PDA

View Full Version : Tree stake drivers? Other than human powered.

Green Pastures
04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Doing a job we're doing right that includes installing 78 trees.

We are 6" below average rainfall for this year already. Needless to say the soil is like a rock around here.

We've been putting 3 stakes per tree as required by the job's contract.

It's killing my manhours as it's taking AT LEAST 20 minutes to drive three stakes, I considered half of that.....

Is there something like a gas powered stake driver or maybe an attatchment for a Cat 257B that drives stakes with hydraulic power?

Az Gardener
04-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I have seen the temporary fence companies use a pneumatic one to drive in the metal stakes. I think it may destroy a wood stake though. I would be curious my self, we are doing a re-stake job with 111 trees removing the transport stakes and double staking them. But I told the guy it was a T&M job so I'm not sweating it so much.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 01:11 PM
You could try a small auger bit on a drill to get the holes going and then use a fence post driver to ram them in.Trees don't need three stakes,two is plenty if propely placed.

Green Pastures
04-01-2006, 03:20 PM
You could try a small auger bit on a drill to get the holes going and then use a fence post driver to ram them in.Trees don't need three stakes,two is plenty if propely placed.

Have you seen how big these trees are?

Besides the contract calls for 3 stakes if you read my post you'd know that....:)

Also already tried the auger...pre-drill.....doesn't help much at all. Thanks for that suggestion though.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Can you GUY them instead of staking them?Try to clause the contract to allow you to do so?

AGLA
04-01-2006, 09:38 PM
I know you are looking for something other han man power, but are you using a regular hammer or a slide hammer?

Grn Mtn
04-02-2006, 10:54 AM
I'm curious, how was it that the gas powered rotory hammer drill didn't help?

Squizzy246B
04-02-2006, 11:43 AM
Use a star post driver, (dropper). A piece of heavy pipe with handles on side and one end welded closed. Place it over post and hoist up and drop...much easier than a hammer:

Pic here on right:

http://www.onesteel.com/products.asp?action=showProduct&productID=126&categoryName=

Easy to make

Squizzy246B
04-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Use a star post driver, (dropper). A piece of heavy pipe with handles on side and one end welded closed. Place it over post and hoist up and drop...much easier than a hammer:

Pic here on right:

http://www.onesteel.com/products.asp?action=showProduct&productID=126&categoryName=

Easy to make

But still human powered......When we drive posts for temporary/site safety/security chainlink fence I just get in the Kubota and drops the bucket on the Gal pipe...either drives em in or bends em like a toothpick:rolleyes:

2 clowns mowing
04-02-2006, 12:23 PM
check out this powered shovel that also drives tree stakes. at www.dynadiggr.com

sheshovel
04-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Now I gotta have one of those things.

Critical Care
04-02-2006, 04:07 PM
Those are probably quite handy when you can't get larger equipment in to do the job.

Travel'n Trees
04-02-2006, 11:00 PM
use your loader, and pallet forks, there is a driver for the pallet forks.

AintNoFun
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
gas powered drill with like decent sized bite to get them started...

Green Pastures
04-03-2006, 03:35 PM
Can you GUY them instead of staking them?Try to clause the contract to allow you to do so?

No contract calls for 3 stakes and chain lock for all trees on site. City to inspect before granting certificate of occupancy....yeah I know.....

Green Pastures
04-03-2006, 03:41 PM

This is what I'm currently using.

Green Pastures
04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
use your loader, and pallet forks, there is a driver for the pallet forks.

Care to elaborate?

Where can I see/get this driver for my pallet forks?