PDA

View Full Version : Drainage for sunken patio

GreenMonster
04-01-2006, 09:48 PM
I'm hoping you guys can give me a few ideas for this patio. It's about 3 years old, and it's now very wavy. It's hard to say if the waviness is due to improper installation (I'm sure that's part of it), or collected water under the pavers, seeing that the h20 has nowhere to go.

Homeowner states that water doesn't pool up, and does indeed drain. Not particularly surprising seeing that there are several large gaps, and it's a course sand in between and below the pavers. I don't know if it's a gravel base or not.

The customer would like to regrade the base so the pavers can be reset properly. I'm a little concerned that something should be done with the water though, to avoid any future problems.

I have a few ideas for drainage, but I don't know if they're any good. Does anybody have real life experience with this sort of situation, or any real suggestions that would work?

BTW, I need to shoot the grade, but I believe the top surface of the patio is about 1'-1.5' above normal water level. Last fall when we had a lot of rain, the patio was probably below the water line.

Also, the patio is pitched from the sliders to the timber steps.

mbella
04-01-2006, 10:15 PM
Mark, is there a perimeter drain that leads to a sump?

Did you shoot the elevations to determine if you have enough fall to direct the water somewhere else?

Whoops, just read that you didn't shoot elevations.

crab
04-01-2006, 10:29 PM
french drain ,plus perf pvc pipe to day light.that close to a pond you my find also you have problems with ground water,combined with a good freeze/ thaw cycle,there might not be a permanent fix.

MarcusLndscp
04-02-2006, 01:30 PM
I'd be willing to bet that the base isn't suitable under there Mark. Everyone in the wolfeboro area are hacks anyway:laugh: ! I think your easiest option is to tie into the perimeter drain if you can. While you're there get rid of dem timbers too!

Dirty Water
04-03-2006, 01:12 AM
Try the houses Perimiter drain if its at all possible though from Picture #2, it almost looks like you can daylight it into the lakefront, but I'd shoot it first :laugh:

MarcusLndscp
04-03-2006, 06:05 PM
I guess you'll see how the drainage is tomorrow when it rains on us all day huh Mark!

kris
04-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Id pass on that job. Its going to cost the guy way more than original and I bet you are waisting your time even doing the estimate

GreenMonster
04-04-2006, 08:34 AM
Id pass on that job. Its going to cost the guy way more than original and I bet you are waisting your time even doing the estimate

We're already doing a wall and a softscape job here.

sheshovel
04-04-2006, 11:00 AM
I bet that patio post is rotting at the base too...or will

Seabass2500
04-09-2006, 11:43 PM
I wouldn't run the drain towards the lake unless you know the lake has an overflow at a certain height. If the lake rises the it will push up to the patio as well.