PDA

View Full Version : A classy guy

drsogr
03-29-2006, 08:19 PM
I was sodding a back yard of a house that we have been doing some work on including a pond and some landscaping. We had sod sitting on the front driveway and my truck was parked across the street. A truegreen/chemlawn guy was talking to my customer as I came up front. He was going door to door. I talked to my customer about it....she was more outraged then I was. Her husband owns a remodeling company and she couldn't believe that someone would do something like that.

The guy came by and talked to me afterwards and proceeded to tell me how I should run my landscaping business. I explained to him that I didn't take advice from a salesman. If he wasn't in front of my customers house he would have gotten an ass kicking.

I don't mind competing for business....but if I am at the house doing the work....its off limits. I am pissed....I feel like going to chemlawn tomorrow and giving them a fertilization bid. :angry: :angry:

drsogr
03-30-2006, 07:18 AM
I guess I must not have a reason to be mad....does no one agree with me?

CutInEdge Lawn Care
03-30-2006, 08:38 AM
Salesman have no tact. Well some do not. Anyway, I would be pissed too. Can you put some flyers up around there headquarters or everytime you see the truck follow and get out when they get out and leave a flyer? Every year I see signs in yards "Chem Lawn Burned my grass" painted on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. Good Luck!!

24ON48OFF
03-30-2006, 11:48 AM
They came by my house the other day and tried to sell me on their program (if you want to call it that). I listened to see what he would say and he told me that it would take about a year to get my yard looking good. I laughed and told him that I have a maintenace co. and would be doing my own fert. His reply was, "I aint tryin' to take your mowin' from ya". I told him I wasnt worried about that and I was not intrested. In a rude way he said something under his breath and turned and walked away.

I dont know anyone (personally or customer wise) that has past experience with them and has anything positive to say. I amagine their repeat business has to be suffering.

drsogr
03-30-2006, 01:26 PM
Well they have set the example on how to grow a company with tons of advertising.

dcondon
03-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I guess I must not have a reason to be mad....does no one agree with me?

I agree with you. That's what that co is like, lots of people here are droping them!!!!:cool2:

Flow Control
03-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Chem Lawn is only a fert company right now in my parts of the woods. If I understand you right they do installs and mowing where you are from? So take Chem Lawn, John Deere Landscapes and Davey Tree and sooner or later the market is going to similar to every other industry where only the big companies survive. That is way I will not purchase from John Deere Landscapes. I know a lot of LCO's that sub large fert jobs to Chem Lawn in order to get the work.

drsogr
03-30-2006, 08:47 PM
Chem Lawn is only a fert company right now in my parts of the woods. If I understand you right they do installs and mowing where you are from? So take Chem Lawn, John Deere Landscapes and Davey Tree and sooner or later the market is going to similar to every other industry where only the big companies survive. That is way I will not purchase from John Deere Landscapes. I know a lot of LCO's that sub large fert jobs to Chem Lawn in order to get the work.

They do seeding...aereation and fertilization here. We have big companies here as well. I don't see chem lawn as my competitor though. I just see them as idiots.

I provide something alot of clients can't get anywhere else. Great customer service. I take care of my customers good....sometimes too good.

CutInEdge Lawn Care
04-01-2006, 02:13 AM
They do seeding...aereation and fertilization here. We have big companies here as well. I don't see chem lawn as my competitor though. I just see them as idiots.

I provide something alot of clients can't get anywhere else. Great customer service. I take care of my customers good....sometimes too good.

What companies service the Goddard area. I grew up there. My parents may need some services this summer. Gettn Old!! I used to mow the old AT&T building when I was 15,16,17'ish. Times have sure changed. 7 acres. I think it's a Krogers warehouse or something now. not sure.

Runner
04-01-2006, 05:37 AM
I don't know. If you were laying sod or doing landscaping, and he came by as a fert. and squirt business, they are two whole different businesses. If someone was putting a new brick porch on a house, and a window guy came by to give an estimate, would that be such a bad thing? Is there anything on your truck to indicate that you do fert or chem.? That would perhaps be a different thing. But I have to say, I've done close to that myself. I've approached people with new lawn about the proper nutritional program for it if I know the installing company doesn't do that type of work. Another thing to consider of course though, is that this guy is just a salesman. He was hitting all the houses in the neighborhood anyway. That house was just another in line.

drsogr
04-01-2006, 07:25 AM
What companies service the Goddard area. I grew up there. My parents may need some services this summer. Gettn Old!! I used to mow the old AT&T building when I was 15,16,17'ish. Times have sure changed. 7 acres. I think it's a Krogers warehouse or something now. not sure.

I am not for sure who is all out there. I grew up out there as well...but I hadn't been out there for a while. That sure is a huge building....I know exactly which one you are talking about.

drsogr
04-01-2006, 07:33 AM
I don't know. If you were laying sod or doing landscaping, and he came by as a fert. and squirt business, they are two whole different businesses. If someone was putting a new brick porch on a house, and a window guy came by to give an estimate, would that be such a bad thing? Is there anything on your truck to indicate that you do fert or chem.? That would perhaps be a different thing. But I have to say, I've done close to that myself. I've approached people with new lawn about the proper nutritional program for it if I know the installing company doesn't do that type of work. Another thing to consider of course though, is that this guy is just a salesman. He was hitting all the houses in the neighborhood anyway. That house was just another in line.

We don't do fertilizations and chem apps. But we had already sold her on seeding her front yard and sodding her back. We hadn't overseeded the front yet. From what she said he kept telling her that if she wanted a professional company to seed her front yard instead of us...then to give him a call. Chemlawn around her does many things. Many companies around her do more than one thing. There is too much overlap to be doing stuff like that.

Your right he was a salesman...but he should have enough common sense not to sell to a yard that is being worked on. If I was a different person...that guy would have ass kicked. If this industry is so tight that we have to climb over each other to get customers that's a bad situation.

What happens if he comes up and says he is going to do something that I was about to do for cheaper? Can you imagine that mess? What a sad situation. I sure and the heck don't want to run my business that way.

Runner
04-01-2006, 01:49 PM
Now THAT's a whole different story. That would be like taking my examples and saying the guys that were doing the porch,...having soeone else go up and tell the people "Hey, if you want a professional job on that porch, I can give you a price.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Agreed I would have taken him behind the neigbors house and beat the holy crap out of him for having the gaul to try and sell when I was working on the property.Well I woulden't have let him get to the front door I would have headed him off at the pass and let him know who's toes he was stepping on and just how that made me feel in terms he could clearly understand.... that's for sure!

olderthandirt
04-01-2006, 02:56 PM

Whats the differnce

That would be like taking my examples and saying the guys that were doing the porch,...having soeone else go up and tell the people "Hey, if you want a professional job on that porch, I can give you a price.

Great work and taking good care of your customers why should it matter? if the customer wants someone else there gonna find them, it might be 5 min. after you leave but they will get someone else.

I would rather it happen while I'm there, at least I know where I stand with my customer

We don't own our customers or have "special" areas that are off limit to other companys. Either you specialize or you go out of business. specialize by low price or quality what ever works for you