PDA

View Full Version : Flyers-one man style?

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
04-01-2006, 08:29 PM
I have been hitting mailboxes with flyers with my self driving and a friend out the passenger window of a Buick Rendesvouz. We get about 100 done per hour with the 2 of us doing it. My helper is going out of town for a couple of weeks, and I am planning on doing some on my own, but am not looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road. Any suggestions? (I live in north Atlanta and only target subdivisions.)
TIA

Jeremy

mak2
04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I do about 500 in 2 hours in most paperbox set ups. Neighborhoods are different. An area with a paperbox per house I do 500 in an hour when it is a stop per house it is about 2- 2.5 hours. 100 per hour sounds more like door hangars. Are your houses far apart?:confused:

Dunn's
04-01-2006, 08:33 PM
From experience from last year flyering, it is so much easier to have one driver stop at one end of the street and drive down to the other end and wait (yeah it's boring for that person but hey, ya gotta do what works) and have 2 people flyering, one on either side of the street. That is what we did this year and in a little under 3 hours we got out about 700 flyers. Good luck! :)

Xterminator
04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
If the flyers are folded two people should be able to put out 500 per hour

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
04-01-2006, 08:50 PM
There are no paperboxes here, and lots of brick and iron mailboxes that can really be a pain to find a good spot to stick or tape a flyer. I guess we actually got 150+ done per hour, fuzzy math. Anyone have advice on SOLO flyering in large hilly subdivisions?

Carolina Cuts
04-01-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes, I ran into the same problem....driving down the wrong side of the road... so I decided to get out extra early.... 6:30-9am before the traffic starts in the communities. Sunday mornings are good too.... most people are sleeping late... again, less traffic.

Firefighter1428
04-05-2006, 02:16 PM
I ve done both ways of putting out flyers, Its a real pain in the ass by yourself, I recommend a 2 person job but 1 person can do it As for the right time to put out flyersd, I mostly go out late saturday night or early sunday morning. Scope out the areas your going to hit up, see when the newspapers get dropped off, See how many news papers are in the main box or sitting in the yard mid day saturday or sunday, that way you can adjust your time to drop off.. I try to get my flyers in the paper boxes just after the paper "Person" makes their delivery that way my flyers on top and it goes in the house with the sunday paper. Sundays most people sleep in late, relax and read the paper and I have fun this is the perfect time for them to see an ad for lawn work.

I do have one question for those out there that put out flyers in mailboxes. Do you lay them flat in the box, fold them over, or fold and staple them closed? What seems to work for you?

Good luck this year to all..

daveintoledo
04-05-2006, 02:27 PM
There are no paperboxes here, and lots of brick and iron mailboxes that can really be a pain to find a good spot to stick or tape a flyer. I guess we actually got 150+ done per hour, fuzzy math. Anyone have advice on SOLO flyering in large hilly subdivisions?

please do a search, it is a federal offence to put your flyers in the mailbox..... many people here have had big trouble from it.....

not in, on, or affixed to the mailbox...

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
04-05-2006, 04:08 PM
I put out another 600 yesterday. I am putting them on the mailpost or behind the flag. I get flyers like that all the time, no problems w/USPS. I thought that it was an offense inside the mailbox, not outside, anyone have a link to the law?

tlwmsu
04-05-2006, 05:54 PM
I put out another 600 yesterday. I am putting them on the mailpost or behind the flag. I get flyers like that all the time, no problems w/USPS. I thought that it was an offense inside the mailbox, not outside, anyone have a link to the law?

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1997/gg97085.pdf

Look at the 2nd to last paragraph on page 6...
Postal Service regulations are broader than the mailbox restriction law.
The regulations restrict items placed upon, supported by, attached to,
hung from, or inserted into a mailbox.

The post might be ok...other than that, they could get testy about it. :nono:

ATVracer
04-06-2006, 12:11 AM
geez............................

