PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion of the RB 5004?

Keith
04-01-2006, 02:13 PM
Over the past few years we have used mostly K-Rain ProPlus rotors for residential new-installs as well as repairs on existing systems. They got me to take a chance with them when the local distributor had buy one case-get one free. They honestly have been good to me. Before that we used PGP's almost exclusively. Long term, I don't see a whole lot of difference in failure rates. If anything, here anyway, we've had a little more trouble out of the PGP's. On the other hand, there are a lot of PGP's that are still in the ground and going strong. So, I can say I am comfortable with using either of them, with my preference going to the ProPlus.

I was at the supply house today and noticed the small stack of RB5004 cases sitting there and wondered why I had never given them a shot like I did the K-Rain. The supplier had given me a number of them a few years ago and I used them for watering in fresh sod with hose spikes. I don't even know what I did with them :hammerhead: I know one got installed, but I can't seem to remember where. I remember I really liked the nozzles and pattern, but I don't have any long term data of my own. When I paid the bill I asked one of the guys at the supply place about the Rainbird, he didn't have much to say about them one way or the other. He did tell me they were $6.7x each and that struck me as odd. Is this rotor on it's way out? He said it was just a short term sale.

So what are your thoughts on it? Other than the nozzle, is there anything extraordinary about this model? Anything terrible about it?

Beartooth
04-01-2006, 02:27 PM
I have used the 5004 and the 5004plus almost exclusively for the past 4 years. Initially we saw a large failure rate due to lack of rotation. It appears that Rain Bird has fixed the problem by now and we are not seeing any real failures. The PGP, however, is an extraordinary rotor and is still by far the most popular one on the market. After all, Hunter did invent the technology and have perfected it.

koster_irrigation
04-01-2006, 06:38 PM
I like the fallout pattern of a S800 Toro / K-rain pro plus better than a 5000 rotor. The K-Rain's nozzle does better with lower pressures.

I install both though.

We installed 5000's all of last season, but weve switched back to the S800's

DanaMac
04-02-2006, 11:22 AM
I like it a lot. I was skeptical after having been through the T-Bird fiasco in the early/mid '90s. But I like the 5004 a lot. If the reliability is going to end up being the same as the PGP, I would prefer the 5004. I have slowly been moving more towards them the last 2 years.

What I like:

the nozzles are marked as to the specific gallonage
the adjustment is done with a small screwdriver instead of a specifically designed key
the nozzle tree has regular and low angle nozzles - Hunter has the LA but you must get them separately
cheaper price

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Ditto..while I have always hated pretty much anything Rainbird..I am learning to try new things...and I like 'em also.

don't ask my why I have always hated RB..it has to do with a supply house in my area when I started out and what pr.cks they all were there....and they just happened to be the RB distributor...silly I know, but thats the reason.

Flow Control
04-02-2006, 12:11 PM
This is a good thread..........

I used to be strictly PGP, with small mix of others here and there. Like the other irrigator stated when the 5000 series first came out they did have a high failure rate but since then they have changed the design and the rate as all but vanished. I do not recommend the plus with SS shaft those aren't worth a good shart. I have used the S800 and but I am unhappy with the nozzle technology. The 5000 in my opinion has superior nozzle technology then a PGP. Since we started installing more 5000's last year we bought a few hundred JTV valves to try. Let me say I have been nothing but impressed with them as well. I was a fan of 2400T series do to the reliability but would still try to use PGV's to get the points back. But I honestly don't remember 1 JTV going bad last year. And the price drop is just Rain Birds effort of trying to gain on the PGP.

Dirty Water
04-02-2006, 12:32 PM
Last I heard Rainbird was pulling the JTV valves.

Maybe I heard wrong. I'm still using DVF-100's.

In my opinion nozzles 1-3 on the PGP tree SUCK. However, we rarely have to use them.

I wish Hunter would do some more work on their nozzles, because I'm perfectly happy with the PGP.

Flow Control
04-02-2006, 01:04 PM
I just ordered 300 JTV's. I hope there days are not limited......:angry:

Wet_Boots
04-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Funny thing about Hunter nozzles, is that they gave fairly effective coverage, even back in the old days, when they sold the head with a fine-mesh screen. If you ask a Hunter rep whether the nozzle changes have anything to do with trying to match up with the Rain Curtain sales pitch, (as opposed to any actual improvement in coverage) you will very likely see a smile. The old Hunter nozzles gave effective coverage, although dropping the fine-mesh screen in favor of the present screen, forced them to redesign the smallest nozzles. I'm curious what deficiencies one would see with the smaller PGP nozzles?

Since it's Rainbird that holds the patent on the best popup seal, ever since the Minipaw days, it's kind of funny how much trouble they've had matching it up with a reliable gear-drive rotor.

Flow Control
04-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Would you guys agree that the biggest complaint on PGP's from customers and contractors that there is not much coverage from the head to say 15' out. I know that everyone overlaps coverage anyways. But if you had a 5004pc and a PGP-ADJ next to each other. My guess is that the PGP would throw a little further then the 5004, but the coverage closer to the head would be better with the 5004. I know this statement might cause a firestorm but it is what I see in the field.

Wet_Boots
04-02-2006, 01:39 PM
There is a lot of room for error in those observations. Hunter (along with everyone else, I imagine) maintain a room where the water from a sprinklerhead is captured and measured, to check for uniformity of coverage. The close-in precipitation should probably be less than what you think it should be, since that water is spread over a proportionately smaller area than at the furthest reaches of a nozzles.

justgeorge
04-04-2006, 10:09 AM
IWhat I like:
the nozzle tree has regular and low angle nozzles - Hunter has the LA but you must get them separately

Not true - Hunter has the LOW TRAJECTORY on the standard nozzle tree. It is the SHORT RADIUS (25' and 18') that are separate.

I love the low trajectories on the Hunters for going under tree branches. Also the short radius, as the neighborhoods around here have a lot of 45' yards from street to sidewalk.

George

Dirty Water
04-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Not true - Hunter has the LOW TRAJECTORY on the standard nozzle tree. It is the SHORT RADIUS (25' and 18') that are separate.

I love the low trajectories on the Hunters for going under tree branches. Also the short radius, as the neighborhoods around here have a lot of 45' yards from street to sidewalk.

George

I was under the impression that the grey nozzles were low trajectory nozzles...Those don't come with the heads.

bicmudpuppy
04-04-2006, 03:24 PM

George
I think your speaking to I-20's not PGPs. Jon's right, the grey nozzle set for the pgp is the LA nozzle tree. My rep will give them to me, but Hunter does have a list price for the extra nozzles as well. The short range nozzles for the I-20 are great nozzles, but again, our friends at Hunter want you to pay for them.

justgeorge
04-06-2006, 08:12 AM
I think your speaking to I-20's not PGPs. Jon's right, the grey nozzle set for the pgp is the LA nozzle tree. My rep will give them to me, but Hunter does have a list price for the extra nozzles as well. The short range nozzles for the I-20 are great nozzles, but again, our friends at Hunter want you to pay for them.

Good point, I always install I-20s and the LA nozzles are grey and come with the standard tree. The short radius nozzles are black and cost less than $1 per tree.

rluscomb
04-23-2006, 12:26 AM
The RB5000 & 5000+ are truely a great rotor for the price (around $8.00ea) but i found that if they have been in the ground awhile it is almost impossible to adjust due to dirt being clogged in the bonnet.