PDA

View Full Version : Days Like Today

Brendan Smith
03-30-2006, 01:26 PM
the one good thing about my regular job is days like today. i'm normally the service manager, but the body shop manager quit so i'm handling that too. normally this means i'm innundated with paperwork, but today my boss is at the auction so i'm here, but taking the day off. so i decided, i'm bored, i'll make a trimmer rack. now it's lunch time and i'm almost done. i'm sure i'll pay the piper tomorrow with a backlog of paperwork, but it feels so nice today to just say screw it. :usflag: nothing like using the company time for my own benefit!!

John Gamba
03-30-2006, 02:01 PM
the one good thing about my regular job is days like today. i'm normally the service manager, but the body shop manager quit so i'm handling that too. normally this means i'm innundated with paperwork, but today my boss is at the auction so i'm here, but taking the day off. so i decided, i'm bored, i'll make a trimmer rack. now it's lunch time and i'm almost done. i'm sure i'll pay the piper tomorrow with a backlog of paperwork, but it feels so nice today to just say screw it. :usflag: nothing like using the company time for my own benefit!!

You go boy :weightlifter:

dcondon
03-30-2006, 02:17 PM
I know what you mean. i was going to do some more cleanups today but it's the first day it's been in the mid 60's. Enjoying one good day for myself!!!:cool2:

Brendan Smith
03-30-2006, 05:40 PM
just finished my trimmer rack, painted and clear coated (we're real slow today) tomorrow i'll install, and poof, done. total cost in materials, $25.00.
total cost to my regular job - $150.00. the feeling of taking a day off while still getting paid - priceless:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

soloscaper
03-30-2006, 06:32 PM
How's the cub cadet working for you?

vntgrcr
03-31-2006, 05:57 AM
Brendan, I have a different take on this. How would you feel if an employee took advantage of you by doing something like that? You are being paid to do a job, and even though you say you are "slow", there is always something to do, ie, sweep, organize tools/supplies etc. I just try to live by the motto of how would you like it if someone treated you like you are treating them. Just my thoughts as an employer, I would be pretty upset if I read your post. Give it some thought.

Splicer
03-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Brendan, I have a different take on this. How would you feel if an employee took advantage of you by doing something like that? You are being paid to do a job, and even though you say you are "slow", there is always something to do, ie, sweep, organize tools/supplies etc. I just try to live by the motto of how would you like it if someone treated you like you are treating them. Just my thoughts as an employer, I would be pretty upset if I read your post. Give it some thought.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

exmark1
03-31-2006, 09:12 AM

It's people like you doing that that makes it hard for us to find people with good work ethic! I agree not a good way to to treat your boss! If I EVER caught my employees not working or doing something for them self they would be gone! :hammerhead:

Brendan Smith
03-31-2006, 09:34 AM
point well taken, but if you stop and think of all the nights that i have been here until 10-11:00, all the saturdays i've put in, and all the mornings i have been here before 5 am (all without compensation cause i'm salaried) just to get my job(s) done, it would add up to a he** of a lot more than the 5-6 hours i spent loafing yesterday. i appreciate you taking the high road, but after 5 years without a raise, 401k matching contributions stopping, and health ins. increasing to over $1000.00/mo, all i can say is oh well. oh yeah, did i mention that i haven't taken a vacation in 4 years? and a total of 9 sick days in 5 years? honestly sorry if i sound sarcastic, but it is what it is. additionally, when needed, i allow employees to work on their personal vehicles while at work. since most of our benefits were cut out, that is one thing i can to to increase moral and retain employees. i feel like as long as my responsibilities are handled and my job is complete, working on my own stuff while still answering the phones and helping customers is better than "getting sick" or taking off. to each his own.

Brendan Smith
03-31-2006, 09:39 AM
How's the cub cadet working for you?
so far, no major problems. i don't use it full time and wouldn't trust it if i did just because it's a homeowner mower, albiet a good one. have about 150 hrs on it now and am starting to save to hopefully buy an exmark next year. it replaced a p.o.s. troy-built rider that i started with and all i had at the time was $3000 and only about 25 acounts and didn't want to finance another $4000 for personal reasons so it was what i could afford. but like i said, no major problems yet, ask me again around august and we'll see.

Splicer
03-31-2006, 10:01 AM
And I applaude your sense of decency for your fellow employees and I am sure others here (including myself) have conducted personal business on anothers time but the point is we don't come on a public forum bragging about it. Even if nobody knows who we are, these kind of things are best kept unspoken. I say this because regardless that you 'feel' you are deserved this, your 'feelings' mean squat. You knew what your salaried job would entail (or you should have) when you accepted the position. If you are that resentful towards your company you work for I would suggest to looking for something else.:usflag:

Brendan Smith
03-31-2006, 10:39 AM
wasn't intending to brag. and yes, i knew what salary was prior to accepting the job. BUT the salary was for a 43 hour week, not the 56-60 i am usually here. good jobs are hard to come by, especially in this area, which keeps me here. anyway, your point is taken, but i still don't feel bad. incidentally, my boss came back from the auction and saw me finishing, and didn't care. apparently when you are a good employee, they give you some leeway. in summary, he doesn't care, i don't feel bad, no harm, no foul.