PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Yards

Grayson
03-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I went recently to a home to give the potential customer an estimate, they werent there but wanted me to look it over and give them an estimate later. I walked the whole yard and it seemed like a easy job till i went to the back yard. They have a 80x60 riverfront back yard (four foot drop from the yard to the water) thats so steep i can barely walk on it and they want me to somehow cut it. I dont know how im supposed to cut it or even what to charge if i can figure it out!
If anyone has any ideas please help me out.
Grayson

All_Clear
03-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Buy a boat and use the trimmer......

If it's that much of a hassle bid it way high, you'll either make good money on it or they'll find some sucker to do it for nothing.

All_Clear

mcwlandscaping
03-29-2006, 11:13 PM
would this be a good application for a floating mower?

Grayson
03-29-2006, 11:22 PM
i was thinkin i might just tie a rope to my push mower and let it up and down the hill on a rope, and bid it way high

All_Clear
03-29-2006, 11:24 PM
I see homeowners do that here in town, looks kinda funny but sure beats trying to walk it.

All_Clear

mcwlandscaping
03-29-2006, 11:25 PM
i was thinkin i might just tie a rope to my push mower and let it up and down the hill on a rope, and bid it way high
DON'T LET GO!!!lol, sounds like a good idea, and cheaper than buying a floating mower.

olderthandirt
03-29-2006, 11:40 PM
cut it and have some one lisc. apply a growth regulator. And charge accordingly

Jay Ray
03-29-2006, 11:43 PM
A lot of guys are not going to bid it, or bid it high, because it will take a lot of effort and extra time.

You might give them a trial price and explain that the prop is difficult to estimate and the price could possibly go up, or down, depending on how the first cut goes.

Get some kind of cleated or spike shoes. A weed whip might be the best and safest tool to use. If you can get a good arc path that covers the whole slope, you might be able to kind of shuffle along the slope sideways without having to go up and down the slope with the feet. Arc cut and advance, arc cut and advance, going slice by slice to the far prop line. Much harder than mowing level ground.

You could also try a hover mower, but they are a workout also. Much heavier than a whip.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-29-2006, 11:47 PM
I recently dropped a yard as you described also on a riverfront. The back yard was so steep could barely do it with a weedeater. I had underbid on it big time and I would have to more than double the price of what I was charging. The lady balked at that so I had to let it go. Make it worth your while or pass on it. I hated this yard so badly got to where I had to make myself go do it.