PDA

View Full Version : Arbs, what the closest??

LB Landscaping
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Got hired to plant Arbovities (sp?) along the property line of a new customers house. The line is 240 ft and he is using the arbs for privacy. He wants instant gratification on the privacy and wants 6-8ft arbs (assuming I can get that many). Whats the closest arbs this size can be planted, he would like them planted right next to each other. Any advise??

sheshovel
03-29-2006, 06:23 PM
I woulden't plant them any closer than 10 to 15' apart staggered rows

joshua
03-29-2006, 09:18 PM
personally i would go with a cultivar. one that doesn't get as tall and ugly as a true arborvitee. you'd be lucky to find any in a garden center that are over 4-5' tall.on spacing depending on what variety you get 1' spacing is good.

JB1
03-29-2006, 10:17 PM
we planted some 8' -10' foot ones to screen a hot tub, and we planted them where the ball were touching (yeah kinky) they were a pretty good screen then and now they are a solid screen and looks great.

Coffeecraver
03-30-2006, 05:03 AM
Trees can be planted on 12'centers,the bed should be cut at least 6' wide with intentions of widening the bed as the trees grow.

Offset rows would give the screen full effect sooner. If that is the way you go then create the bed 12' wide to include all trees.

The bed will help to protect the trees from lawn mowers and weed eaters.

The Arborviate it is slow and would take time to create the screen.

Below is a site that has a different idea

http://www.nurserytrees.com/Arborvitae_What_You_Need_to_Know.htm

AGLA
03-30-2006, 06:42 AM
If you want a hedge, plant a hegde. Arborvitaes lend themselves well as an evergreen hedge. JB1 put together a hedge.

If you plant these 12' apart, you won't have a hedge.

Arbs that are 6-8' will be wider than their root balls, most likely. If you have the equipment to dig a trench, do so. Then place the arbs so that they just meet, foliage to foliage.

Hedges have been made forcenturies for the exact reason that your client has given. There is not a lot of privacy by putting up fence posts, you need the fence sections as well. Arbs 12' apart are fence posts.

LB Landscaping
03-30-2006, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the great advise guys. He loves arbs so that is definatly the way he wants to go. I have never planted arbs this size closer than 3 ft apart at the root balls. I know he want "instant gratification" so thye will need to be touching to achieve his desired result. Thanks Again!!!!

treedoc1
03-30-2006, 07:23 AM
I noticed that you were from Maine. It won't matter how far apart you plant them if everything 4' and under has been browsed away.

You might want to look at planting something else if deer pressure is a problem in your area.

I have had sucess with Thuja plicata Green Giant, the deer don't seem to bother it, but it is hardy only to zone 5, you might be less.

PSUturf
03-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Techny and Nigra arbs are fairly wide while Emeralds are narrow. Stagger them as suggested.