PDA

View Full Version : Pallets

newbieponder
03-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Does anyone have any idea where I could find pallets for free or next to nothing? I am in the process of landscaping the yard and would like to build a privacy fence using old pallets. Thanks. :rolleyes:

olderthandirt
03-30-2006, 09:24 AM
Does anyone have any idea where I could find pallets for free or next to nothing? I am in the process of landscaping the yard and would like to build a privacy fence using old pallets. Thanks. :rolleyes:

No idea in your area, but you gotta post some pics when your done with that fence

Green-Pro
03-30-2006, 07:47 PM
No idea in your area, but you gotta post some pics when your done with that fence

LOL! Yes pics are a must

sheshovel
03-30-2006, 07:50 PM
a fence made of old pallets?That should look really really bad.

TURF DOCTOR
03-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Man you must have a open minded hen.

echovalley
03-30-2006, 07:57 PM
Ah the old pallets fence thing :dizzy: thank god you don't live next to me :hammerhead:

YardPro
03-30-2006, 08:15 PM
lol. try the local newspaper.
here they give them away...

but i am thinking UGLY............................

UNISCAPER
03-31-2006, 10:29 AM
I can't help you with the pallets but I do know where you can get a rusted out '56 Cadillac to jack up on blocks right in your front lawn. Paint that baby pink and plant flowers in the engine compartment!

ma5tr
03-31-2006, 06:47 PM
You would be surprised!!!
I dont know how he is planning on finishing it but, I know some high end furniture makers that make projects out of skids. Some of the wood used in skid construction can be highly desirable. Especially when skid are from india, china, europe etc...would that is vastly available in those parts can be quite rare and sought after. Some skids that i've seen here are made out of cherry, mahogany, etc.....

Open your minds!!!!

UNISCAPER
03-31-2006, 08:04 PM
Those places that import wood infested with the Asian long Horned Beetle....We have a whole container load of product in quarantine down at the harbor now becasue the wood is infested.

cedarcroft
03-31-2006, 08:22 PM
I think a pallet fence sounds nice. I also think a boat trailer with plywood sides and a pick up truck cap on it make a great tow behind camper. you guys are snobs. I gotta go eat some moon pies and coke.
;)

lawnsplus
04-02-2006, 02:16 PM
I can't help you with the pallets but I do know where you can get a rusted out '56 Cadillac to jack up on blocks right in your front lawn. Paint that baby pink and plant flowers in the engine compartment!

I am still lmao!

This has got to be the best post I have seen on here to date.

Who builds a fence out of pallets? Just go buy some rough cedar and stick build it.

Yeah that wood can be highly desireable, ground up and died red for that hiteous red mulch that all of the old people er... my clients... around here want..

But Uniscaper that is some funny Shtuff.:laugh:

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
04-02-2006, 09:45 PM
:hammerhead: ....;) .....:laugh: ....:dizzy: ....:laughing: ...:eek: ...I think thats enough on the pallet fence!!

hosejockey2002
04-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Wow, gettin' a little chilly around here. Dude asks a perfectly legit question about pallets for a fence and you guys cut him off at the knees and throw 'im under the bus.:hammerhead: It's not like he asked where he could get some broken concrete to make a retaining wall out of... wait a minute, never mind....:dancing:

Dirty Water
04-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Hehehe:

http://www.lantz.ca/imagesMoosonee/2005April/640mr_palletfenceCRW_5520.jpg

Why stop at a fence, this guy built a shed!

http://summerville-novascotia.com/PalletWoodShed/WoodshedMay2-a.jpg

motoraced
04-03-2006, 09:48 AM
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/images/sawyer69.gif

motoraced
04-03-2006, 09:49 AM
http://www.summerville-novascotia.com/PalletFence/Fence-Aug6-a2.jpg

motoraced
04-03-2006, 09:52 AM
http://www.summerville-novascotia.com/PalletFence/Fence-July30-a7.jpg

newbieponder
04-03-2006, 10:20 AM
I agree with Cedar, you all are a bunch of snobs!!!! I asked a perfectly valid question and most of the comments are BS. I thought this was supposed to be a helpful board to post on? As for the pictures (however cute they were and yes I did get a laugh out of them), you people don't have any idea what the *&$@ the fence is supposed to look like, what my plans are. The fence that I am talking about is a heck of a lot better built than those privacy fencing panels you buy at most home improvement or fencing places (outside of vinyl or metal of course). Open your boring little minds a little and you might actually learn from those out there that have IDEAS and are creative.

sheshovel
04-03-2006, 10:56 AM
Hey now...be nice.Reason I said what I said is because I have seen them..and they are just butt ugly.

