PDA

View Full Version : Where do I get Gator Mulching blades?

Freddy_Kruger
04-01-2006, 12:51 AM
I cant find a good place to order and the one that I did had so many options, literally hundreds, that I couldnt make sense of it.

I want it for a toro 21" not exactly sure which model yet because I havent bought it yet.

Im in central canada.

B&D Lawn Care
04-01-2006, 01:03 AM
I have had lots of luck on ebay, but am not quite sure bout that size.

Dweezil
04-01-2006, 01:10 AM
I can get them for you if you need. If you can't find the model number, just take the old blade off and measure the tip-to-tip length diagnoly and the size of the center holes.

Freddy_Kruger
04-01-2006, 02:15 AM
I can get them for you if you need. If you can't find the model number, just take the old blade off and measure the tip-to-tip length diagnoly and the size of the center holes.
I take it I can't just order them online?

If not I'm just gonna see if the dealer I am going to use will order them for me. I wanted to cut out the middle man. I did see a Gator clone at home depot but I want the real thing.

topsites
04-01-2006, 02:19 AM
I take it I can't just order them online?

If not I'm just gonna see if the dealer I am going to use will order them for me. I wanted to cut out the middle man. I did see a Gator clone at home depot but I want the real thing.

With blades, I don't recommend cutting out your dealer. Their prices are ok on that, you have to go through your dealer when your stuff needs fixing, so patronize them a bit in other ways.

Freddy_Kruger
04-01-2006, 02:34 AM
With blades, I don't recommend cutting out your dealer. Their prices are ok on that, you have to go through your dealer when your stuff needs fixing, so patronize them a bit in other ways.
They are a family owned business for something like 55 years, they don't know I'm going to be buying from them yet. I walked through there a couple times, handy location... I'm gonna get a deal.

When I mentioned to them about Double blade stacking they didn't know what I was talking about then when I mentioned Gators I think they said they could order them at least I think they said they could. I might be the first person around here to double blade up a mower, not quite sure how that's going to work just yet..

I just want to over kill on the mulching because I'm not too sure how feasible it really is despite the talk on this forum. I'm going to buy Toro Proline, nice sharp blades, insist that mulching is the way to go (like I know what I'm talking about) then just go for it. If mulching doesn't work I'll have to adjust my prices.

http://www.elmlawnsite.com/double2.jpg

Runner
04-01-2006, 04:57 AM
I'm not so sure you're going to want to run doubles on a 21". That seems like it would be a substantial sacrifice on horsepower and bladespeed.. I COULD be wrong, though. Maybe do a search and see if anyone else has done it and had good results or not.

Roger
04-01-2006, 07:32 AM
Runner is right -- doubles were too much for my ProLine 5.5hp Sizuki. Maybe "too much" is not quite the right characterization, but the value was minimal. I felt the benefit was not enough to justify jeaprodizing the machine.

I have never seen Gator blades for a Toro. The only thing I have seen for Toro is the Atomic blade. When scanning catalogs, I find Gator blades for many, many machines (I use them on my Exmark), but never Toro. Rather, a separate page is at the back of the blade list that shows the Atomic blades, just for Toro.

Some experiences ... for turf grass.

I bought an Atomic blade for my Toro Proline. It isn't worth the shipping costs. The teeth are small, not very effective. However, the biggest problem is the dychotomy between mulching action under the deck and blade lift. The Atomic blade is an attempt to provide mulching action, at the huge expense of lift. Apparently, their designers learned the lift has to be minimal so that debris does fall out from under the deck, not just continue to get caught up at the top of the deck.

I have a Snapper 21" and have a Snapper Ninja blade. It is a terrible combination -- lifting the debris, holding it to the extreme under the deck, not feeding enough out as you move the mower across the lawn.

Clearly, there is a balance between how much lift, high lift holding too much debris, and how much mulching action has to happen for the blade to be effective. When the lift is low, the cutting quality suffers. My Atomic blade does not mulch any better than the OEM blade, and does an unacceptable quality of mowing. It leaves an uneven cut, with plenty of stringers.

Now, to leaves ...

This is a different story. The Atomic blade works pretty well, but not much better than a OEM blade. The Snapper with the Ninja blade (the combo that works so poorly in turf grasses) is a great combo for leaves. The leaves will feed and blow out from under the deck, whereas green grass will not.

On a related topic, one that has been discussed numerous times in the past ... These are my experiences and opinions, I know others will disagree.

The OEM blade on the Toro is a "middle of the road" blade. It does a marginal job of mulching. I rarely use it for mulching grass. And, the OEM blade does a marginal job of bagging. I use my Toro primarily for bagging. I've talked about the Atomic blade being a low lift (BTW, it will NOT bag any grass, further proof of the low lift), OK for mulching, but poor quality of cut. On the other extreme, a high-lift blade is available for the ToroProline that does a much better job of bagging and does a great job of mowing quality. Do a search on the topic and you can find the blade part number. This blade will never work for mulching -- too much lift keeps debris under the deck. Despite a very short sharpened edge, the quality of cut is excellent.

