PDA

View Full Version : Want To Start Spraying in V.T, Need a Small Rig Where Do i buy? Gilsonite?Please HELP

larry_chip
03-29-2006, 11:21 PM
I Live in Burlington Vermont & I Wanted to start spraying residential driveways, Alot of my cussin's spray but they don't live around here & so i'm starting by my self, I Spoke to my uncle & He said all i need is a 50 to 60 gal take, & He said that I Should use Gilsonite (Didn't spell that right) because it is the easyest for beginners like me, he says that the Watermoton is harder to do & After i've had a year or two i could move up to that.

I've been reading this forum all day & I Don't understand why everyone who sprays residential driveways uses such big tanks (200+Gal) I Was told that 50 to 60 gal would do the job just fine?

What I Need is a Starter Kit with a small tank I Liked the at Star Seal Of Ohio at http://www.starsealofohio.com/catalog/sealcoat-rig.html but with a smaller tank & I'm not sure if this is watermotion or gilsonite? where can i buy a system like this with a long hose & maybe a Hose Wheel for under 1000.00? any used systems out there? I'm in Burlington & I'm willing to drive to Albany or to Boston Area to pick one up, Please help out & Let me know which is better to start with & if the smaller 50gal would do the job.

Thank You Very Much

I Also know that i need some mops,A Good Leaf Blower.

SealAndCoat
03-29-2006, 11:38 PM
Gilsonite is not a sealer, its a solvent based rejuvinator. It is banned in a lot of places because of its VOC. It should not be applied by an amateur and requires professional equipment. If you apply it wrong, you will disolve the driveway and turn it to mush and end up having to foot the bill for a new driveway. Those star seal rigs are garbage and are not professional seal coating rigs. Get a round, metal tank. The reason for larger rigs is so you can spend less time driving around for sealer and more time doing jobs. You have to think of the gas and time you will spend driving to Albany or Boston just to get sealer. 50-60 gallons sealer will do like 2-3 driveways at most.
Start with a coal-tar or asphalt emulsion sealer, more room for error and its almost impossible to ruin pavement with it. Doing shoddy work, using gilsonite and not knowing much about the business before diving into it is what gives legit contractors a bad name.

larry_chip
03-30-2006, 12:04 AM
Okay So What's the deal with coal-tar or asphalt emulsion sealer is it the same short of sealer? & Is the water motion harder? please all info helps.

Also I Have a 95 F150 & I Wanted to have it in the bed rather then towing it in a trailer, so what size could fit in the bed?

linepainter
04-06-2006, 03:21 PM
I am not a sealcoater but I am a striper, since you live in Vermont who belongs to the new OTC laws, you better due A LOT of research on the products that you use. You are not permitted to use ANY oil based product with more than 250 grams of VOCs. If or better WHEN you get caught, you will loose everything and most of the time spend time in jail. They are not playing around with this new bunch of laws. Do your research and have a good year.

Jim:usflag:

larry_chip
04-10-2006, 12:09 AM
so what oil based dose have 250 or less grams of VOC, how can i find out about the laws in my local area?

onahill
04-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Material Safety Data Sheet(Gilsonite sealer)
MSDS NO. 90-11.5

1. PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

GSB-88 -APPEARANCE AND ODOR: BROWN(black) LIQUID WITH SLIGHT RESINOUS ODOR

HAZARD RATING: HEALTH 1
FIRE 0
REACTIVITY 0

ANSI: CAUTION! MAY CAUSE EYE AND SKIN IRRITATION.

2.HAZARDOUS COMPONENTS

INGREDIENT CAS NO. PERCENT TLV PEL
GILSONITE 12002-43-6 PROPRIETARY 5mg/m3 N/E
AROMATIC OIL 64747-53-6 INFORMATION .2mg/m3 N/E
PETROLEUM ASPHALT 8052-42-4 5mg/m3 N/E
ADDITIVES N/A N/E N/E
WATER 7732-18-5 N/E N/E

3.OVERVIEW

GSB-88 IS A COLLOIDAL DISPERSION OF GILSONITE, ASPHALT, AND AROMATIC OIL IN WATER AND ADDITIVES. AFTER THE WATER HAS BEEN REMOVED, AND TEMPERATURE OF THE BITUMEN EXCEEDS 400 DEGREES F(204 DEGREES C), MAY BURN IF IGNITED. THE PRODUCT CONTAINS SMALL AMOUNTS OF ADDITIVES, WHICH CAN VARY IN COMPOSITION QUANTITIES. THESE ADDITIVES ARE NOT HAZARDOUS IN THE SMALL QUANTITIES USED.

4. PHYSICAL DATA

DESCRIPTION: DARK BROWN LIQUID, RESINOUS ODOR
BOILING POINT: 212 DEGREES F
(100 DEGREES C)
VAPOR PRESSURE: 23.7 mm OF Hg AT 77 DEGREES F (25 DEGREES C)
VAPOR DENSITY: 0.62
SOLUBILITY IN WATER: 100%
SPECIFIC GRAVITY: 1.02
PERCENT VOLATILE BY VOLUME: 32-42
EVAPORATION RATE: N/D

5. FIRE AND EXPLOSION DATA

FLASH POINT (CLOSED CUP): NONE UNLESS WATER IS REMOVED
EXPLOSIVE LIMITS: N/D
AUTO IGNITION TEMP: N/D
FIRE POINT: N/D
EXTINGUISHING MEDIA: DRY CHEMICAL, WATER, FOAM, CO2
HAZARDOUS DECOMPOSITION PRODUCTS: CARBON MONOXIDE AND CARBON DIOXIDE
SPECIAL FIRE FIGHTING PROCEDURES: IF ENTERING A CONFINED AREA, FIRE FIGHTERS SHOULD WEAR A NIOSH APPROVED SELF-CONTAINED BREATHING APPARATUS
UNUSUAL FIRE & EXPLOSION HAZARDS: MAY FOAM IF HEATED ABOVE 212 DEGREES F (100 DEGREES C)

larry_chip
04-10-2006, 12:10 PM
What Dose that ^^^ Mean?, I Don't understand?

what's the name of the sealer I Need?

juddburdon
04-14-2006, 09:56 AM
What Dose that ^^^ Mean?, I Don't understand?

what's the name of the sealer I Need?