6'7 330
04-03-2006, 11:26 AM
A company around the Chicago area ,If I'm not mistaken a warehouse, started grinding up pallets to sell as mulch. A fellow landscaper around here said they were doing a pretty high volume of business.If their Isn't a market eruption for pallet fencing, get a shredder and try starting a mulch business .Either way using pallets, for fencing,or mulch renders no appeal what so ever for me .

neversatisfiedj
04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
Hey I put red mulch at my crib LOL . And leave him alone with his pallet fencing - he is trying to be original/

sheshovel
04-03-2006, 02:40 PM
Well I'll be nice..I have about 10 palletts you can have for free..just come on over and pick um up.K?Your welcome to them.If the dog growls at you..whatever you do don't RUN!

And I'll have to tell you..I have been called alot of names in my life..but NEVER could one mistake me as a snob!!!!!!!!!!!

blakeg314
04-03-2006, 02:49 PM
i think your neigbors would just rather see all the junk in your yard... put some pics up when you done LOL

JT1304
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
Call the local power company. If they are like the ones here, they just give them away.

Good luck!!!

ladibugg
04-04-2006, 12:57 PM
When Henry Ford started mass producing his auto, he had many parts and pieces that were made by local suppliers. He would not take delivery of said parts unless they were in particular sized crates and on particular sized pallets. The sizes Henry dictated for the boxes, crates, and pallets were exactly the size of the bench seats and the wood trim on the cars he was producing. He would only take shipments from suppliers if they made their crates and pallets out of the sizes he needed to build his cars. He did not have to hire carpenters to cut any wood parts, his suppliers were doing it for him. That was one of the ways he kept his cost down. His suppliers were pre-cutting to size the wooden parts for his auto's. Recycling is what we call it today...but a pallet fence? :laugh: Martha what will the neighbors say?

GreenMonster
04-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Pallet fence, lmao. Seriously though, good luck. Try a paver/hardscape supplier or mfg.

If you can't find any pallets, you could always go to the local landfill, and get a load of old tires. Then, dig a trench about 12" deep, and line up the tires in the trench, standing upright. Backfill the trench and paint the exposed tires white. Add some bright red mulch and plastic flowers (plastic flowers are underrated read: no maintenance) and you've got a new landscape!

cedarcroft
04-04-2006, 06:29 PM
I would like to state, for the record, my reply was VERY sarcastic.

Mike33
04-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I can keep an open mind! Buttttttttt,
I hope the guy can make it in the fence business because he will sure as hell not make a landscape designer. My new Pro landscaping vol. 12 Imaging editor couldn't even pull that one off.
Mike

drsogr
04-07-2006, 08:26 AM
I agree with Cedar, you all are a bunch of snobs!!!! I asked a perfectly valid question and most of the comments are BS. I thought this was supposed to be a helpful board to post on? As for the pictures (however cute they were and yes I did get a laugh out of them), you people don't have any idea what the *&$@ the fence is supposed to look like, what my plans are. The fence that I am talking about is a heck of a lot better built than those privacy fencing panels you buy at most home improvement or fencing places (outside of vinyl or metal of course). Open your boring little minds a little and you might actually learn from those out there that have IDEAS and are creative.

LOL...yeah we are a bunch of snobs around here. I know for one we just took the wheels and hitch off of our mobile home...we livin' high class now.

You are more than welcome to stop by my place and pick up the pallets I have in my garage. What is your time worth sir? Most of us run businesses so we don't have time to strap pallets on top of our vans to build a fence. That is why everyone is laughing. This will be a time consuming process that will look like crap. Spend the money and build a real fence. I live in Kansas...I have seen my share of crappy fences built out of poor materials.

Mike33
04-08-2006, 08:44 PM
ive been readind and lol at this for days. Yesterday i went fishing in W.Va. and got a second laugh. i passed a house where a guy must of had 500 pallets stacked in piles 6' tall all around his house. My employee told me he repaired them and hauls them to where ever. You had to see this mess to believe it, they were beside his house, back yard, front yard. and side yard. i thought maybe he was going in the fence business also:dancing:
Mike

drsogr
04-08-2006, 09:44 PM
LOL...you sure he wasn't trying to break into the furniture business?