To summarize (for turf grass):
Atomic blade: low lift, poor mowing quality, marginal mulching
OEM blade: moderate lift, marginal mulching, adequate mowing quality, marginal bagging
Hi-lift blade: high lift, impossible to mulch with, excellect mowing quality, best for bagging.

Freddy_Kruger
04-01-2006, 01:20 PM
What's all this marginal mulching business?

Just Mow it uses 21" toro proline mulchers what do you think they got for blades? I want to do an excellent mulching job sometimes the grass gets real thick around here as well I think the prolines i'm looking at have 6.5 kawasakis.

I want a toro mulching blade if I can't get gator, how about modding the OEM blade? sharpen it much further along the blade or how about two oem blades?

Runner
04-01-2006, 01:51 PM
Oh, if THATS what you want it for, it's a whole different story. I was thinking you wanted it for cleaning up leaves and stuff that were left over. The mulchers that JustMowit probably uses are probably a standard mulching blade designed for entire mulching set ups (closed chamber). These blades are desined differently in that not only the obvious; they have different levels of cutting bevel for the blade, but the airflow of the blade is desiggned differently, also. On a standard blade, the way the lift works, is that it lifts the blade right up and quickly disperses to the outside of the blade travel so that it can be released out the chute (whether it be fron or rear). With a true mulching blade, the grass is not blown all to the outside as hard like that, so that it can be dispered more evenly DOWNWARD and back into the soil after it get cut a few times. It is not just a vaccum that sticks the grass to the top of the mower. If you ever ran a mulching type more (that is properly closed off) with a standard blade, you would find that these blades do not work as well as the mulchers on this type of setup. I hope this helps.

Roger
04-01-2006, 02:04 PM
The mulching issue has been hashed, hashed, and rehashed on LS. For some areas, mulching apparently works well. For other areas (like mine) mulching the clippings does not work very well, especially in the Spring when growth is heaviest and we want to get rid of the clippings in the easiest way. For my best lawns, a weekly mow in norm. When I show up every seven days, I mow what is there. The growth is often such that the mower will "tap out" after the first 20 feet, the debris so badly packed under the deck. TKhe horsepower sitting on the deck is of no matter. Further, the quality of the job makes me look worse than a homeowner job. Rarely do I see an LCO doing mulching of clippings in this area. Every handmower I see on trailers have bags and rarely do I see a ZTR or w/b with a mulching kit. I know a solo LCO with two ZTRs on his trailer, one with a bagging kit, the other set up for discharge.

My point is that you cannot take what practices work in another part of the country (or world) and transport them to your area. These discussions on LS are lengthy and heated, and never reach a consensus. Often contributors to the threads are unwilling to realize differences exist from area to area.

Mulching may work for you, maybe not. If it works, great. If it does not because of the kind of turf, the growth rates, etc, then you either do discharge or bagging. I believe there are only three choices for cliippings: mulching, discharge, or bagging.

I do not wish to shorten the mowing cycle, rather keep customers on seven days. Doing otherwise makes routes difficult (many of my properties are in the same neighborhoods, often connected), and it makes for an overload of mowings in one part of the season, or a sparse schedule another part of the season. I would rather have the same cycle for the entire season. I want to mow the same number of properties each week in April and May as I do in July and August. Others on LS have said they want to mulch clippings at any time and shorten the mowing cycle to four days during heavy growth periods -- I choose not to take that stragegy.

Freddy_Kruger
04-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Oh, if THATS what you want it for, it's a whole different story. I was thinking you wanted it for cleaning up leaves and stuff that were left over. The mulchers that JustMowit probably uses are probably a standard mulching blade designed for entire mulching set ups (closed chamber). These blades are desined differently in that not only the obvious; they have different levels of cutting bevel for the blade, but the airflow of the blade is desiggned differently, also. On a standard blade, the way the lift works, is that it lifts the blade right up and quickly disperses to the outside of the blade travel so that it can be released out the chute (whether it be fron or rear). With a true mulching blade, the grass is not blown all to the outside as hard like that, so that it can be dispered more evenly DOWNWARD and back into the soil after it get cut a few times. It is not just a vaccum that sticks the grass to the top of the mower. If you ever ran a mulching type more (that is properly closed off) with a standard blade, you would find that these blades do not work as well as the mulchers on this type of setup. I hope this helps.
Still a bit foggy, I'm assuming that 21" toros will be sold with a standard blade which I would also want I suppose, but how would I go about insuring that I also get a "REAL" mulching blade?
I ask this only because when I was talking to the sales rep about mulching (I Don't think a lot of ppl here do mulching) I think he said its a great mulcher. He kind of deflected the question because it looked like a standard blade to me. I suppose he was thinking (or didn't know any better) that all you have to do is close the chute and its a mulcher. I want to have confidence that I can mulch so I can offer the best price I can knowing that mulching is faster. But I can't have clumps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/Mulchontop.jpg

dcondon
04-01-2006, 04:41 PM
check out www.jthomas.com

Freddy_Kruger
04-01-2006, 06:41 PM
check out www.jthomas.com
???? useless link.