PDA

View Full Version : Putting in a mailbox for a customer

jt5019
03-31-2006, 09:28 AM
One of my accounts recently came to me asking if i can put his new mailbox in the ground for him. He had surgery last year and cant really do much digging.

He is going out and getting the mailbox and cement himself all i have to do is take the old one out and put the new one in. He lives 4 houses away so there is no drive time.

How much would you charge for this?

I dont expect it would take very long to do, but i dont want to over charge seeing that he is my neighbor.

Splicer
03-31-2006, 09:30 AM
Charge 1 hour...

jt5019
03-31-2006, 10:26 AM
pretty much what i expected to do just wanted to see others opinions

one man gang
03-31-2006, 10:27 AM
One of my accounts recently came to me asking if i can put his new mailbox in the ground for him. He had surgery last year and cant really do much digging.

He is going out and getting the mailbox and cement himself all i have to do is take the old one out and put the new one in. He lives 4 houses away so there is no drive time.

How much would you charge for this?

I dont expect it would take very long to do, but i dont want to over charge seeing that he is my neighbor.

I'll probably get nailed to the cross for this but if he's a good customer and neighbor I'd do it for free. It'll take less than a half hour and the guy will be eternally grateful

Thirdpete
03-31-2006, 10:32 AM
yea, he's your neighbor. you don't barbecue together, talk while you're watering your lawn, discuss politics over the fence, anything? it can't be all business with him.

rfed32
03-31-2006, 11:59 AM
yeah im with one man, if hes a good neigbor do it for free...what will it take 30mins if that

firecapt13
03-31-2006, 03:16 PM
i agree to do it for free. neighbors are important and it could lead to more business. i grew up in a neighborhood as a kid and the neighbors were always helping with each others projects.

Splicer
03-31-2006, 03:58 PM
Guys, he said the guy is already a paying customer:

"One of my accounts recently came to me asking if i can put his new mailbox in the ground for him."

jt5019
03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
Just a little info

Yes he is my neighbor and yeah we do just chat once in a while.Hes a real nice guy.

He approached me at about the beginning of last summer after he got sick requesting i mow his lawn and plow his driveway in the winter. He made it clear he wanted an actual company to do it that will send him bills not just any old person with lawn mowers. (I dont have the need to advertise much so he didnt know if i was looking for more work) So i made him up a contract and even though he is my neighbor he gets billed like everyone else. He actually told me "i hope you like my lawn cause im gonna have you mowing it until i die"

Ive been taking care of his property since then hes always pays on time and if hes gonna go away he will pay me ahead of time.

He asked me if i could put in the mailbox for him and i said sure its a piece of cake. He said "ill go buy it and let you know when i have it" and that was that. He also has some reseeding work for me in the future where a dead tree created a low spot in his lawn.

dcondon
03-31-2006, 04:52 PM
If he's unable to do it himself I would do it for free.

jt5019
03-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Well hes going to New York tomorrow to run in some marathon so im sure he could :dancing: I just dont think he wants to be bothered with yard work anymore. If it goes really quick (this area can be very rocky) Ill tell him its on the house. Either way i wasnt gonna charge him a lot seeing he is my neighbor and he always has some work for me.

Carolina Cuts
03-31-2006, 06:00 PM
Throw him a bone...

one man gang
03-31-2006, 06:04 PM
Well hes going to New York tomorrow to run in some marathon so im sure he could :dancing: I just dont think he wants to be bothered with yard work anymore. If it goes really quick (this area can be very rocky) Ill tell him its on the house. Either way i wasnt gonna charge him a lot seeing he is my neighbor and he always has some work for me.

Yeah, if it turns out to be b*tch hit him up for some $

General Landscaping
03-31-2006, 06:32 PM
Given your situation... I'd tell him we could settle the bill over some backyard steaks(porterhouse) and a 12 pack.

biggin69
03-31-2006, 08:14 PM
Do it for free man...to those that say charge him....get real! Where is your respect for the elderly. He already pays you for his lawn.

Splicer
03-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Do it for free man...to those that say charge him....get real! Where is your respect for the elderly. He already pays you for his lawn.
Having respect for the elderly has nothing to do with R/Ring a mail box. If the postman is not happy with the install and refuses to deliver the mail (yes the carriers DO have that option) who do you think they will point a finger at? Thats right then you have to go and tear it all out and redo it again for free and this time most likely have to pay for materials to boot. Take it from a guy who has replaced many mailboxes. :hammerhead:

Charge the guy 1 hour and he is still WAAAAAY ahead of getting a mailbox company out to replace it. It will keep the relationship healthy as neither will feel they are in debt to the other.

jt5019
03-31-2006, 10:13 PM
After thinking about it a little bit ..i think it might be a good idea to atleast charge something. I dont want him to start thinking just because he is a neighbor he can get freebies all the time. Ive seen it before you do one favor then next thing you know they are asking for another one then another one...

hosejockey2002
04-01-2006, 12:18 AM
Another thing to consider is that many older folks have a lot of pride and may feel offended if you just offer to do it for free. He may feel as though he is accepting charity. Just charge him a nominal amount and do a good job.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 01:37 AM
$25.00 is good

dutchman
04-01-2006, 06:00 AM
Why talking about a few Dollars put it in and forget about it.......

grasswhacker
04-01-2006, 06:08 AM
I did this 2 years ago for a good client. I bought all the materials and installed. The bill was 395.00 and it is still the best looking mail box on the street to this day. Made about 175.00 profit for easy work. Then I took the old mail box (still in good shape) post and all and put it up at my house! lol

Here is the kind that was put up:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=153071-000001622-ES300B00&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=153075-000001622-ES15B000&lpage=none