PDA

View Full Version : Fraud at the highest degree

TheHotShotKid
04-01-2006, 05:08 PM
www.creativenightscapes.com

Somebody posted this website and expressed worship for this company like they are the second coming. Click on the gallery link. Every single solitary photograph was taken from http://uniquelighting.com/photos/gallery.htm

As for claims as to how many projects they are installing a month, take it from whence it comes. Lighting distributors and sales reps talk a wild streak. The kid is not going to sit around and read such blasphemy.:dizzy:

oilfield
04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
How do you sale lighting when every word that you type makes you come off as such a arse. Now I know why everyone dislikes you on this site.

YardPro
04-01-2006, 09:28 PM
just put him on you ignore list and he will eventually go away

niteliters
04-01-2006, 09:46 PM
The kid is back!!! long time no read. I don't plan on putting you on my ignore list. I find your input provactive and sometimes right to the point...also always entertaining

I didn't think you could stay away for long

chris

TheHotShotKid
04-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Thanks Chris

At least I have 1 fan. Those other replies are from bitter contractors down on their luck who don't like to face the facts or the truth. No wonder they are in the position they are in.

YardPro
04-02-2006, 07:52 AM
not even close.
i am not bitter nor down on my luck. I have a very succesful business and am doing very well.

I just think you are an arrogant kid who has a lot of growing up to do.
you come here and post thread after thread. you attack members here, you become juvenile when someone disagrees with you, or when nobody responds to your threads.

TheHotShotKid
04-02-2006, 09:34 AM
So fraud is ok by you, but my posting messages isn't? Well that tells us a little about your character buster.

Travisty
04-02-2006, 11:31 AM
I don't take it as busting. Not a big deal. Truth is that this guy did take all those pic's from that other website. Good to know, I guess. As for the amount of jobs he's doing I definetly took what that guy said with a grain of salt.
Having said that it doesn't seem impossible if he was pumping $12K into advertising and he had the resources does it? I don't know, you guys have been at this longer than me.

I mean I think with an with an rocksolid smart marketing campaign you could do it. Look at the Dyson guy you posted on. I still stick to my guns in saying I don't want to put up crappy designs and throw lights in the ground randomly, but I still am not doing this because I love to be outdoors at night either.

:drinkup:

Travisty
04-02-2006, 11:33 AM
Oh and while I am thinking about it. What is a realistic number of jobs for one crew per month? I haven't a clue. I can only guess from how long it took me to do my first job. I think I remember crossing a site where someone on the east coast had 9 installers though.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes

TheHotShotKid
04-02-2006, 01:17 PM
copywright infringement is a pretty serious infraction. Anyone who would deceptively post photos to their website for commercial gain and represent them as their own is lower than pond scum. Violators such as this should be drummed out of business and have there lively hood taken away. Irks me to the hgighest degree.

Travisty
04-02-2006, 01:49 PM
I have to say ya... that's pretty Ballsy if you will. It's not like it's a really small company he ripped the picks from. Not to mention the fact that he's been in business for 8 years.
And he did the whole website with them.

Travis Schiffner
ShadowScapes

Pro-Scapes
04-02-2006, 08:02 PM
maybe he has permission like cast gives permission to qualified contractors to use thier pics in marketing/websites as long as you sign the agreement. Before you blow any whistles lets see your website hotshot.

NightScenes
04-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I really don't think that the HotShot is even in the business Billy. If you check all of his/her threads, there is absolutely nothing that indicates that he/she is involved in the landscape lighting business. There are alot of questions but very few answers. I don't see any help at all to anyone. Please let us know if you see any.
No web site. No business name. No place of business. Nothing. I figure that if he/she is not going to help, why pay any attention to him/her. I for one have put him/her on my ignore list and plan to leave him/her there. I say him/her because who ever it is, hasn't even said whether they are male or female. I figure it's a female to scared to put personal information on the net.
In that case I would understand. Of course I think it would be hard to be in this business and not have a web presence.

YardPro
04-03-2006, 07:11 AM
we are authorized belgard installers and are authorizd to use thier pictures in out marketing campaign...

might well be the same here

Frog Lights, LLC
04-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Long live the "Hot Shot Kid" ! !

TheHotShotKid
04-03-2006, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the endorsement Frog-lights. This Nightscapes shows no cooth or eticate here. He takes every opportunity to promote his lame organization and steers people here towards members who are distributors. That's like going into a McDonald's and telling people to leave and go to Burger King. The guy is totally out of line and should be banned for life from your sponsored site.

steveparrott
04-04-2006, 09:37 AM
I think it's ideal for designers to use their own photos on their sites, but landscape lighting photography is tough. The goal is to show homeowners what's possible and to motivate them to make the call. I see no problem with companies using mfg. photos as long as they don't make a claim or implication that these are jobs they've done.

I've provided photos to dozens of companies for this purpose (usually with a CAST watermark). I'm always careful not to give them photos of their competitors in their region and I encourage them to replace the photos with their own projects as soon as possible.

Occaisionally a CAST photo ends up being used inappropriately. In every case a simple call or message resolves the issue. Only once did I have to resort to contacting the host of the site – in that case the host convinced the offender.

Pro-Scapes
04-04-2006, 12:53 PM
well put steve. The cast photos are going to be a valuble asset to us as we start our marketing the 2nd week of may. I plan to replace them asap and we are studying the art of nighttime phtography as well as working with some freelance photographers in our area

steveparrott
04-05-2006, 01:19 PM
Billy,

If you don't gave a comera already. I highly recommend the new Canon EOS-30D. I use the 20-D, but the new 30-D has a bigger and better preview screen that will make it much easier to see whether or not the photo looks good.

Mike & Lucia
04-07-2006, 10:51 PM
Steve - On your recomendation, I bought the EOS 20D last fall. Bought the 18-55mm lens, tripod and two extra 1G cards. Having fun learning the techniques. Recently started 'bracketing' and playing with other manual setting to prevent burn-in, making certain areas to bright. Also, now with additional memory, my graphic artist suggested I shoot in RAW mode. I'm playing a bit with Adobe PhotoShop, but he's the pro. If I'm sending him a pic to prepare for print he appreciates the RAW file.

Something I learned from experience applies no matter what camera you are shooting: Take extra time before the sun sets to prep the site. It is easier to pick up a piece of litter than to try to erase it later. Have a helper turn your glare shields to the CAMERA's vantage point and eliminate hot spots from the start. Just make sure to turn them back before leaving.

One of these days I'll post a couple of my favorites.

Mike

steveparrott
04-08-2006, 12:58 PM
Mike,

Can't wait to see the pics! Good tips on the site prep.

Another technique I use on almost every shoot, is to re-aim uplights on trees and buidlings. Most designers like a slightly dramatic hotspot on uplit objects – to the eye, it looks good because we can distinguish details in the hotspot and adjacent areas. But the camera receptors are more contrasty, hotspots can go to white (doesn't look good).

For this reason, I tilt back most of the uplights to spead out the hotspot and dim the entire illuminated region. The result is a photo with details in the illuminated regions.

Interestingly, most of the designers leave the spots as I re-aimed them, lending support to the fact that uplighting can often be improved by making it more subtle and less dramatic.

Dreams To Designs
04-09-2006, 07:20 AM
Steve, that is funny how you point out the hot spots show on camera and have to adjust. As you have seen, most feel the hot spots are ok, until they see a photograph and realize the big bright white spot they created.

Kirk