PDA

View Full Version : whats over seeding??

james 1
04-01-2006, 06:38 PM
i went to day to do spring cleanup to a new customer and she told if i can over seed her lawn i didn't say much about it because i don't know anything about over seeding and she is new, i will be mowing her yard once a week and i don't want to loose the account
what should i do about it?????

Envy Lawn Service
04-01-2006, 06:46 PM
For God sakes..........

Xterminator
04-01-2006, 06:51 PM
Seed The Yard you dont need a License or Cert. to do that put down the Seed

LawnGuy73
04-01-2006, 08:18 PM
How can you offer lawn services and not know what overseeding is? Im not trying to be an ass or or anything, but come on..:rolleyes:

befnme
04-01-2006, 08:22 PM
come on dude get real :nono: . you say you have been in business for 2 years and dont know what overseeding is .:laugh: i think it's time for a career change.

zmowing
04-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Don't feel bad I'll teach you.go to lesco, ask them what seed you need and starter fertilzer. rent a seeder slicer then slice the seed in the ground.Measure the property so you know how much product you need.

cwlawley
04-01-2006, 10:07 PM
^ What are you talking about....this kid doesn't know what overseeding is, much less how to slice seed or being liscensed to do fertilizer.

Overseeding is simply throwing (with use of a spreader) grass seed on the top of the exsisting lawn. You can do this and then tell her to water a lot. It isn't hard to do - charge her $20-25 bucks plus supplies.

PMLAWN
04-01-2006, 11:15 PM
And to think that for many years, people watched TV for comedy on Sat night. This one is fun!! Thanks Guys

dcondon
04-01-2006, 11:23 PM
^ What are you talking about....this kid doesn't know what overseeding is, much less how to slice seed or being liscensed to do fertilizer.

Overseeding is simply throwing (with use of a spreader) grass seed on the top of the exsisting lawn. You can do this and then tell her to water a lot. It isn't hard to do - charge her $20-25 bucks plus supplies.

Ya don't start trying to explain slice seed to the pour little guy. Through some seed down and rake it in.:waving:

topsites
04-02-2006, 03:18 AM
First off, when I started I did not know what overseeding meant and this is the 'starting in business' section and I am sure an end to the smart comments would be appreciated. It is ok to poke a bit of fun, but at least help the guy out instead of putting people down for asking questions. If you can't / are not willing to help, the off-topic thread is usually a good place to waste some time.

That having been said...
Overseeding is the process of spreading seed (over) top of existing grass.
Obviously, one can not overseed if grass does not exist.

Hence, the two types of seed applications are called fresh or new lawn seeding, and overseeding.
As for me, I just say seeding... duh...

TURF DOCTOR
04-02-2006, 03:21 AM
What ever you decide don't throw it on top of the ground.

Envy Lawn Service
04-02-2006, 03:35 AM
First off, when I started I did not know what overseeding meant and this is the 'starting in business' section and I am sure an end to the smart comments would be appreciated. It is ok to poke a bit of fun, but at least help the guy out instead of putting people down for asking questions. If you can't / are not willing to help, the off-topic thread is usually a good place to waste some time.

That having been said...

Hence, the two types of seed applications are called fresh or new lawn seeding, and overseeding.

This thread was not started in this forum section...
It was re-located (MOVED) here.

If the customer knows more about lawn care than you... you may be out of your league.
A customer's lawn is no place for self-OJT.

TURF DOCTOR
04-02-2006, 10:38 AM
Not being a wise guy, seems all my customers think they know it all in lawncare.

kmann
04-02-2006, 12:23 PM
i went to day to do spring cleanup to a new customer and she told if i can over seed her lawn i didn't say much about it because i don't know anything about over seeding and she is new, i will be mowing her yard once a week and i don't want to loose the account
what should i do about it?????
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!

All_Clear
04-02-2006, 12:56 PM

That having been said...

Well Said... Some of these people on here need to find a better way to up there post count then coming to the threads they aren't going to answer/help... bunch of happy post whores that dont care what they post, nor do they care to help anyone with an honest question, no matter what age or how long in business.

As far as the site making you put in a number "how long you've been in business" Thats about a joke. 90% of you dont even have a true number there, so quit busting the guys balls, atleast he's trying to learn.

trying 2b organic
04-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Throwing seed on top of the ground is what overseeding is. Yes i get better results if i overseed after a de-thatch or topdressing but golf course studies PROVE that turf thickens and results are obtained simply by spreading seed over existing turf.

DLS1
04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
but golf course studies PROVE that turf thickens and results are obtained simply by spreading seed over existing turf.

:laugh: :laugh:

chriscraft
04-02-2006, 07:16 PM
What ever you decide don't throw it on top of the ground.
Throwong seed on top of turf is a wastre of time i agree, We specialize in overaseeding and grounds restoration, so i would suggest you go to the rennovation section here and spend an hour going thru some of the threads , you will get a lot of insight on the subject. At the very least cut her lawn short 2 1/2 inches or so and rent an aerator, then overseed about 3 lbs of seed per 1,000 sq feet. You can check online recommended rate per 1,000 for seed. And lesco can help you with the type opf seed to use