PDA

View Full Version : Contrctor work

Duck Dodger
03-30-2006, 02:37 AM
I just started doing work for a contractor here. They ask me to do all work and materials bill them and be paid in 2-3 weeks. I don't like this idea 1 I don't like financing their jobs 2 I don't like waiting that long for my money 3 they are a big company but big copmanies bankrupt too I would hate for them to bankrupt oweing me 7-8 Gs. Do any of you others do work like this. I work for other contractors but they usually set me up with the homeowner after the home is built. I want to work for this company they build 3-4 homes per month, at the same time I don't like them having me pay for everything. Any ideas?:confused:

dcgreenspro
03-30-2006, 02:41 AM
you should try rearranging your payment plan for eithier 1/2 up front and then 1/2 at the end. that way your expenses will be paid. I use this all the time doing commercial landscaping installation.

LawnScenes
03-30-2006, 03:36 AM
Don't let them set your pay schedule... Most of them don't wait for their money. Why should you?

AintNoFun
03-30-2006, 08:20 AM
most big contractors ARE going to dictate there pay schedule and if you dont like it they'll just call another one of the thousands of landscapers who will be probably jump all over the work. in all my years of business i have never gotten a deposit or any type of money up front when dealing with a g.c., builder, etc.... too much competition to allow that to happen. it does suck...

Splicer
03-30-2006, 09:10 AM
most big contractors ARE going to dictate there pay schedule and if you dont like it they'll just call another one of the thousands of landscapers who will be probably jump all over the work. in all my years of business i have never gotten a deposit or any type of money up front when dealing with a g.c., builder, etc.... too much competition to allow that to happen. it does suck...
Finally, someone who has a grasp on reality...:clapping:

Why are you complaining? You have a golden opportunity to make even more money. Since you are supplying the materials you can add your own mark-up on them. That should help defray the waiting period.:drinkup:

LandscapePro
03-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Finally, someone who has a grasp on reality...:clapping:

Not really.....

That's just a choice of investing your cash flow with a builder whose going to crank out 3 perhaps 4 "low end, just enough to get by and call it landscaping, jobs per month.

In the end you wind up swapping dollars and not making much profit.

The money is in doing higher end work for the homeowner. I've yet to see any builder invest money in a nice landscape job.

Mike
La. Landscape Contractor #2576

Duck Dodger
03-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Thanks for your replies. I convinced them to pay for all my materials at 3% of the job. I know that can be alot of money but, I'm not in the banking biz and don't have the cash flow to have 10s of thousands of dollars out for weeks at a time. Maybe I can grow to that but I'm comfortable with this arrangement for now.

sheshovel
03-30-2006, 05:31 PM
You need to set up accounts with your suppliers so you can go in and get what you need for the jobs and pay at the beggining of the following month.That way you can do the jobs with no outlay of cash from your pocket and bill your customers or contractors
and then pay your suppliers.That's what I do.I get what I need,I bill my client and get paid..then the supplier bills me and I have the money there to pay them.I get 20% off on my plant materials and 10% off on my mulch,rock and hardscaping materials.

PSUturf
03-30-2006, 11:58 PM
We have 3 subcontractors who get paid the day they submit their bills regardless of when we get paid by the customer. They have worked with us for many years and are highly valued and very trustworthy. All other subs get paid after we get paid by the customer.

gammon landscaping
03-31-2006, 12:00 AM
i do it the same way as sheshovel does i just setup accounts at my places. but i do feel your pain dad does alot of work for some brothers here that build 15-20 homes a year. and they range frome 115k spilt foyers to 500-700k homes . and they are the woulds worst at paying. they have been as far behind as 30 grand before. but what helps is that once you are in the cycle they always owe you 10-15k you kind of get a steady income.which isn't really all that good in the summer when you need the capital but come winter when they are still sending you 6k every month so they can get cought up. now when i do work for them i go to them at the end of job and get paid. i never mail invoices to these guys