Hey Larry,

If you want to use oil based sealer the brand is usually called "Black Mac" or just "Petroleum Based Sealer" or "Oil Based Sealer".

The best thing to do is find out what your city permits in regards to sealer. Many cities do not permit oil based sealer to be applied for environmental reasons. You can call 'city hall' to find out the answer to this. They should have this information ;)

Have you already purchase a sealing system? If so what kind of system do you have? Important to know this before you buy ANY product as certain spray systems are ONLY compatible with certain sealers.

All the best to you! :waving:

onahill
04-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Gilsonite sealer... http://www.texasrefinery.com/

onahill
04-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Texas Refinery Corp.
look under, Protective Coatings, Blacktop maintenance
QUICK-DRY (gilsonite)

onahill
05-02-2006, 12:53 PM
so what oil based dose have 250 or less grams of VOC, how can i find out about the laws in my local area?
What Dose that ^^^ Mean?, I Don't understand?[/QUOTE]

The tex in red is the voc# the sheet I posted is the MSDS for gilsonite sealer.
it answers the Q. that was asked.
PERCENT VOLATILE BY VOLUME: 32-42
Now, after you find out what is allowed in your area, you can use this (MSDS) sheet or one from your distributer for the product you are using and see if you are in acceptable limits

OSHA.... ask them what the acceptable VOC limits are, they will tell you.

Gilsonite spray man
04-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Okay So What's the deal with coal-tar or asphalt emulsion sealer is it the same short of sealer? & Is the water motion harder? please all info helps.

Also I Have a 95 F150 & I Wanted to have it in the bed rather then towing it in a trailer, so what size could fit in the bed?

Larry you go ahead and buy the gilsonite rig, you won't ruin any driveways,
it's easier to use than the coal tar and it's legal, just contact asphalt care in Bensalem Pa, It is legal now been doing it for thirty years, go get em

PROCUT1
04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Just dont try and sell gilsonite as a "sealcoat"

Its a colorant. Lasts maybe 6 months and is slick as hell when wet.

You will never see a commercial account that would allow that stuff.

If you want to do "driveway sealing" you will need to use asphalt emulsion, or even better coal tar.

If you want to make quick cash from uneducated customers by making their driveway black, then use oil base.

Coater
04-18-2008, 05:40 PM
Just dont try and sell gilsonite as a "sealcoat"

Its a colorant. Lasts maybe 6 months and is slick as hell when wet.

You will never see a commercial account that would allow that stuff.

If you want to do "driveway sealing" you will need to use asphalt emulsion, or even better coal tar.

If you want to make quick cash from uneducated customers by making their driveway black, then use oil base.

:waving: You took thw words right out of my mouth.

nitro121
04-23-2008, 08:53 AM
Asphalt doesn't wear out.....It dries out. And that is why you should use gilsonite. :cry:

I called 3 companies in central Va....and 2 of them used gilsonite. They said they use it because it permiates the ashphalt keeping it soft.....sealcoat covers the top and the asphalt still hardens from the bottom up and eventually cracks/breaks.

So I don't know what to do/use. All 3 were companies I found online w/ plenty of years in business, websites, etc.. So who is right and who is wrong??? I'd say you can't go wrong with either.

peace

Coater
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I'd like to see thier web site!

nitro121
04-28-2008, 02:02 AM
http://www.absoluteasphalt.org/drivewaymaintenance/

nitro121
04-28-2008, 02:03 AM
Asphalt doesn't wear out, it dries out. Keeping proper oils, resins and gilsonite in asphalt means years of added life to new and old pavement! If your pavement is cracking, Equinox will not fill cracks, but it helps it from cracking further. Don't be misled by cheap latex products sold at (do-it-yourself) home improvement centers. All of these sealers cause more damage than good. Latex seals smoother, suffocating the asphalt pavement, not allowing it to expand and contract, causing hairline cracks and doing more damage than good. Equinox LN-11 can be applied in all temperatures. The driveway will be ready to be driven on in 24 hours.

Mdirrigation
04-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Equinox ln 11 is not a sealer , its paint . plain and simple .

Coal tar emulsion was developed as a sealer for for use at airports where they refueled the planes . The spillage was disolving the asphalt .

Drop a piece of asphalt in a bucket of coal tar for a day then pull it out and let it dry. See what happens

Drop a piece of asphalt in a bucket of gilsonite panit and see if you have anything to pull out .

nitro121
04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
these guys have been in business for years...this is what they sell, this is what you get. How can it be THAT bad?

Maybe it isn't as good as sealer, according to you, but it does have a purpose and it does protect the asphalt right?

Coater
05-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I guess if you have the right equipment-- A heated tank so you don't have to thin with a gas or nappa. The stuff people use to thin it enought to spray will eat right through asphalt. I have not seen any commercial work done with this and I have been around sealing for 30 yrs. Unless it was a fly by night doing it..

seal4cash
06-03-2008, 11:29 PM
50-60 gallons sealer will do like 2-3 driveways at most.

I respectfully disagree...i do 10+ residential average size driveways on 50 gal of gilsonite....i use 80015 plastic tele-jet tip from the tsc.