PDA

View Full Version : flyers?? is it absolutely necessary

MowJoeLawnCare
03-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I am brand new in the business and I have got my equipment and everything ready to go. I have 3 accounts so far (though they are my friends its a start)and I began to run adds in 5 of the local papers and still no calls yet....So I am talking to my wife and telling her that I should do the flyer thing and she tells me to wait to use that as the last resort......becaaaause many many people that she talks to and knows detests the fact people come to their door and leave stuff, and they are kinda creeped out that someone was there that close to the house and they didn't know about it, and also there was a murder here recently by some people who were offering services door to door and then they would strong arm their way in the house rob the people and an elderly lady got murdered.....soo my ? is are flyers absolutely necessary? also I am trying to develop a letter to send to all the local realtors. Has anyone done this and if so may see a copy of their draft......
Thanks
JOe

Blade-o-grass
03-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Joe,
In my experience I have found that passing out flyer's is in fact necessary for the following reasons:

1 It gives you momentum. When you hit the "nobody is calling" slump, you can grab a handful of flyers and do something constructive. It helps me concentrate on the job at hand instead of what is NOT happening.

2. They actually work. I average at least one call per 100 flyers that I pass out. If after 100 flyers, 99 people were freaked out because a potential kill was so close to there house and only 1 person smiled because they finally got a # from someone who will mow their lawn then it would be worth it all. Focus on the 1 who actually wants what you have to offer.

What IS necessary is advertising! And however you chose to do that, whether you use flyers of not, people have got to know who you are and what you do. Word of mouth will take you far but before that happens someone must get some information that you cut lawns...and for me personally passing out flyers is absolutely necessary.

Just last week while passing out flyers I met a lady who was setting on her porch. She was glad to see me because she was wanting someone for her lawn care this year. Before I left I got her lawn, her parents lawn, the next door neighbors lawn, and her brother-in-laws lawn....this doesn't happen every day but it would have never happened if I wasn't out there pounding the pavement........GOOD LUCK!

Brendan Smith
03-29-2006, 02:59 PM
instead of placing them on doors, i use newspaper tubes. that way someone they don't know isn't at their door. just do not make the mistake of attaching them to or inserting them in mailboxes. the fines can be nasty for mailboxes. newspaper carriers will just tell you to stop, no big deal. i try to be considerate having worked for a paper and only do them on mon, tues, thurs, and fri nights as most wednesday and sunday papers are a pain in the a** to deal with when you're a carrier anyway. and if you don't always do it in the same area, most of them won't bother to complain anyway. i have tremendous response from fliers, especially in the middle class neighborhoods. my experience has been that everyone targets the rich folks and they may get several fliers a week. but in the middle class areas, there is not as much competition, at least in my area. i would say do it, cheaper than newspaper ads and very worthwhile. good luck.

Freddy_Kruger
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Flyers are great imo, they built my window cleaning business, not the Yellow Pages. Flyers and referrals are how I get my customers. I imagine it would be the same in lawn care. (I'm hoping).

As far as your newspaper ad, if it is exactly like everyone else's ad then they probably aren't doing better. I know this, in window cleaning, there are Hot times to distribute flyers and times where it is a waste of money. I don't know where you live or what "Mo" stands for so I don't know if lawn is in full spring rush or what but if it is GET FLYERS>NOW because I would imagine once the majority of potential customers are scooped up things will be even tougher on you.

B&D Lawn Care
03-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Without customers lined up you have to start at the bottom and that includes advertisment of any means necessary that may include flyers. That is how I started my business.

oslo
03-29-2006, 06:09 PM
I built my business by door hanging. I haven't done them in a few years, but still have alot left over. The weather has been so terrible here lately, that when Friday came and it was nice out, I decided to grab a bunch of em and go for a walk. I just put them on the lawns that were very flat/no trees/ fences/ mulchbeds, etc... and put a quote right on the doorhanger. Probably did about 50 houses and got 3 calls. 2 signed up and the other one wanted bi-weekly, which I do not offer, and wouldnt go for the weekly.

justanotherlawnguy
03-29-2006, 06:50 PM
No, I havent passed out one flyer in 2 years. I did before that and found it to be a complete waste of time..

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
03-29-2006, 07:52 PM
I put out my first 300 or so today-wish me luck!

mcwlandscaping
03-29-2006, 07:56 PM
I just put out 120, lotta walking just for that, i know i got AT LEAST one lady since i talked to her, most people weren't even home yet. SO hopefully thatll get me SOME more biz. I have many more left to hand out though.

