PDA

View Full Version : Estimates

ozd12005
03-30-2006, 01:49 AM
what is your guys take on getting a call asking for a free estimate for weekly lawn maintenance or a landscaping job and the customer just says put it in the mailbox and I'll get back to you (yes I know its illegal)

The estimate is free for them and cost me money and time in many ways IMO why should I waste my time and money when they can't take the time for a simple face to face 5-10 min chat.

olderthandirt
03-30-2006, 02:08 AM
I won't waste my time with shoppers. If they can't take a few min. then neither can I.

firefightergw
03-30-2006, 04:30 AM
I agree completely. I've gotten a couple of calls this week from my flyer distribution asking me to do just that. At the very least, I will not leave it for them but will call. I think some of these people already have a company doing their lawn and want to use you as a farting post to negotiate with their current provider. At least if I can give it to them over the phone, I can SELL. Can't do that by leaving a piece of paper with a number on it.

ozd12005
03-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I agree completely. I've gotten a couple of calls this week from my flyer distribution asking me to do just that. At the very least, I will not leave it for them but will call. I think some of these people already have a company doing their lawn and want to use you as a farting post to negotiate with their current provider. At least if I can give it to them over the phone, I can SELL. Can't do that by leaving a piece of paper with a number on it.

yeppers, how can a piece of paper sell itself is my thinking, Glad I'm not alone in thinking they are a time waster

scagwildcat
03-31-2006, 10:29 AM
i tell, all the people that call me , that i need to talk with them in person, so they can show me what they want done and their prop, lines, to ensure a proper estimate. and if they say, cant you just look at it? no i cant. like was said above. price shoppers, if they cant take the time, I'm not going to waist mine!!! i had a call, we spoke for about 10min in that time , she said free estimate 30 times, my response, are you really interested in my services, or do you already have some one? then the truth comes out!!!

Splicer
03-31-2006, 10:36 AM
Now see in my situation I would ask for the callers # (home, cell or work), go do the estimate leaving a price in her door, and calling back that night. I need all the opportunities I can get right now and I sure won't close the door on that opportunity. I mean who knows? Maybe they are shopping around. Maybe they will like your price/features and hire you?

4x4Jim
03-31-2006, 02:05 PM
what is your guys take on getting a call asking for a free estimate for weekly lawn maintenance or a landscaping job and the customer just says put it in the mailbox and I'll get back to you (yes I know its illegal)

The estimate is free for them and cost me money and time in many ways IMO why should I waste my time and money when they can't take the time for a simple face to face 5-10 min chat.

Well, if you want the work you will do it. I have had people ask me to do this, and I have gotten the jobs. If you don't want to deal with that, you shouldn't be in this business.

Jpocket
03-31-2006, 10:39 PM
Thats the way we do things around here. Put you price on the form and stick it in the door and off you go.

grass-scapes
04-02-2006, 10:08 PM
As of now, I do not leave a price on their door or anywhere else for that matter. I tell them when I speak to them on the phone that I will call them back after I view and measure the property. I ask them on the initial phone call about gates, dogs, and any special things I should know before I visit. I am polite and explain how I do my estimates and most customers are good with that. When I call them back, I tell them what I saw, what my recommendations are and my price for what they originally asked for ( I have a form from which I ask questions). If the price is high, or they want to change something, I can do it on the fly and attempt to make my sale right then, instead of them having a set price on a piece of paper. I found it works better for me right now.

olderthandirt
04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Well, if you want the work you will do it. I have had people ask me to do this, and I have gotten the jobs. If you don't want to deal with that, you shouldn't be in this business.

Dam 2 yrs in the biz and knows all about dealing with people and can even tell which ones should or should not be in the business :nono:

dcondon
04-02-2006, 10:36 PM
I won't waste my time with shoppers. If they can't take a few min. then neither can I.

Like you say. If we can't meet with them then to bad!!!