PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations on a push mower?

Full throttle lawn care
03-30-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey guys I need to buy a self propelled push mower this weekend and want one that will last under hard daily use. I looked into it a little and the Honda gets high marks but for 500 bucks it better. Are there any other mowers I should be looking at for commercial use? I need something tough not pretty.:weightlifter:

NEPSJay
03-30-2006, 06:04 PM
the honda for 500 bucks is NOT the commercial one for that price unless it is used. new honda commercial mowers are upwards of a G. toro also makes a good mower called the proline.... again, upwards of a G new.

Blade-o-grass
03-30-2006, 06:06 PM
My commercial snapper cost me $900.00. I would recommend it.

Full throttle lawn care
03-30-2006, 07:40 PM
My god you guys must be kidding?:dizzy: My budget is 500 at most. Any mower in that price range that will last?

AviatorTOm
03-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Daily use = commercial = around $1000. I would highly recomend a Toro whatever it be because Toro parts especially compared to Honda are MUCH cheaper in my experiance...I purchased a $1000 toro 21" commercial and it has been an excellent investment...

Have a great day,

J&R Landscaping
03-30-2006, 08:26 PM
I would recomend either a Snapper comercial grade push mower or a toro proline. Both machines are rather costly but they hold up very well. My dealer has a Snapper comercial mower that is self propelled with a bag for $799 +tax. It has a 6 hp kawasaki on it with full pressure lube with oil filter. My dealer says it can go 100-200 hours between changes because of the filter being on there...
I'm not sure about that but it looks like a realy tough dependable machine!

Full throttle lawn care
03-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Can you recommend a web site that does reviews on commercial mowers? Maybe buying a good one now will save me in the long run.

Steppenwolf
03-30-2006, 10:30 PM
Full Throttle,
If you plan on using a "21 alot,don't get one with plastic wheels and aluminum handles..1000 bucks or so is what a good 21 inch mower costs.

ed2hess
03-30-2006, 11:00 PM
You will be just fine with the non-commericial Honda. It is a very good starter mower.

mcwlandscaping
03-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Home Depot Honda will serve you very well, HONESTLY, they are great machines and they do last

lawnmaniac883
03-30-2006, 11:07 PM
He is not just starting out people, look at his sig. Do you have a jd 757 as a starter mower?

I cannot speak from experience on a commercial 21'' mower as I do not currently own one myself. However when I do need to buy one I will be looking at either the toro proline or the jd JX-75.

dtelawncare
03-30-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree, the 500 Honda is 50 times better than most residential mowers. Just take care of it. I bought a 7hp 21" Snapper HI-VAC last fall. I got it for about $710. I have cut few time with it and used it a lot for leaves. It is great. If you can muster up a few hundred more I highly recommend the Snapper. Like I said, go with your budget and the Honda will be a great starter mower.

Dunn's
03-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Now forgive me for saying this because I hate Mtd but they sell A very good and dependable MTD PRo 21"self-propelled push mower with zero turn casters on front with a 6.75hp honda engine for about $350.00-$375.00 you dont always have to spend the most to get a good machine and trust me I hate Mtd because they are buying up a lot of the name brands out there and making them crap. But trust me on this mower you wont be disapointed!

JJLandscapes
03-30-2006, 11:25 PM
i thgink alot of u are nuts spending 1000 on a push mower... i used a 279 lawn boy for one year cutting 25 residentials every week then last year only for a couple backyards with small fences on 60-65 accounts nothing major ever broke... replaced wheels for $6 and the pull cord cause i ate it up with the mower like a jackass

i would 100% recommend buying 3 or 4 lower priced non commercial push mowers( obviously not at once but one at a time) they will almost definately last the same if not longer than the 1000 one. I used the 6-700 commercial grade lawnboys and i hated the thing only good part was the large gas tank... and most residential grade mowers ive seen go up to 7hp... Too many landscapers waste money on unnecessary and over priced equipment and then blame the illegals and taxes on why they arent making enough money
Just my opinion most will disagree but guaranteed there are just many people using "residential grade" mowers on a daily basis with same results

Green-Cuts
03-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi
I have a MTD pro with zero turn casters on the front and then another MTD that I got at costso that I am using and seems to work great. I did not want to go into debt and think that if you take care of the home owner mowers, like changing the oil on a regular basis and keep it tuned up it will be fine.

That is just my opinon though.
BJ

TXLAWNBOY
03-31-2006, 12:50 AM
JJLandscapes,

I agree w/you, I would like to have about 2 to 4 Toro Prolines in my fleet but I just can't convince myslef to pay out that kind of money for a 21" mower that dosen't get used as much as my ZTR or w/b mowers do. I saw a Troy-bilt at Lowes the other day, Honda engine, one lever height adjust, self propelled, 3-in-1, w/easy on/off bagger for around $300. I can buy 3 of these for the price of 1 Toro Proline and I know they will last 2 or 3 years. This just makes more since to me. I'm not saying go cheap on everything, but in this biz you have to figure out how and where to cut cost. If I only did very small yards and only used 21" mowers I may have a different opinion.

Full throttle lawn care
03-31-2006, 01:22 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I found a New Toro 20057 for 589.00 commercial duty spin on oil filter etc. Problem is I need this mower by Tuesday mourning. Any one use a sears craftsman mower?

K&L Landscaping
03-31-2006, 08:21 AM
John Deere JX-75! Excellent mower, VERY DURABLE, easy operation, full commercial grade and cuts very good as well. I think the last 2 I bought they were about $750.00 each.

mrbray101
03-31-2006, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I found a New Toro 20057 for 589.00 commercial duty spin on oil filter etc. Problem is I need this mower by Tuesday mourning. Any one use a sears craftsman mower?
Dont say the C word on here or you will start an uproar!

Splicer
03-31-2006, 08:49 AM
I have never been a real fan of the Craftsman push mowers so I would suggest going with the MTD. SAMs Club has a couple, 1 w/caster wheels and 1 stainless steel deck. Both around $350 I think.

4curbappeal
03-31-2006, 10:37 AM
The John Deere JX 75 is a great mower, but the price is a little salty! I have a JX 75 and the new JS 20. The JS 20 is a pretty good mower for $399. You can pick one up at any JD dealership or Lowes.

rfed32
03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
i use a crafsman 21in sp and it does the job...they guy i worked for never used commercial push mowers....we even picked one out of the trash once the 1st year i started there which was 5years ago....and they still have it...all u have to do is taje care of it

Full throttle lawn care
03-31-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks again guys I'm heading to costco to see what they have to offer. I may even hit a couple pawn shops on the way now I know what I'm looking for. Last night I found a lot of good deals on walk behind mower on Ebay. If your in the market that's a great place to start looking.

PROCUT1
03-31-2006, 08:07 PM
$99 walmart specials here.......3.5 hp briggs no self propel....weigh about 2 pounds and cant kill em....lol

Splicer
03-31-2006, 08:12 PM
Better yet is to get a used original Lawn-Boy. Commercial engines on all of them, get the cast aluminum deck, magnesium would be lighter but cost a bit more and hard to come across. Tough tough tough...mine is 16 years old and still going strong.:clapping:

Itzkcatz
03-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Craftsman. i would never spend 1000 on a push mower thats just to much. so what if the craftsman burns up in 5 years they are only like 200

lawnmaniac883
03-31-2006, 10:49 PM
If you spend 1000 on a commercial mower then expect commercial results. You will get a unit that performs better in each category and one that is built for daily use and abuse. The oil capacity, transmissions and engines on a commercial 21'' mower are all built to last. If you want to change the oil, sharpen the blades and go through all of the other BS stuff involved with running a homeowner mower that is designed to be run 1x / week for 2 years then be my guest. My next 21'' mower will be a commercial machine I will finally be free of the BS maintenance things but hey, its your money spend it wisely.

dougmartin2003
04-01-2006, 10:38 PM
i dont mean to pee in anyone cheerios but i cant see spending $1000 on a dang push mower. i spent $250 on my 21inch push from tractor supply almost 8 years ago. and it got used a lot more then a homeower would ever. still have it and it starts on the 3rd pull evertime.as far as maintaining it,i have change the oil 1 time, sharpened the blades about 4 times and replaced the starter rope. the motor still run great. i still use it on one property i have to mow the ditch line that the other mower cant get to.oh buy the way it is a mtd mower.before i would pay $1000 for a push mower i would buy a good used wb first. just my 2 cents

AviatorTOm
04-01-2006, 11:01 PM
If you spend 1000 on a commercial mower then expect commercial results. You will get a unit that performs better in each category and one that is built for daily use and abuse. The oil capacity, transmissions and engines on a commercial 21'' mower are all built to last. If you want to change the oil, sharpen the blades and go through all of the other BS stuff involved with running a homeowner mower that is designed to be run 1x / week for 2 years then be my guest. My next 21'' mower will be a commercial machine I will finally be free of the BS maintenance things but hey, its your money spend it wisely.

I agree, I have done VERY little maintaining( just regular maintaining per manuals commercial scheduled maintaining procedures) on my 21" Proline Toro and I haven't had any thing break yet due to design. There is also a MAJOR difference to me between the handling of a commercial Toro 21" and residential 21"....everything is smoother and way more solid in performance/handling of the commercial machine...

My 2 cents,

firefightergw
04-02-2006, 01:39 AM
I haven't read through the whole thread but I was strapped for cash last year when I started. I ended up buying a residential 21" Snapper with the Briggs engine. I paid $469 with tax. I ran that mower in the ground last year and was able to add a 36" Cub Cadet Commercial w/b. I am adding another 21" Snapper this weekend but this one will be the Commercial model for $789. The original Snapper is still being used daily and runs like it did when I bought it. If you are on a budget, I would recommend. Great mower!

Itzkcatz
04-02-2006, 04:28 AM
I dunno maybe you guys abuse push mowers, The craftsman mowers ive had always started 1st pull ran great. They all still start up and run fine they just have bent wheels from our turf ranger slamming it on the trailer. Just change the oil keep the blades sharp and dont abuse it and it will be fine. And btw we mow residential accounts at 1000-1200 a pop and they always looked great.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
07-01-2006, 11:46 PM

It works ok. I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use though. I would like a push mower that I could walk fast w/....can't do it w/ the crapsman. Even with a new blade that thing still ain't that hot of a machine.

