PDA

View Full Version : My first patio!

beautifullawns
03-29-2006, 06:26 PM
I've been thinking about getting into hardscaping and thought I would give it a try. I know a lot of stuff is done wrong but I threw it together in about 2 hours including hand excavating. I still have to touch up somethings tommorow but I thought I'd share what I've done. I think I'm going to take the ICPI class next time around.

sheshovel
03-29-2006, 06:36 PM
Not bad but I think you went too low and Your"off" on one side.If the soil is as high as it looks surrounding the pavers how will you keep it from flooding?I would call that a landing..not quite a patio yet.

beautifullawns
03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
It is only low to the stairs, the dirt is actually level with the the pavers, eventhough it looks like it is higher.

YardPro
03-29-2006, 07:08 PM
this will sound bad, but i mean the following in a constructive way, so please do not feel attacked by my post.

here's what i see wrong.

the pad looks out of plane. looks like there is a dip between the first two courses from the steps.

what will retain the soil under the concrete step. Looks like a vertical wall of dirt from the closest paver to the concrete step.

you never want to use more than one of the same type of paver in a row.

you have several 6x6 in a row and several 6x9 in a row.
these should have been staggered.

lastly is a few questions on ehat you cannot see.

you should have at least 4" of compacter aggregate then 1" sand setting bed with the pavers on top.

cannot see what is under there, so just giving "IcpI" standards.

everybody has a first job somewhere, and i have mine also, so i am not bashing, just trying to be helpful.

beautifullawns
03-29-2006, 07:28 PM
The pavers are laid that way for the pattern. "I" pattern I think its called. I did use 4" of 3/4" crushed stone base, compacted it then leveled out 1" of sand, laid the pavers, put sand on top of the pavers and compacted again, finally brushed sand off. I'm fixing the area by the bottom of the steps tommorow. The stairs were set high (prefabed stairs) and its such a small area the incline to level the pavement to the bottom of the stairs would be to steep. One line of pavers is not level but thats do to not planning it right and trying to finish it to fast (its my house I could care less). I might fix it later down the road and make it bigger.

beautifullawns
03-29-2006, 07:56 PM
The more I've been thinking I don't think just filling in the area under the steps is going to work. What would you guys suggest?

sheshovel
03-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Well,I'm not a guy but I suggest you pull the whole thing out and put down a thicker base to bring the pavers up to where they should be where you have stuffed in sand,then put a holding edger in around it instead of trying to hold it with the surrounding soil.Do not take this as a personal affront..I do not mean it in that way at all..just giving you my honest opinion..

amvega
03-29-2006, 08:16 PM
My suggestion would be to remove all pavers and start over. You need to make sure you have a pitch out from the steps. Also try to make the pad a little larger. This is your first one so make sure you learn from mistakes. There is a lot of guys that do pavers but only a handful are installing them according to ICPI standards. That is the "I" pattern, but I would recommend that you put a soldier course around it to give it some character. Trust me I'm not bashing you, but if you want to do pavers make sure you think about it before jumping in with both feet.:drinkup:

beautifullawns
03-29-2006, 08:54 PM
If I tear it up and raise it the bricks will be to high for the driveway. The space at the bottom of stairs and edge of the pavers is about 1 inch out and 2 inches high. The way the pic is it looks a lot worse than it really is. I think I would wait and learn more before I was to make it larger. Whats a soldier couse?

Drafto
03-29-2006, 08:55 PM
I've been thinking about getting into hardscaping and thought I would give it a try. I know a lot of stuff is done wrong but I threw it together in about 2 hours including hand excavating. I still have to touch up somethings tommorow but I thought I'd share what I've done. I think I'm going to take the ICPI class next time around.

Chris (CGLand), knock it off! Is this you playing around again? We know this wasn't your first patio but it does look like your work. Maybe I should put this picture on my trailer.

Dan

cgland
03-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Dan - I've seen your work! If I were you I would ask beautifullawns for permission to use that photo. This way your customers will know what they are getting.

j/k

Chris

neversatisfiedj
03-30-2006, 08:22 AM
Glue a 6x9 paver to the face of the step.

Squizzy246B
03-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Looks fine to me...I couldn't lay a paver if my life depended on it...when our guys do old recycled brick paving I watch...supervise by offering bad advice and drive the compactor. Tried a couple of times...I know, its all in the preparation, but my paving looks like the Himalayas;) :confused: :dizzy: I'll stick to concrete and poured limestone...braver man than me:rolleyes: