PDA

View Full Version : dump truck or trailer??

rfed32
03-30-2006, 10:20 PM
ok should i buy a 1986 f350desil dump with 4000miles on the new motor that was rebuilt by my cuz, with a 8ft meyers commerical plow which plowed one season by me so i know its in good workin condis. its got pto dump, 4spd manual trans. new steal dump bed....

or get a 5x8 dump trailer....

i dont know what to do....i like the idea of the dump bc then i dont beat my truck up all the time and all i have is an s10 thats why i am limited to the 5x8 trailer...these are my options...

oldrustycars
03-30-2006, 10:40 PM
i guess i'd like to know what you plan to haul in the dump. you can put 2-3 yards of gravel in the truck, but no way in the trailer, and certainly not pull it with the S10. in fact, the empty dump trailer might tax the towing ability of an S10. im a chevy man, but i think i'd go with the truck. if its a diesel, though, be ready for many nickle and dime...and big money...repairs.

rfed32
03-30-2006, 11:23 PM
yeah well i did put air bags for suspension on the s10 all i would use it for is mulch and leaf clean up....the air bags make a world of a difference....also have cool air intake full dull flow gibson system...but still dont know

the nickel and dime repairs are whats turnin me off

Drafto
03-31-2006, 12:06 AM
Buy the dump truck. The truck can make you money and pay for itself by plowing and hauling materials. You will completely abuse your S10 hauling a dump trailer. Just my .02

Dan

stroker51
03-31-2006, 09:23 PM
I'd buy the dump, esp. since you know about the motor and plow, etc. Those old 6.9 Diesels were really good motors, didnt go anywhere really fast, but had a lot of low end and would run forever. That 5x8 has to have an electric hoist too, and even though you think you will only be hauling mulch and leaves, you may/will find other uses, and I guarantee that you can load that trailer heavier than the hoist will want to pick up. With that pto hoist, it is however much the truck will handle, just run a little higher RPM to dump a heavier load. Just my .02.

murray83
04-01-2006, 08:37 AM
look at how much work you might do,if its not alot..buying a 1 ton dump isn't worth it,the dump trailer you should look into a decent 1/2 ton or a 3/4 ton if yer looking at heavy hauling,the s10 is gas and it would kill you in the wallet not to mention if a loaded trailer would be over yer towing capacity.

FearThisDeere
04-01-2006, 09:27 AM
I'd go with the truck. Is your cousin selling it? Would he be willing to fix it when it breaks?

topsites
04-02-2006, 12:41 AM
yeah well i did put air bags for suspension on the s10 all i would use it for is mulch and leaf clean up....the air bags make a world of a difference....also have cool air intake full dull flow gibson system...but still dont know

the nickel and dime repairs are whats turnin me off

Your S-10's transmission isn't built for this, it's just a car with a bed in back, one step lower than the 1/2 ton but the 1/2 ton is really just a powerful car with a bed on the back as well... Both of these trucks are geared no different from a car, other than maybe it doesn't have over-drive (but a lot of them do, which is even worse).

For dump-trailers, you need at least a 3/4 ton but a full-ton truck would be best.
Then you don't have to mickey-mouse around with the 5x8 because you can get a real dump-trailer (like 6x10 or better)
- Do it right the first time, you'll save yourself from failure.

Itzkcatz
04-02-2006, 03:21 AM
We have a 1987 ford f350 diesal dump also. Its a piece of crap and no matter how many thousands go into it it always breaks and never runs. Look for a mid 80s chevy 3500 dump with a 350 gas engine

Scag48
04-02-2006, 03:44 AM
That S10 would barely pull that dump trailer EMPTY. Buy the Ford and do it right.

qualitylawnmanagement
04-02-2006, 04:31 AM
Go for the dump man!

Lux Lawn
04-02-2006, 11:10 AM
ok should i buy a 1986 f350desil dump with 4000miles on the new motor that was rebuilt by my cuz, with a 8ft meyers commerical plow which plowed one season by me so i know its in good workin condis. its got pto dump, 4spd manual trans. new steal dump bed....

or get a 5x8 dump trailer....

i dont know what to do....i like the idea of the dump bc then i dont beat my truck up all the time and all i have is an s10 thats why i am limited to the 5x8 trailer...these are my options...

I was debating over the same thing all winter long...finally I went with the dump truck I think it is the best choice.

rfed32
04-02-2006, 10:23 PM
ok well desided not to buy the trailer and not to buy the truck...im going to save some money and buy a bigger trailer b.c im gettin a 60in dixie chopper and my trailer wont hold both mowers, so im gonna get a 6'6'' by 12' or a 14'...and then i will save for a used mid 90's chevy 2500 or 3500 and im gonna put a dump in the bed of my bed....thats the plan, i need the trailer b4 the truck b.c i can pull the 12footer with the s10 its not the best but it works and im not really gonna need the truck with the dump again till fall...then i will get a western plow then ill have two trucks on the road in the winter, and next year i will hopefully have two trucks on the road landscapin....
one s10 w/6x10 traler trimmers 36'' and 48'' wb
one 2500 0r 3500 with dump with a 6.5x12 trailer trimmers blower and 60'' and a 36'' mower....so thats the plan

thanks for the help everyone....

stroker51
04-03-2006, 10:22 PM
If you dont want the dump, where are you at and how much for it? PM me the details, I might be, or know of someone interested.

NEUSWEDE
04-04-2006, 01:41 PM
ok well desided not to buy the trailer and not to buy the truck...im going to save some money and buy a bigger trailer b.c im gettin a 60in dixie chopper and my trailer wont hold both mowers, so im gonna get a 6'6'' by 12' or a 14'...and then i will save for a used mid 90's chevy 2500 or 3500 and im gonna put a dump in the bed of my bed....thats the plan, i need the trailer b4 the truck b.c i can pull the 12footer with the s10 its not the best but it works and im not really gonna need the truck with the dump again till fall...then i will get a western plow then ill have two trucks on the road in the winter, and next year i will hopefully have two trucks on the road landscapin....
one s10 w/6x10 traler trimmers 36'' and 48'' wb
one 2500 0r 3500 with dump with a 6.5x12 trailer trimmers blower and 60'' and a 36'' mower....so thats the plan

thanks for the help everyone....

Why not get a small business loan or personal loan? The rates (atleast around me) are pretty good and about to go up. Then you have the right equipment for the job and can always pay it off down the road at the point where you would had had the cash to buy it. Also this might allow you to get something better allowing you to pay it off over time.

J&R Landscaping
04-04-2006, 02:03 PM
rfed32,
Is your cousin still selling the truck? If he is, how much does he want for it? I have been looking for 1 and I am about 20 minutes or so from hatboro. Shoot me a PM if you have anymore info.
Thanks