PDA

View Full Version : newcomer

texas
04-01-2006, 07:28 AM
my nephew loves working for me in the summer(14 years old). this year he decided to start up his own. he would probably even do it for free but he wants to make a little money. he lives in a neighborhood w/ about 13 12000 sq ft lawns and about 10 20000 sq ft lawns. he wants to mow $6 for the small ones and $10 for the big ones. he also wants to do a little mulching. he knows about half of these people and they are very friendly. he is wondering if he should give it a go during summer vacation.(9 mows)

thanks, trey(thats my nephew:laugh: not me)

Adam3669
04-01-2006, 08:26 AM
is he joking....

texas
04-01-2006, 08:31 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

texas
04-01-2006, 08:58 AM
what do you mean?

beautifullawns
04-01-2006, 10:30 AM
You have to cut for more than that!

texas
04-01-2006, 11:44 AM
loves working(14 years old). he would probably even do it for free but he wants to make a little money.

this is why you should be in the business, you love doing it. now dont go out and lowball like h*ll but if you dont like it, drop it.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 12:00 PM
Tell Trey that it's great that he wants to work and get out there and do something on his own.But he does need to charge more for his services.And he should or you should carry some insurance on him and he should have a licence to conduct business in his county.I suggest starting mowing the small ones at 17.00 to 20.00 and the big ones(not sure how big is big to him) ay 25.00 to 35.00 depending.See you won't get many responses here because guys that do this to feed their familys get hurt by kids that have no overhead,insurance costs or living expenses
doing lawns so cheap.So if your gonna do it.Try not to lowball aand do it for a decient price.OK..good luck on your endevour Trey,and be very carefull out there in that Texas sun this summer.And welcome to the site Texas
!Sheshovel( man am I gonna get slammed for this!

FinerCutslawnCare
04-01-2006, 12:05 PM
$6 a lawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :confused: :confused: That is insane, tell him if he wants to make alittle money start raising his prices alittle!

texas
04-01-2006, 01:14 PM
now he wants to include a letter with his flyer about his "company". what are some advantages of his company over a real one? he wants to compare his to a large business.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 01:44 PM
Well one is legality..he can't have a company tell he's 18 years old.His advantages are the fact that he lives at home,pays no bills,and has no operating costs.He has no truck or trailer or equipment payment and no insurance or licencing fees to pay,so all his money goes in hjis pocket rather than a regular company who has all these costs to run and to try and make a living.And sorry about the Texas sun comment..diden't think you were in Louisiana!

Adam3669
04-01-2006, 06:53 PM
in the flyer, put somthing about how he provides "the kind of personal service not available through large commercial company's" or somthing like that. (after he raises his prices!"