PDA

View Full Version : What a day!!!!

Jason_S
05-04-2001, 09:17 PM
I have a quick story from today to tell you. Since the boss is out of town, I have a bunch of things for myself to do. Today I decided to pick up some mulch that was left at a site . Before I left, I put a big tarp, shovel, pitchfork, and a broom on top of the tarp to keep it down. As I started off on the expressway, all of a sudden I look through my rearview, and see a pitch fork 20 feet in the air and the tarp in the left lane of the interstate!!!!! The pitchfork nearly hit a car, and the broom is now dead! I ran and grabbed the tarp and tools and quickly got my act together. It seems as if the wind quickly lifted the tarp, and popped the two tools in the air! Luckily, only a broom was ruined, and nobody was hit!

I really should have put the tarp in the cab, but was not thinking! I know the tools would have been fine if I didn't have the tarp under them.

Jason_S
05-04-2001, 09:35 PM
Anyone had similar experiences? I still can't believe how odd that was, it has never happened before, but I'll surely take more precautions next time.

greens1
05-04-2001, 09:36 PM
Sounds like a lesson well learned. I had some magnetic signs that I used to put on my car, when I was doing bids, fly off on the freeway. No harm no foul.

Jim L

[Edited by greens1 on 05-04-2001 at 09:40 PM]

Grateful11
05-04-2001, 09:42 PM
You didn't tie the tarp down? If you didn't several concrete blocks wouldn't have held it down.

Jason_S
05-04-2001, 09:47 PM
It's usually ok when folded nicely, not nicely folded today!! I have learned yet another thing to keep in mind as I run back and fourth!

thelawnguy
05-04-2001, 10:31 PM
Yesterday, while listening to the afternoon traffic report on the radio, seems all 5 lanes downtown were blocked by a flatbed truck which apparently lost its stake body coating the highway with mulch.

Powerreeel's blank magnetic signs sure would have come in handy for that unlucky dude lol!!!

lawnboy82
05-04-2001, 10:57 PM
that isnt bad, just losing a broom. in the past i have had the 60 gallon green barrel fly out the back of the truck, no harm. another time last year i had a wheel barrow fly out of the back of the truck cause i didnt put it in there right. went back to find it and it was gone. i have a friend though that has lost back pack blowers, trimmers, and big machines off the back of the trucks. most of the stuff was lost, the big machine was just loaded back on.

FIREMAN
05-04-2001, 11:06 PM
Don't feel bad...I lost a brand new little wonder 8 hp blower .I forgot to tie it down, went around a turn and watched it flip over the side rail of the trailer, bounce and end up on it's wheels...yes rolling the opposite direction of my travel. I looked stupid running down the street chasing my brand new 800 dollar blower....So it came to rest in a big juniper at the bottom of a small hill...still started on the first pull..only a couple of battle scars...

little green guy
05-05-2001, 01:02 AM
I lost a pitch fork and a rake of a trailer once. They flew of when the trailer smashed into a Honda civic at 35mph head on.

kris
05-05-2001, 09:47 AM
The very last job of the year (2 years ago) On a snowy slippery trailer I lost a bobcat bucket(chain came loose)... By the time I turned around to go pick it up , someone stole it...expensive lesson for me.

SCL
05-06-2001, 11:19 AM
Went up a hill and as I started down at 20 mph a guy in a newer caddie cuts in front and decides to do the stop and lefty turn thing. One ton dump and equipment trailer withtwo pallets of pavers. One row of pavers cuts loose on the screeching stop and I left a trail of pavers for about 10 blocks. Good advertising when the truck is blocking traffic while you pick up a half mile mess. Should have hit him:).

jay
05-08-2001, 12:46 AM
I lost a lawnmower out the trailer going 30 mph down the street it took off in a flash. luckily there were no cars around. i went and ran after it and the lady at the house were it stopped in front of ask me to give her a estimate for her yard.