PDA

View Full Version : Kia commercial trucks

General Landscaping
03-29-2006, 02:55 AM
What's the word on Kia's line of commercial trucks?

Saw one for the first time in the BVI's last week.
They look like a good mow crew truck outfitted with a dump bed.

Is it reasonably possible to get one state side?
How have they been holding up in Australia?

Lawn Masters
03-29-2006, 06:43 AM
Since its KIA, my advice, STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT. if its built anything like the sportage, its junk. Kia is generally crap.

General Landscaping
03-29-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm sure lots of people with Isuzu cars curse them every morning; yet the cabover trucks seem to be quite popular and rugged.

The Kia's went from a 0% market share to a 40% market share in a couple of years in Australia (all info subject to memory errors)

We have a few "down under" guys here, that may be able to give some real feedback on how the commercial trucks work out.

mcwlandscaping
03-29-2006, 09:15 AM
could you possibly provide a link to where i can see them, first thing i thought of when i saw "kia" and "commercial" was stay the hell away from it.......but i would be interested in seeing it!!

General Landscaping
03-29-2006, 11:56 AM
The website is in Flash or something, so I can't send you directly to it. You can get to them from here www.kiamotors.com

Go to "showroom", "commercial vehicles", "line-up"

The North American site kia.com has absolutley no mention of them.

Don't forget.... all the specs are in Metric.

TXLAWNBOY
03-29-2006, 11:46 PM
The new Kia's are nothing like the first ones. The first Sportage's were junk but the new Kia's are much better and many of them are built side by side with Hyundai which was named one of the top 5 car manufactures last year. My mom bought a '04 Sorento in Feb. '05 and I had my doubts, she now has about 20k miles and no problems at all. She was even not sure how good of a car it would be so she bought the LX instead of a loaded EX and now wants to trade up to the EX she loves it and that would be the only reason she would get rid of it is to trade up.

JasonX
03-30-2006, 12:00 AM
Hyundai owns Kia

Dirty Water
03-30-2006, 12:03 AM
Hyundia is where honda was in the mid '80s. Korea is very quickly figuring out the car business.

They have started to make excellent cars at a very affordable price for the last few years. They (and their sub company Kia) will be a major player within the next decade.

Just so you know, Hyundia and Kia don't make their own engines, they are all either Mitsubishi Engines or Mazda depending on the vehicle.

elmo1537
03-30-2006, 09:18 PM
They used a lot of kia commercial in the middle east. We had one on base that we used to haul s*** around with and no matter how hard we tried we couldnt kill it. Although they drive like a whole different machine. Ours was a five speed and most of the time when it was cold you had to power shift or double clutch it because it never wanted to go in gear until it got warmed up. When we got it it was brand new straight off of a c5. When I finally left we had put 30000 miles on it in three months. The clutch thing worked like that from day one. Maybe it was just a fluke though.

Mickhippy
03-30-2006, 09:29 PM
I really dont see many Kia's around, as far as I know anyway. Isuzu are probably the market leader. IMO I would look at Isuzu before Kia anyday!

http://www.kia.com.au/default.asp?action=article&ID=16499

http://www.isuzu.com.au/isuzutrucks_nseries.asp

General Landscaping
03-31-2006, 07:39 PM
The size is what caught my eye. The Isuzu's are on the big side and over qualified for a mow crew truck.
The Kia looked like a good size for around here.

AintNoFun
03-31-2006, 08:33 PM
my father had a kia 4 door car he used to commute with. the thing had like 180k miles on it when he sold it and all he ever did was oil changes, tires and brakes... the thing ran like brand new when he got rid of it after driving it in north jersey traffic for like 4 years... so dont knock all of the kias..

Mickhippy
03-31-2006, 09:38 PM
The size is what caught my eye. The Isuzu's are on the big side and over qualified for a mow crew truck.
The Kia looked like a good size for around here.

Yes, the Isusu NPR 200 is about the smallest in there line but much better for towing and carrying weight. Its a Truck as opposed to a light truck Kia.
The 06 NPR 200 can come with an automatic sort of transmission. It changes gears for you but different to auto (Automated Manual Transmission.)
Also hill start assist, Anti slip (stops wheels spinning when starting off on slippery surface), ABS. 5.2L Deisel.

I guess, if you needed a couple of vehicles for crews and didnt want to spend so much, the Kia would be suitable. They do have good sized trays.