PDA

View Full Version : My sod price..am I in the ballpark?

LB1234
04-01-2006, 06:42 PM
how does $2/sf sound?

I realize it is dependent on the conditions and everything else and its unique for everyone, however....just looking for opinions. I'm not very experienced with installs, obviously since I'm posting.

I tried doing a search for sod installs and price but couldn't get a number for price per sf. thx again.:waving:

firefightergw
04-01-2006, 06:50 PM
Does that price include prepping by removing current vegetation, tilling soil, leveling ground, applying top soil, and laying down sod?

LB1234
04-01-2006, 06:57 PM
Does that price include prepping by removing current vegetation, tilling soil, leveling ground, applying top soil, and laying down sod?

It includes my bringing in topsoil and compost...50/50 mix, no need to kill grass or vegetation that is hardly any there from last year and soil cultivator will take care of anything else that is left. And yes, it includes leveling...actually grading since the sod is going to be placed on a slight incline. And yes, it includes laying down the sod.

Duck Dodger
04-01-2006, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure what you are paying for sod but that sounds like a good number if you are just alying one or two pallots but kinda high for more than that. If you rent a skidsteer you are out 200 1-2 hours work @50 an hour. We pay from 80-120 per pallot thats 504 sq'. Two men steady working can put out a pallot in 45min-1 hour. If you only put out 2 pallots that 1000 bucks -440=560 gross profit for 4 man hours not too bad.

LB1234
04-01-2006, 07:26 PM
3, 600sqft cubes.

firefightergw
04-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Sounds about right to me in theory. I know this is not what you were looking for but I would figure up all your cost in materials, equipment rental (if any), etc. Everything else would be labor. My wife and I did my first one. (she's a trooper). We put down 1800sq. ft of St Augustine for $895 but I did not add top soil, level the ground, or till. Just took the present grass down to the dirt, sprayed with round-up and put down the new sod a week later. Took us a day, 4 pallets. On incline too. After doing the job, realized I had seriously underbid it but the only labor cost I had was my time and took my wife to a restaurant for dinner.

olderthandirt
04-01-2006, 07:31 PM
Sounds about right to me in theory. I know this is not what you were looking for but I would figure up all your cost in materials, equipment rental (if any), etc. Everything else would be labor. My wife and I did my first one. (she's a trooper). We put down 1800sq. ft of St Augustine for $895 but I did not add top soil, level the ground, or till. Just took the present grass down to the dirt, sprayed with round-up and put down the new sod a week later. Took us a day, 4 pallets. On incline too. After doing the job, realized I had seriously underbid it but the only labor cost I had was my time and took my wife to a restaurant for dinner.

I'd charge more so I could buy me a bike THIS yr.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

firefightergw
04-01-2006, 07:41 PM
I'd charge more so I could buy me a bike THIS yr.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can't take it anymore:nono: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: