PDA

View Full Version : How to start?

Branchland
03-29-2006, 07:22 PM
Can anybody recommed a good book for starting a nursurey? I'm just wanting to start growing a few differant type trees and shrubs. Mainly just to practice and see what happens.

phototropic1
03-29-2006, 07:59 PM
Read "So You Want to Start a Nursery?" by Tony Avent. Not to dissuade you, but it IS a cautionary tale!

Branchland
03-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks. I'll check that book out. I'm wanting to know how to acually start a plant from scratch, or from a clipping.

FSully
03-29-2006, 08:50 PM
Thanks. I'll check that book out. I'm wanting to know how to acually start a plant from scratch, or from a clipping.

A good book on plant propagation.......

"The American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation" by Alan Toogood
and 2 more that I can't think of right at the moment. Check out Amazon and search for Plant Propagation

jhgilliland
03-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Check Out: The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture: A Practical Working Guide to the Propagation of over 1100 Species - Michael A. Dirr, Charles W., Jr. Heuser, Bonnie L. Dirr (Illustrator), Charles W. Heuser Jr (Contributor) - 1987

My professor at Penn State co-authored it. He is very knowledgeable and the book should be able to help you alot

FSully
03-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Check Out: The Reference Manual of Woody Plant Propagation: From Seed to Tissue Culture: A Practical Working Guide to the Propagation of over 1100 Species - Michael A. Dirr, Charles W., Jr. Heuser, Bonnie L. Dirr (Illustrator), Charles W. Heuser Jr (Contributor) - 1987

My professor at Penn State co-authored it. He is very knowledgeable and the book should be able to help you alot

Yes, this is one of the two that I was thinking about, and the other "Plant Propogation:Principles and Practices by Hartmann, Kester, Davies,Geneve". New this book with the CD will run about $100, so you might try to find a used version with the CD.