PDA

View Full Version : Quick Books question

KyTurf
04-01-2006, 12:32 AM
I have a question about quick books use on two different computers? How can I do work at my home computer and save the work and put on my office computer. Will I need 2 sets of quickbooks or can I just buy 1 program to do this. Any help on this I know some are doing this with their laptops.

Runner
04-01-2006, 05:43 AM
Yes. You will be able to install it and save it on both computers. You will NOT be able to make actual entries from both computers, though. You can only make changes and entries from the one computer. In order to change things and/or make entries from a different computer, you need anoth QB program. This is a great questionand some of the networking companies will be able to help you here. I'm sure there is information on this on their website, too. They have a QB Pro version that is available (for a bit higher cost) that is available for this, and it works with up to 6 computers, I believe.

mtdman
04-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Just save your company to a storage media, a disk or flash drive, then restore that company in quick books on whichever computer you are on. If you're working at home, save that company to a flash drive and take that drive to work with you. When you open qb at work, restore the company on the flash drive to the work version of qb. Problem is remembering to save the company each time you make changes, no matter where you are.

Or, just get a laptop and take it back and forth to work and home with you.

kozmo
04-01-2006, 05:16 PM
I use to bring back and forth with a lap top. Now my computer guy turned me on to logmein.com it is free and allows you acess to your whole computer anywhere there is Internet best thing thing i have found and gives me all the freedom i want. we use quikbooks as well as rainbird-pro try it out you will love let me know how you like it.

jsf343
04-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Yes. You will be able to install it and save it on both computers. You will NOT be able to make actual entries from both computers, though. You can only make changes and entries from the one computer. In order to change things and/or make entries from a different computer, you need anoth QB program. This is a great questionand some of the networking companies will be able to help you here. I'm sure there is information on this on their website, too. They have a QB Pro version that is available (for a bit higher cost) that is available for this, and it works with up to 6 computers, I believe.

Are you kidding?! we just started using qb pro, I had no idea you couldnt make entries from both computers! what other "program" do you need to have? are you talking another qb program or something that works with qb?
what version do you have? (and year?) Something else I found out this year is the free payroll no longer exsists. You have to pay a fee to run your own payroll.:dizzy: oh well.

Lawnmasters
04-02-2006, 04:48 PM
I just purchased Qbooks pro, and Qclip2006. I asked the people at quickbooks (intuit) if I could install it at home and at my office to work in both places, and was told you are allowed to install it in two computers, either a laptop and a desktop, or two of either. The manual that comes with quickbooks also explains this. I just installed it on my computer at home.

grass-scapes
04-02-2006, 08:50 PM
I have qb installed on both my laptop and desktop. I store my file on a 1GB compact flash card. As long as I "close company" on one computer and open company on the other, I have absolutely no problems. I just started using qxpress, and their licensing does not allow it, but I can purchase a second license for only a few hundred more, or get their pocket pc version for 195 a year.

Runner
04-02-2006, 10:00 PM
There's the answer right there. If you are the only usewr for instance, or if you only have one computer open to it at a time, you are ok. THAT is the difference. These other gys clarified much more (and better) than what I did. Also, I'm sorry for the confusion.

jsf343
04-03-2006, 01:21 AM
I just purchased Qbooks pro, and Qclip2006. I asked the people at quickbooks (intuit) if I could install it at home and at my office to work in both places, and was told you are allowed to install it in two computers, either a laptop and a desktop, or two of either. The manual that comes with quickbooks also explains this. I just installed it on my computer at home.

Ok, that makes me feel a little better. Next question, what is Qclip2006?
just curious. I can say the set up for qb is a headache. From what I have seen on other posts though it gets better after everything is in place. We had to bill with the old program (groundskeeper pro) the first month because there was still some bugs to work out.

grass-scapes
04-03-2006, 07:51 AM
you don't want qclip, many people hate it. I did a side by side comparison and got comments and such and went with qxpress from Alocet. You may still decide to use qclip. They are both scheduling programs that link to quickbooks.

mtdman
04-03-2006, 12:15 PM
There's the answer right there. If you are the only usewr for instance, or if you only have one computer open to it at a time, you are ok. THAT is the difference. These other gys clarified much more (and better) than what I did. Also, I'm sorry for the confusion.

As long as you're the only user shuffling it from computer to computer should be fine. If there are more than one users on multiple computers, then you got me how to do it.

EPIC
04-06-2006, 07:58 PM
You Can Get Quickbooks On Line That What I Got And I Can Get On It From Anywhere And So Can My Wife And My Account All At The Same Time