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
04-06-2006, 04:00 PM
restrict not prohibit

tlwmsu
04-06-2006, 04:43 PM
restrict not prohibit

I'm really not trying to be a PITA, because I think advertising is essential. But, wouldn't "restrict" mean that you would need some sort of permission from the local postmaster, or a permit or something? I've done flyers before, for various things, and have been guilty of taping to mailboxes without any permission; so please don't take my responses to be judgemental...I've been there, done that...I just genuinely don't want you to get in any trouble over this...:dancing:

Precision Lawns
04-06-2006, 04:49 PM
Yes, people put flyers on mailboxes all the time - that doesn't make it legal. We put some out (about 100 - not a lot, thank goodness) on the flags of mailboxes last year. Got a call from the post office later telling us the first time was a warning, second time there would be a fine of $300 per box. Yup, that would be $30,000 for our 100 flyers. And they made it very clear we were not to put a flyer ANYWHERE on the box - including the post.

Needless to say, we've never touched a mailbox again. Just because you get flyers on your mailbox doesn't mean those people aren't getting fined.

Oh, and the postal carriers took all our flyers off the mailboxes too, so we never even got to the homeowners.

ALarsh
04-06-2006, 04:52 PM
I'm really not trying to be a PITA, because I think advertising is essential. But, wouldn't "restrict" mean that you would need some sort of permission from the local postmaster, or a permit or something? I've done flyers before, for various things, and have been guilty of taping to mailboxes without any permission; so please don't take my responses to be judgemental...I've been there, done that...I just genuinely don't want you to get in any trouble over this...:dancing:
You can't put anything on, in or touching the mail box/post at all. Trust me, my post office had a chat with me today.:dizzy:

It would also explain why I got a 0.2% call back.

Madstriper
04-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Last season, a buddy who is a LCO hit a neighborhood putting flyers on the flags of mailboxes. He got a call later that same day from the USPS letting him know what he did was illegal and can result in MAJOR fines. They said that they picked up all his flyers, and he could have them back if he wouldnt do it again.
He said he wouldnt do it again, but was too embarassed to go pick up the flyers.

jd6323
04-07-2006, 02:31 AM
I always do it on Saturdays after the postman has passed so the people have all of Saturday afternoon and Sunday before the postman comes. The one time I did it by myself on the wrong side of the road was in the middle of the night on Saturday....no traffic at all haha.

daveintoledo
04-07-2006, 08:31 AM
I always do it on Saturdays after the postman has passed so the people have all of Saturday afternoon and Sunday before the postman comes. The one time I did it by myself on the wrong side of the road was in the middle of the night on Saturday....no traffic at all haha.

thats it, its ok to break the law..... as long as you dont get cought.......and the professional world looks down on us because.......
:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
04-07-2006, 11:20 AM
piss on whatever "professional world" you are talking about!
Get away with what you can, just understand and accept the consequences!:usflag:

daveintoledo
04-07-2006, 12:22 PM
piss on whatever "professional world" you are talking about!
Get away with what you can, just understand and accept the consequences!:usflag:

people who run a legitamit busines follow the rules..... or your just a cheap lawn boy......

i love how the newbies come on here and think they can do what ever they want.... ever try the search button....... a FEDERAL offence will not only cost alot, you could go to prison....hahhhahaa try pissing on that...the post office doesnt screw around, there are alot of people here who have tried and got busted and fined big money, then you get to pay the postage for anything you may have put inthe mailbox.....besides the number of flyers that never reach a potential customer.... because they are removed....

let me guess, you have no liabilty insurance, your not registered with the state, and you pay no taxes...

OutdoorExtras
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
It's been my experience that as long as you put the flier in the paper box and not on the mailbox or post that the mail carriers could care less. I've delivered around 20,000+ fliers over the years and not once did I get a call from the post office. That being said all areas are different so this might not be the case in other parts of the country.
The best way I found was to head out at about midnight and drive on the wrong side of the road (only in subs:) ). You will rarely see anyone else (other than the paper guys) and can see cars coming from far off due to their headlights.

daveintoledo
04-07-2006, 12:42 PM
It's been my experience that as long as you put the flier in the paper box and not on the mailbox or post that the mail carriers could care less. I've delivered around 20,000+ fliers over the years and not once did I get a call from the post office. That being said all areas are different so this might not be the case in other parts of the country.
The best way I found was to head out at about midnight and drive on the wrong side of the road (only in subs:) ). You will rarely see anyone else (other than the paper guys) and can see cars coming from far off due to their headlights.

nothing wrong there excep your driving. hahaahhhahhh on the wrong side of the road..
:)

LandscapeMasterpieceGA
04-07-2006, 02:41 PM
No I didn't say piss on being a legitimate insured business, I said piss on anyone in the "professional world" who does not respect those who work in the lawn industry. I'm not sure who this is that you had spoke of, but piss on them.