Freddy_Kruger
03-29-2006, 08:09 PM
I just put out 120, lotta walking just for that, i know i got AT LEAST one lady since i talked to her, most people weren't even home yet. SO hopefully thatll get me SOME more biz. I have many more left to hand out though.
LOL, I pay 4.5 cents per

mcwlandscaping
03-29-2006, 08:45 PM
LOL, I pay 4.5 cents per
to have someone hand them out??

chriscraft
03-29-2006, 09:59 PM
we have never passed oput flyers , we advertise instead or do our own mailings to target specific areas, it works much better and is more professional.

lawnsplus
03-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Thats funny I pay .04 each for 5000 or more hung in a plastic bag on the front door. All I supply is the flyers.

10,000 more going out by no later than 4/14

Another 10,000 Going out by 5/1

Diferent areas.

Also recently had a deck, basement, kitchen and bath carpenter guy ask if I wanted to do a joint flyer his info on one side mine on the back, not sure if I like the idea yet.

Finally got a pizza place locally to put my flyer on the top of their pizza boxes with every pizza. He sells me gift certificates for pizzas at 50% off and any person that has us come out for a free estimate gets a free pizza coupon or I can bring the pizza with me to the estimate. did this twice.

Works pretty well has generated about 8 clients over the past 3 weeks. And 15 free pizzas.

Freddy_Kruger
03-30-2006, 01:10 PM
to have someone hand them out??
Yes in an ad bag, I hire guys to delivery addressed flyers, when I put addresses on them but this year I'm going a little more generic.

daveintoledo
03-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Yes in an ad bag, I hire guys to delivery addressed flyers, when I put addresses on them but this year I'm going a little more generic.

you have been in business 0 years..... so how will this year be different from last.....
:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

The landscaper
03-30-2006, 01:36 PM
The more ways you can get your name out their the better. Flyers work great for that, because even if people throw them away, you know they are going to look at it first and see what it is all about.

dcondon
03-30-2006, 02:25 PM
No, I havent passed out one flyer in 2 years. I did before that and found it to be a complete waste of time..

We have never put any out and still taking phone calls every day:cool2:

uvitols
03-30-2006, 03:22 PM
i've put out 250 with one hit and she didnt hire me . im brand new also and gettin ready to some more walking. thought about newspaper but not sure if its worth it. 239$ for 28 days?what do you think?

The landscaper
03-30-2006, 03:36 PM
flyers are all about numbers. You guys probably need to get out thousands of them to see some calls. It's a small return rate so it's just a numbers game.

uvitols
03-30-2006, 04:00 PM
yes, i understand what your saying. i guess im looking for some other ways of getting my name out there.

DistLawns
03-30-2006, 09:53 PM
I do very little actual walking around and handing out fliers. We have a local paper that puts my actual flier right in the middle of the paper, so when the paper gets opened up, my flier falls out and they are forced to look at it. I have over 24000 fliers going out to each neighborhood I specificly asked for them to be in. To me, this is well worth spending the money on, If I get only 1% return of these, thats 24 accounts. I would look into something like that if you want to grow fast.

GrassQuester
03-30-2006, 10:32 PM
I have around 59 clients and Id have to say over half were from flyers ,I actually just passed out some and got some calls. You should also try signs just stick them in a median somewhere but be expecting to replace them every few days as people will take them down, I have gotten some of my larger accounts by doing this the ones with acre yards that were far apart and I didnt feel like walking to each one.See a yard that looks like crap with a real estate sign on it dont hesitate to call its extra money now and the person that buys the house might just keeep ya :)

BALSECA LANDSCAPING
04-05-2006, 03:13 PM
Flyers Are The Bomb!!!!!!!!!!i Every Weekend I Go With My Kids And We Pick A Suburb And Pass Them Out At Least 500 Per Day. By Monday My Phone Is Ringing Off The Hook For Estimates. I Am Truly Amazed At All The Response. I Create My Own Flyers And Get Them Done For About .03 A Copy From Staples.

grassmasterdawn
04-08-2006, 02:48 AM
We have never put any out and still taking phone calls every day:cool2:

What kind of advertising are you doing to get those kinds of results?:confused:

mow2nd
04-08-2006, 05:15 AM
I pay .02 cents per copy and distribute 1000 flyers a day, that's my only form of advertising and it works great

mow2nd
04-08-2006, 05:18 AM
By the way, if you wanna know how u can get .02 per copy, go to STAPLES, you gotta ask for 2001 copies on economy paper. I also get 2 flyers on a page and have them cut it, It's like $2 per cut and they do 4 cuts. Basically it runs me $51.00 and I get 4,004 copies which comes out to really paying only .012 cents per copy...................Black and White of course.