PDA

View Full Version : is it bad if i dont have a plan

smarino21
04-01-2006, 02:08 AM
i took landscape classes but i didnt learn a full perfect landscape design i was wondering what do i do if i get a good customer that wants like a nice job 20k or more . do u ask for money before?

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 02:11 AM
Yep get 1/2 up front and use it for your materials..or just get material $$ up front and labor when you complete the work and come through.I woulden't worry about something that has not happened yet though..you'll be a nervous wreck!!

Dreams To Designs
04-01-2006, 07:45 AM
If you get a client that needs a landscape design, and you feel that it is not something you should do, when in doubt, sub it out! There are plenty of independent landscape designers that can help you out. Maybe some of your classmates are better at design than installations, or your instructors can recommend someone. You should start with a plan and the job will be better and easier.

Once you get a signed contract and have figured out your costs and profit, get a deposit. As She Shovel stated, get at least the amount to cover your material, more if you are comfortable.

Kirk

smarino21
04-01-2006, 12:23 PM
whats first?

go to there home look at everything see what they want ect.

then you gotta make a design before they sign a contract right so in order to get the design?

i dont know the best way to go aboout it ?

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Yes well first I would recommend you working for a landscape contractor awhile and do some self teaching by reading books before you jump into the jobs on your own.There are many many conciderations to take into account and each job is different.The usual way is you meet with the potential clients..find out what they want done..ask them questions about what they like and dislike..walk the site.think about where the water is gonna go when it rains..check the soil structure take measurements,take pics of the site and go home and work on your plan and estimate.The estimate is usually free but the plan is charged for unless you get the job..then it is added to the total price but the plan stays with you untell they sign.It's impossible to explain the waay we do things completely to you.You need more education and hands on than we can give you here.