Oh, yeah, and I'm a man as well as you. If I decide to go 70 in a 55 and get a ticket, I knew the risk, and accept the consequences. Same goes for mailposts, mr 1500 posts.

AND A GREAT FOOTNOTE!

I just got a spring clean-up job for $350 yesterday from a lady who got one of my flyers from her mailpost. Guess what....she's a USPS mail delivery person!!!
LOFL!

daveintoledo
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
and who you where pissing on hhahahhhahh:)

glad it worked out for you.... good luck.....

uvitols
04-07-2006, 04:50 PM
not to get off subject but im also a newbe. ive passed out 350 flyers(with the professional advice from this site) and did receive few results. also, put an ad in the paper with few results.some what frustrated because my results i was hoping for were to more mowing jobs. instead, im busy with @ 20 yrds of mulch total and a sod job.how should i promote more mowing to help me get through the season? thanks

BALSECA LANDSCAPING
04-10-2006, 01:03 PM
I Have Three Kids And I Grab 2 Of Their Friends. Ages 5 Thru 12 We Manage To Get Out 1000 Flyers In About 3 Hours. You Pay Them 5 Bucks Or Buy Them A Treat. Make It A Competition. I Drop Them Off At One End Of The Street Go To The Next Street And Do The Same With The Other Kids And They Meet At The Same Side.

hostingdiva
04-10-2006, 03:05 PM
You should go at night when no one is around so that you're driving does not annoy the neighboors you're trying to solicit for business.

Also, if you spot the paper person, you may want to ask him or her about passing out your flyers too :) I don't know much about the paper passing out business but they may include your flyer with the Sunday paper or whatever paper they're passing out - would save you a lot of trouble if you could cut that kind of deal :dancing:

boxsky
04-10-2006, 09:52 PM
people who run a legitamit busines follow the rules..... or your just a cheap lawn boy......

i love how the newbies come on here and think they can do what ever they want.... ever try the search button....... a FEDERAL offence will not only cost alot, you could go to prison....hahhhahaa try pissing on that...the post office doesnt screw around, there are alot of people here who have tried and got busted and fined big money, then you get to pay the postage for anything you may have put inthe mailbox.....besides the number of flyers that never reach a potential customer.... because they are removed....

let me guess, you have no liabilty insurance, your not registered with the state, and you pay no taxes...

Totally disagree that legitamit business follow the rules. In my area our mailboxes, newspaper slots, ground are littered with realestate agents trying to list houses. It's a hot market here. We get numerous lawn companies such as Scotts, trugreen, chemlawn placing sticker flyers on the mailboxes. Door hangers don't work well in my area because most people here don't use their front door but their garages.

Amazing mail does a nice postcard but it gets expensive.

daveintoledo
04-11-2006, 09:53 AM
[QUOTE=boxsky]Totally disagree that legitamit business follow the rules. In my area our mailboxes, newspaper slots, ground are littered with realestate agents trying to list houses. It's a hot market here. We get numerous lawn companies such as Scotts, trugreen, chemlawn placing sticker flyers on the mailboxes. Door hangers don't work well in my area because most people here don't use their front door but their garages.

do you have insurance, licenses, commercial plates and insurance/./////

your right there is no reason for a legal business to follow the rules., no reason at all.....because someone sells meth, and rapes women..... thats ok, everone is doing it... 'i dont need no stinking licence" ahhahahahhahaahhhahhahhahahahahahahahahhahahahaha

:rolleyes:

boxsky
04-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I'm not condoning what is right or wrong but your statement said legitmate businesses follow the rules. Most don't. Rape and meth is taking a your simply statment a little far.

What I find is weird that you can't put your flyer in a newspaper slot if it is attached to the same post as the mailbox. The pizza shops in this area should be getting fined every other day.