PDA

View Full Version : cheapest retaining wall product

cedarcroft
04-01-2006, 07:34 PM
what is the least expensive block for a wall? I am doing a small wall for a builder and need to keep costs DOWN. any suggestions?

jacob land and
04-01-2006, 08:14 PM
cinder blocks

YardPro
04-01-2006, 09:50 PM
lol,
cheap and SRW cannot be used together...

they are all very close in price...
if someone is penny penching on the material in a wall, they cannot afford a quality srw.

Mike33
04-01-2006, 10:50 PM
Tell the builder to fix his own mess. Many times on new construction walls arent neccessary if excvation is done properly. If one is needed and of course
many times is neccessary, dont go cheap. SRW must be built properly and with good material. Remember if it comes down and hurts someone who is going to get sued. I use only Allen block over 100 i have built. There are many good ones to choose from: Versa lock, EP Henry, etc. I learned with allen block and seen alot of high ones with it like 40'. However im not going to start a pissing contest of which one is the best. Stick with a top brand or don't do the job, cheap material and in proper installs make it tough on us.

mike

kootoomootoo
04-01-2006, 11:39 PM
The guy building a fence with pallets may have a few left over.

YardPro
04-02-2006, 09:01 AM
LOL

that is funny.................

cedarcroft
04-02-2006, 09:40 AM
well now we have a perfect example of what I am looking for. Versa Lock is the cheapest PER BLOCK in my area, but per sq ft, I think its not as cheap as Allan Block. I am not looking to skimp on materials, just looking for the best bang for my buck. The last wall I did was Anchor Jumbos and around here they run about $9.75 a block. that is unacceptable, I can't spend that much. I think I will go with the AB. are stairs difficult with the AB?

Pallets would be nice. :rolleyes:

mrusk
04-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Cedar- I use a block called Diamound Pro made from Grinnell. I belive it is around 5.25 for the 1 sq ft block. The block has a lip on the back. It may not look as nice as other blocks, but i belive it will hold up any bank just as well. I build a nice 3.5 ft wall out of it last year and it still looks good. This block would be good if you want to keep the cost down on the wall for the builder.

On alot of my wall estimates i'll price the wall out to versa lok. 50% of the time the homeowner will tell me thanks anyway, but thats more than we want to spend. I then fire right back with a price for cheaper block and than land most of the jobs. Most of my retainingwalls i build so far are there to hold up a hill. Alot of them are in places on the property were the homeowner can't see them, so often they do not care if the face is all that pretty.

I will proably get blasted for this post, but take in mind i am not building tall walls with the cheap block. 2-3.5 foot walls, with no large surcharges.

Mike33
04-02-2006, 10:40 PM
I think steps are a pain in the ass regardless what kind of block used. I try to avoiid them and talk my customer out of them as much as possible. I pay $ 5.70 for allen block in my area not sure what versa lock cost.
mike

cedarcroft
04-03-2006, 01:57 AM
well I appreciate all the replies but I think I am just gonna do a nice simple low cost timber wall. I can save the guy a few bucks and keep my sanity. I hope he goes for it.

neversatisfiedj
04-03-2006, 09:05 AM
Allan block the cheapest for coverage. 8x18 inch block for under 6.00

UNISCAPER
04-03-2006, 10:43 AM
Broken concrete stacked to look like flagstone.

YardPro
04-04-2006, 08:26 AM
i was thinking broken bricks, etc... give it the "mosaic look"