PMLAWN
07-02-2006, 01:42 AM
A toro Timecutter is 3500 A Z is 9 to 10 K . Everybody and their brother has the Z. WHY --- because it is a commercial mower. And yet here you are stating that you will not spend 400 on a "trim" mower over a homeowner???

The time to go buy another mower every year is not worth the money you "THINK" you are saving. BUY commercial

zak406
07-02-2006, 01:07 PM
My crafstman lasted me for two months and yesterday i blew out the engine. Stay away its a big pos.

PROCUT1
07-02-2006, 02:03 PM
It all depends on the amount of use the mower gets. If you are a 21" lco and use the thing for hours everyday then you should absolutely get a top of the line commercial machine.

We dont really use pushmowers at all. The guys prefer to weedwhack anything thats too small for a 48 to do so the pushmowers just sit in the shop.

When we used to use them it was maybe only once or twice a day per crew for a small area and we used the $99 walmart specials...... Those thing would just run and run and run and if they broke, toss it and get another one.

guven
07-02-2006, 09:57 PM

Two years ago, my buddy gave me 6.5 HP scott home depot mower which he was using almost two years, I have still using the push mower , never had a problem , last year I was cutting 25 lawn every week this year I am cutting 35 lawn with the mower. I think no way to spend more then $500.00 to 21 push mower. keep your money in the bank .( Last year my only mower)
was 21 scott)

J&R Landscaping
07-03-2006, 02:05 PM
My crafstman lasted me for two months and yesterday i blew out the engine. Stay away its a big pos.

Not to support craftsman any, but if the engine died, the engine would be the POS! What kind of engine was it and how many hours did you have it running?

out4now
07-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Persoanlly I like the old commercial Deeres. The JX series. Deere has a habit of being inconsistent with quality though especially in 2 cycle stuff as they change suppliers all the time. Had one blower lasted 5 years, one that lasted 1 year. Spend the extra and get a commerical unit. If you blow that 500 on a Sears mower you'll simply be buying a 1000 dollar mower soon anyway. How many lawn are you really planning to do with it everyday? If it won't be a trim mower I'd spend the money, you won't regret it. For a trim mower I'd say sure go with a cheaper unit but not for day in and day out. High line Toro, Honda, Snapper something along those lines you can get parts for. I disagree on the plastic wheels. Broken several. Go with the better wheels. jmy.02

LawnTamer
07-04-2006, 10:08 PM
Full throttle, not going to read 4 pgs of replies but I will tell you from many years and many mowers, BUY A COMMERCIAL MOWER, In the long run you will save a ton of $$$$$ and a ton of agravation.
My 21" prolines cost me a grand, now they are about $1100. One of them will last 8 times as long as a $3-400 homeowner model.
So either mow for 10 years with a machine you will love for about $100/year or mow with 7 different pieces of crap, constantly needing repairs, and breaking when you need them, all for about $220/yr.
NO Brainer.
Hope this helps
Good luck

DAVEY PROS
07-05-2006, 12:00 AM
Has anyone looked into John Deere's. We have two and they work great-cheaper than $1000. Think they're about $650.

Good luck

PowerEquipmentWarehouse
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
The new Lawnboys might be a decent choice for you. You can get a push model with a cast aluminum deck, and a Briggs I/C engine for around $650. The Toros are also good choices, but start around $1000, and the commercial Hondas are between 625 - 1000. The most important thing you can do, however, is maintain the unit once you purchase it. Most of the problems people have with mowers can be traced to lack of maintenance. Change the oil every 25-30 hours, keep the air filter clean, sharpen the blade, clean under the deck and don't mow over branches, rocks, etc and even the $139 MTD's will last you more than a couple of years.

twwlawn
07-05-2006, 08:40 PM
I have used many brands of mower's and you get what you pay for, plus it depends on how many weekly hours you plan to use a 21" mower. I have been using a 1994 & 2005 Tru-Cut Commercial 5hp (GXV140 Honda) rotary mower for bagging and a Cub Cadet SR621 with a 6hp Kawasaki for mulching only. The SR621 is not commercial, but it has the power for mulching. I use the 21's more this year than in the past and using commercial grade 21" mowers is the best way to go IMO. Good luck finding the right one for your business usage.

lawnmaniac883
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
You can also look at it this way, which one will tire you more after 1 hour of use? The cheap azz MTD mower which has a crappy self propelled drive or the top of the line honda with multiple speeds to suit YOU the operator and not some idiot in a test lab who though turtle pace applies to a lawn mower?

Splicer
07-06-2006, 08:05 PM
My 21" prolines cost me a grand, now they are about $1100. One of them will last 8 times as long as a $3-400 homeowner model.

Well my homeowner Lawn Boy that is 17 years old is still going strong...So your Proline will last 136 years;) :rolleyes: :weightlifter: :laugh: