PDA

View Full Version : Drainage for fence on slope

LawnVet
04-01-2006, 02:00 PM
I recently installed two neighboring privacy fences near the edge of a steep slope (appx 35 deg) in a new subdivision in central TX. I was lucky enough to get sod down prior to some heavy rains so I didn't have a wash out underneath, a house next door to this one lost a large amount of soil/yard. The owners have expressed concern about the posts washing out or the soil erroding beneath the fence. I quickly put some perferated pvc with crushed stone in places that look like the water naturally drains around under the fence/sod. I put this in the hardscape forum because I know those who work with high r-walls use special drainage and thought you might have a good answer. Any ideas? Oh, and by the way, the soil sucks here - anyone ever hear of calechae(sp?)?

UNISCAPER
04-01-2006, 02:03 PM
I've never seen wood wash anything. Water washes alot of stuff however...So, I'm wondering if the nieghbor is not part goofball.

As far as Caleechi, yup. But if you got into that stuff you might as well be in granite. It's that hard and it would take alot of water pressure to wash it away

LawnVet
04-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Bill,
You ain't kidding about it being tough...I put 39 posts into this junk, done many other fences in the area, but this is the first time I hit Caleechi...hopefully the last.

"I've never seen wood wash anything. Water washes alot of stuff however...So, I'm wondering if the nieghbor is not part goofball."

I was refering to runoff eroding around the posts (metal in 24" deep concrete). The neighbor has nothing, no sod, no fence, just a steep drop, and a ton of erosion. I looked at this job again this morning and see that some of the erosion has gone beneath some of the sod already. I put a quick-fix weedbarrier fabric down with ties deep in the gullie and loaded it with rocks/riprap. I'm just concerned that it will continue throughout the entire slope area...not much I can do about that. I would think a lot of water would be needed to wash it away except that it is a newly filled area and some areas surrounding this job site have suffered major sloughing-off. The developer screwed these folks when he put this fill/slope in. I wouldn't be surprised if a few of these houses began to settle/crack within 5 years.

Ryan