vehicle. that way no matter what that truck pulls, it has it's card and every other one they would ever need. When the DOT sees that they usually do the eye roll and knows he best find someone else for his blood money.

Crystal Brook Landscape
03-30-2006, 12:41 AM
Not a big DOT fan hu Bill.
:laugh:

UNISCAPER
03-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Paul:

In a word, no. I'm all for safety, but that's not what state DOTS are there for. The politicians don't dare raise taxes to increase police budgets, nor will they trim the fat and waste within their screwed up squanderous systems. So, the only way state and municipal governments have to increase funding is to write tickets taking the time of thousands of hard working people who for the most part, just want to get a job done.