PDA

View Full Version : Demolition Derby

PurpHaze
04-01-2006, 10:53 AM
New problem at newer high school turned up this week. Main line leak under concrete and no way to isolate it because isolation valves were left out of looped system. Backflow had to be shut down which kills all irrigation to entire site.

Picture #1: This is where water came gushing out but the leak is up under the concrete. But how far?

Picture #2: Demolition starts. Leo and Hogie checking out the rebar in the concrete.

Picture #3: Leo guiding Hogie into place.

Picture #4: Different angle of Leo guiding Hogie into place.

Picture #5: Danny cutting out rebar so I can dig a pot hole and see what the problem is.

PurpHaze
04-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Picture #6: Leak still further back up under the concrete.

Picture #7: Two 1" lines feeding a 1-1/2" line. Contractor notorious for this crap.

Picture #8: Connection to 1-1/2" line.

Picture #9: 2" line blown out.

Picture #10: Closeup of blowout.

Concrete will have to be saw cut on Monday so we can demo back further in order to make the repairs.

Wet_Boots
04-01-2006, 11:23 AM
It could always get worse.

sheshovel
04-01-2006, 01:27 PM
I'd say that blew out because of improper glueing.

koster_irrigation
04-01-2006, 05:46 PM
in pic #9, was that black pipe a swing joint to a head??

I swear, id like to hang out with you guys for a week to see some fun repairs. (not that i dont see my share lol)

Looks like the pipes were installed then someone came back later on and had to move some things,
that doesnt look good having elbows and crap under the middle of a concrete slab, not in a sleeve
either....

Critical Care
04-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm with Sheshovel. Kinda looks like someone missed the primer, or maybe didn't let things set up long enough.

Next time Hayesy ol' boy drive a screw down through the fitting and the pipe to hold your joints together!

Dirty Water
04-01-2006, 10:29 PM
This kids, is why sleeves are so important.

YardPro
04-02-2006, 08:05 AM
haze-

you guys sure have a lot of problems with your irrigation, etc....

who installs this sutff?

at least it is job security...

and i am with dirty water..... Sleeves, sleeves and more sleeves

PurpHaze
04-03-2006, 08:14 AM
in pic #9, was that black pipe a swing joint to a head??

Yes... it's a Marlex on an abandoned swing joint. The area where the isolation valve is used to be grass until about 1-1/2 years ago. A new building was constructed and this area became sidewalk.

I swear, id like to hang out with you guys for a week to see some fun repairs. (not that i dont see my share lol)

It'd be cool but after a week they tend to blend into each other. :laugh:

Looks like the pipes were installed then someone came back later on and had to move some things, that doesnt look good having elbows and crap under the middle of a concrete slab, not in a sleeve either....

No sleeves at all on this site so I'm sure there will be even more problems.

PurpHaze
04-03-2006, 08:16 AM
I'm with Sheshovel. Kinda looks like someone missed the primer, or maybe didn't let things set up long enough.

Definitely glue joint failure. I'll know more when I can get to it and cut it out.

Next time Hayesy ol' boy drive a screw down through the fitting and the pipe to hold your joints together!

Not mine... famous local contractor. :dizzy:

Critical Care
04-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Definitely glue joint failure. I'll know more when I can get to it and cut it out... Not mine... famous local contractor.

Just kidding. You did say it was a contractor in a previous post. But what the hey, we all knew it wasn't your work... Did we see any duct tape in the pictures?:D

PurpHaze
04-04-2006, 08:08 AM
Just kidding. You did say it was a contractor in a previous post. But what the hey, we all knew it wasn't your work... Did we see any duct tape in the pictures?:D

Don't know about the duct tape yet. Haven't been able to get any further because of too much rain. Maintenance guys need to saw cut and they don't like working in the rain. :laugh:

Brings up a problem though. This school was built without any exterior hose bibbs or Zurn-type spigots because one administrator deemed them to be "ugly." With the irrigation being totally off any QCVs on the system are also dead. In order to saw cut concrete you need a water source. Wonder where they're going to get it? :dizzy:

Dirty Water
04-04-2006, 10:36 AM
Don't know about the duct tape yet. Haven't been able to get any further because of too much rain. Maintenance guys need to saw cut and they don't like working in the rain. :laugh:

Brings up a problem though. This school was built without any exterior hose bibbs or Zurn-type spigots because one administrator deemed them to be "ugly." With the irrigation being totally off any QCVs on the system are also dead. In order to saw cut concrete you need a water source. Wonder where they're going to get it? :dizzy:

Pump truck.

Heh :D

PurpHaze
04-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I actually located a hose bibb on the nearest building about 150' away. It escaped de-bibbing because it's a county building that they paid for. Now the rain just needs to go away. :)

Critical Care
04-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Trying to find a hose bib...

That brought up memories of when I used to go on tour doing sound and lighting work. To set up all the equipment I had to find five or so different 20 amp circuits. You'd be surprised at how hard that can be in some places, especially in older buildings where 15 amp fused circuits are common.

I remember one concert at Belhaven College in Mississippi where I got my five circuits, but then during the "burn in" stage where everything was powered up suddenly all the circuits went dead.

"Oh my garsh!" I had less than 30 minutes and I was flabbergasted. All the breakers were on... well... except for one 20 amp circuit off by itself. Huh? Now tell me if it makes sense at all to funnel five 20 amp circuits through one 20 amp breaker? Well that's what they did, and though the gig started on time I was really sweating it. Cables had to be run over to other buildings, and with no time for another burn in all I could do was to hold my breath and grimace through the parts where all the lights were on.

Just another one of those weird school situations.

PurpHaze
04-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Just another one of those weird school situations.

They're an animal all to themselves. I can guarantee one thing: the school being built today will end up being dug up within a couple of years to upgrade electrical, communications, alarm systems, etc. I've had some systems backhoed 3-4 times through the exact same areas to add conduit for one thing or another.

Critical Care
04-06-2006, 11:00 AM
I can guarantee one thing: the school being built today will end up being dug up within a couple of years to upgrade electrical, communications, alarm systems, etc.

Really? So what's the skinny on this? Why does it seem as if educational facilities always need more demolition and renovation than other places?

But maybe this really isn't the case, because it could be that with any county or state municipal building you'll find ongoing demolition... but within a couple of years?:dizzy:

More than likely the problem goes back to pinching too many pennies in the planning stage and during construction. Save a few pennies only to spend millions later on. This must make sense to someone, but I'm just a dumb landscaper and not a politician.

Yeah yeah yeah... and I already told you about that new high school out here with the huge sink hole in their track...:nono:

gusbuster
04-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Really? So what's the skinny on this? Why does it seem as if educational facilities always need more demolition and renovation than other places?

But maybe this really isn't the case, because it could be that with any county or state municipal building you'll find ongoing demolition... but within a couple of years?:dizzy:

More than likely the problem goes back to pinching too many pennies in the planning stage and during construction. Save a few pennies only to spend millions later on. This must make sense to someone, but I'm just a dumb landscaper and not a politician.

Yeah yeah yeah... and I already told you about that new high school out here with the huge sink hole in their track...:nono:

Naw, it's never politics, ignorance maybe, but never politics:).

Ca pub schools are their own animals. Class sizes keep on growing and growing without enough schools being built and over spending on administrations.

Take Visalia for instance.(Purple haze correct me if I'm wrong) Place is growing and growing with people looking for affordable housing.(migrants from both Bakersfield from the south and Fresno to the north) You have major companies who are locating in that area because of cheaper land prices and policies that are business friendly.
John

PurpHaze
04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Naw, it's never politics, ignorance maybe, but never politics:).

Ca pub schools are their own animals. Class sizes keep on growing and growing without enough schools being built and over spending on administrations.

Take Visalia for instance.(Purple haze correct me if I'm wrong) Place is growing and growing with people looking for affordable housing.(migrants from both Bakersfield from the south and Fresno to the north) You have major companies who are locating in that area because of cheaper land prices and policies that are business friendly.
John

CC... John's on the right track. Visalia's becoming a suburb of Bakersfield and Fresno with a huge influx of folks moving in from LA and the bay area who are cashing out high properties and upgrading to our area. I left The OC in 1980 because it was wall-to-wall people. Now there are streets in Visalia I don't drive down because they're so busy. :cry:

The fact of the matter is that the schools being built today were actually for the students 4-5 years ago. By the time bonds are passed, things get approved, matching monies solved (if necessary), planning and architecture processes done and construction finally finished new schools are outdated before they're even built. One school that opened two years ago already had six portable buildings in place on its fields after only one year was up. Our newest high school has already had two new buildings and four portables put up for all the extra kids. Then add portables to house students during reconstruction and modernization projects as well as "new technology" (gone through cable to data comm to internet access) and the picture becomes a little clearer as to why school sites are always in a state of flux. :dizzy:

Critical Care
04-08-2006, 12:04 PM
Visalia's becoming a suburb of Bakersfield and Fresno with a huge influx of folks moving in from LA and the bay area who are cashing out high properties and upgrading to our area...

Yeah, for sure, and all the Visalians are moving up here.

The revamping for “new technology” I can surely see and understand… after all wasn’t that an Al Gore thing? But lets face it, there are time line projections that people could plan on. If statistics show that the area will continue to grow at a specific rate for the next unforeseen years, then why not plan on today’s school with a four or five years growth rate figure included within it?

Last month I got to work over at this new high school that has the sink hole catastrophe in the track. It was indeed an impressive looking building! Education must have been pretty bad back during the days that I went to school because all we had were ugly square brick buildings. Think about all the $$$ today that goes into cosmetics rather than functionality. One could easily be led to believe that there could be a bit of pride and vanity going on. You know, I bet that if parents got to choose between two schools, one that’s a big square box, and another one that was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, they’d pick the latter – even if the former school could appropriate more of it’s funds towards education.

PurpHaze
04-10-2006, 08:25 AM
If statistics show that the area will continue to grow at a specific rate for the next unforeseen years, then why not plan on today’s school with a four or five years growth rate figure included within it?

In a word... money. :)

PurpHaze
04-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Finally got done. All we have to do is turn the isolation valves back on tomorrow. :clapping:

Replacing the concrete is now someone else's problem. :laugh: